Found a used Gibson SG special for 400 but I'm debating which to get as I've wanted an SG but I can't afford a Standard at the moment
Also the g400 pro vs regular g400? If I get a g400. I'd likely change pickups so is it any harder to install if the 400 pro has coil tapping?

What would ultimately decide this is trying out both and feeling which necks feels better in my hands, but some opinions would be great
Play the Gibson, if you like it buy it. Certainly some bad ones, but there are always a few gems.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I've got a Gibson SG Special T 2015 and it's great! Great sustain, playability and lovely but basic finish. 

There's just something about that 'Gibson' on the headstock if you ask me!
Gibson SG 2016 1960's Tribute
Fender Standard Stratocaster
Marshall DSL100H
Marshall 1960B 4x12
ProCo Rat 2
As Trashed said, the Gibson could be great, or it could be crap, you've got to play it first. I have an older one with an ebony board, and I love it to pieces, but the nut wasn't cut to fit a 0.042 low E string, which is definitely not huge, the bridge saddles were never cut at all, meaning that this is something a young and very naive version of myself had to cope with (I later just bought a new bridge anyway and sorted out the saddles), and the fret ends could have been done better.

I've played some that turned out much better, some that are FAR worse. No way of knowing without playing it.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
I've heard that Gibson guitars in general tend to vary a lot. What is it about them, in particular that varies? I assume all stock pickups are the same so is it the setup? Do some SG's come out of the factory with fret buzz? Do some need proper truss rod adjustment? Do some have sharp frets? or is it all of the above?
Quote by dementiacaptain
As Trashed said, the Gibson could be great, or it could be crap, you've got to play it first.  I have an older one with an ebony board, and I love it to pieces, but the nut wasn't cut to fit a 0.042 low E string, which is definitely not huge, the bridge saddles were never cut at all, meaning that this is something a young and very naive version of myself had to cope with (I later just bought a new bridge anyway and sorted out the saddles), and the fret ends could have been done better.

I've played some that turned out much better, some that are FAR worse.  No way of knowing without playing it.
I own both a 2017 Gibson SG standard T and an Epiphone SG G400 (not pro). I installed Gibson '61 special pickups, pots, switch and jack in the Epiphone, then tripped across a GREAT deal on the Gibson so I jumped on it. Of the two, the Epiphone is the one that sits on a stand next to the amp 24/7. Why? I like the feel of the Epi, it sounds much better after the electronic swap, and for what I paid for it I don't have to worry much about the scratch/ding factor. That being said, the Gibson is simply a superior instrument in every way. The appearance and sound of the Gibson are understandably better than the Epi, but playability wise (for me anyway) they're quite similar in feel. I don't think the Epi would withstand gigging as well as the Gibson, but I don't gig so no worries there and since I did the electronic work on the Epi myself, I have a soft spot for the cheapie. I bought the Gibson on account of A = the deal I got and B= how much I liked the G400. Rest assured I'll get around to breaking in the Gibson....one of these days. Until then...I'm more than satisfied pounding away on the Epi.
Quote by veimos
I've heard that Gibson guitars in general tend to vary a lot. What is it about them, in particular that varies? I assume all stock pickups are the same so is it the setup? Do some SG's come out of the factory with fret buzz? Do some need proper truss rod adjustment? Do some have sharp frets? or is it all of the above?

It can be practically anything, but sharp frets, poorly cut nuts, a pooor setup, finish issues etc.

Really I don't have a lot of experience with a big swath of Gibsons, but I've heard these complaints from time to time.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by veimos

First time out of the case I did have to do some minor set up on the Gibson (lowered the action a fuzz and a slight intonation tweak) but no fret buzz or sharp frets and no truss rod adjustment was necessary. The '57 pickups in the Gibson are hotter than the '61 specials I put in the Epi but tone wise I'm satisfied with both.
bsadowsky3031 I agree I like the Sg 400 as well, but I guess i need to find out whats better for my purposes. I don't gig, but I do have better guitars if I plan on it. I record. I often have my guitar DI and use axe fx to get my tones. If I can get the 400 and if a pup swap can get me a good enough sound for recording I'll get it. Same goes for the Gibby, if it'll just be better for recording I'd go for that.
Tony Done That's true. This one's only 2012 too so it's not too old. Literally the ONLY thing making me want the G 400 is just that it looks a lot better. The trapezoid inlays just look great which this one lacks.
Quote by veimos
Tony Done That's true. This one's only 2012 too so it's not too old. Literally the ONLY thing making me want the G 400 is just that it looks a lot better. The trapezoid inlays just look great which this one lacks.

I'm like that, with Les Pauls even more so- they don't look right with dots.
Quote by rich.bendall
I've got a Gibson SG Special T 2015 and it's great! Great sustain, playability and lovely but basic finish. 

There's just something about that 'Gibson' on the headstock if you ask me!

There's just something about a First Act logo on a US custom made guitar that pisses off those Gibson sniffers too.   Oh look a Bugera amp too,   
https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2912/33326360500_ab8f0e5595_c.jpg
Quote by nastytroll
There's just something about a First Act logo on a US custom made guitar that pisses off those Gibson sniffers too.   Oh look a Bugera amp too,   
https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2912/33326360500_ab8f0e5595_c.jpg

I'm not sure exactly what this post contributes to this thread

Anyways, $400 seems like a good deal for a used SG special, provided it's in decent condition - just make sure you try before you buy, for reasons previously stated - sometimes it can just be a case of the guitar just not being the right guitar for you with no clear indication as to why, I've played more flawless Gibsons that I just didn't get on with than I care to remember - something just felt "off" about them, to me. So you might love it, you might think "it's ok for the price", or you might hate it, and that's actually not entirely related to how well it's been looked after or whether or not it has any flaws. It's all about personal preference, depending on whether or not the individual guitarist is a good match for the individual guitar, when it comes to Gibsons.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Blompcube
I'm not sure exactly what this post contributes to this thread

Basically making a point of the name on the headstock means very little these days,   Manufacturing technology has taken the guess work out of it, and country of origin means even less.  You just pay a premium for that Gibson badge is all. 
I would go for the Gibson as long as you can play it. g400's are a far bit off IMO.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Decided to go for the gibson which I'll check out tomorrow. Thankfully resale value is there if I end up not liking it