Okay, so I use an Orange Micro Terror, and when I crank it up loud, it starts to cut out past a certain threshold. I asume that this is due to the fact that I am using a Spider IV combo as a cab, and that thing is a digital solid state, so it probably is the speaker. I used to use a smaller 5 watt speaker (yay cheap amp mutilation!), but I blew the speaker over months of regular use. I would assume that all I have to worry about is the speaker blowing, and not the solid state power amp breaking? I mean, why would an amp like that go past it's own breaking point? It probably isn't that. And when I mean loud, I mean past 15 watt max volume, so pretty loud. I'm pretty sure that I don't have to worry, because if the Micro Terror can't handle it's own CLEAN max volumes, there's absolutely no way it could ever survive it's gain past 12:00 (overdriven sounds are past 12, before is clean, pretty simple once you figure that out with 1 minute of playing). It is a combo that could never get that loud, so I'm pretty sure it's that. I've rambled on too long and said the same stuff too much…
Just a teenage girl who loves playing guitar way too much, if that's even possible.

I live for my girlfriend. <3
When a SS amp starts cutting out it is gently suggesting you turn down a bit.  If you ignore the whisper, it becomes louder and more insistent by destroying the speaker or the amp transformer, whichever comes first.  Sometimes it just gives up and lets all the smoke out.  Then you get to go shopping for a new amp.

Heed the whisper.  
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Speakers don't "cut out" unless they have a bad connection. They either work or they fry. If it fried you would know it. If the connection is good (and that means good cable/wire also) then something is wrong with the amp or the impedance of the speaker is too low. The amp is rated for 4ohm minimum, so I doubt it's that. Also, make sure the wire is thick enough (it's only 20 watts, but worth a mention in case you're using 28ga. wire or something lol).
"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect." -some dude
Quote by Prime2515102
Speakers don't "cut out" unless they have a bad connection. They either work or they fry. If it fried you would know it. If the connection is good (and that means good cable/wire also) then something is wrong with the amp or the impedance of the speaker is too low. The amp is rated for 4ohm minimum, so I doubt it's that. Also, make sure the wire is thick enough (it's only 20 watts, but worth a mention in case you're using 28ga. wire or something lol).

I don't know. It might be the wire then. I don't think this ever happened with the small speaker before it died. It might just be the connection. I really hope it isn't the amp. It wouldn't make sense for it to allow you to fry it with normal use (max clean isn't that much on a 20 watt, that's probably below or at gig levels).
Just a teenage girl who loves playing guitar way too much, if that's even possible.

How exactly do you have the Orange and Spider hooked up to each other?  
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by metalmingee

good ?. your problem may lie there.  
Quote by metalmingee

I just have the speaker soldered up to a 1/4" mono jack. Nothing else. I never had this problem with the small speaker, but I also the Line 6 speaker has a wider frequency range.

Edit: I need to test my head out in a music store with a proper cab, and see if that fixes the problem, if so, I might just buy a cab.

Last edited by gogiregion at Mar 27, 2017,
Quote by gogiregion
I just have the speaker soldered up to a 1/4" mono jack. Nothing else. I never had this problem with the small speaker, but I also the Line 6 speaker has a wider frequency range.

Edit: I need to test my head out in a music store with a proper cab, and see if that fixes the problem, if so, I might just buy a cab.

skip the test and just get a proper cab it will make a huge difference in your sound.  also make sure you use a proper cable to link the head and cab as a plain guitar chord isn't what you should use. 
Quote by monwobobbo
skip the test and just get a proper cab it will make a huge difference in your sound.  also make sure you use a proper cable to link the head and cab as a plain guitar chord isn't what you should use. 

Okay. I'm a bit tight on money (I'm in debt to my parents, so I'll have to wait a while), so it could be a little bit.

I did some more reasearch (not that I didn't before I posted, I just continued trying after creating the thread), and apparently with a 4 ohm cab, it is possible for the solid state power amp to overdrive. This can apparently be solved if I buy a larger cab. That explains why there are all those videos on YouTube of people using these things with Marshall or Orange 4x12s and cranking them to max, and annoying everyone in their state.

Quote by diabolical
Usually when you give SS amp too much volume due to its inherent design it starts to *fart out*. Is that the type of cutoff you're referring to or is the sound glitching to where it completely disappears and comes back?

Completely disapears right after making a strange sound, and then comes back soon after. Apparently it's a common problem with people who use an Orange Micro Terror, because it's usually people getting a backup to their tube amp, or peoole new to heads, of which they don't know that to really crank it, you need to use an 8 ohm or higher.