i've been playing through a 4x10 ashdown cab with the 600 watt Mag Ashdown head for about 4 years and sometimes i use a 15 inch Ashdown extension cab in some of the bigger venues my band plays at occasionally...i more often than not play just as a backline rather than through a PA as 99% of the time we play at pubs and small clubs and a huge bass sound rattles the window frames and usually the guitarist complains i'm too loud and moans about everything like all guitarists tend to do....'ive wanted to scale my gear down for a while as it's hard work driving it around...any recommendations on a suitable combo amp that will fit the bill...guitarist is playing through a 60 watt Marshall..which is unbelievably loud for its size
What do you like and what don't you like about the Ashdown? also the usual questions, budget, location etc
smbThe ashdown is great but just a bit big to cart around..up and down flights of stairs etc..no issues with the tone and budget isn't an issue..i'll pay what ever I need to..but if I was to set one i'd say around £500
I'd start with the cabs. 

There are much lighter (and more efficient) cabinets out there. 

I'm working with two designs from greenboy (Dave Green); the fEARfless  F115 and the fEARful 15/6/1. Both of these are anchored with a 15" Eminence kappalite neo-magnet 3015LF, but these cabs are also available with 12" or 10" LF drivers. Both have 6.5" or 5" mids (18Sound or Faital) and a 1" tweeter. The smaller the LF driver, the smaller and lighter the cabinet. They're NOT done with 3/4" plywood, but with lighter plywood and more bracing. The 15/6/1's are around 52 lbs, the F115s perhaps a bit less, with the F115 form factor very interesting and versatile. The 15/6/1 was one of a bunch of designs built for DIY (see speakerhardware.com), but the F115 is ONLY available from authorized builders. Google "greenboy cabinets" or go to http://greenboyaudio.com/

Barefacedbass (dot com) in the UK has been doing some similar lightweight, high efficiency cabinets that are definitely worth looking at. There are others, of course. 

These are capable of being one-handed (by a girl) into a venue. And they fit easily into an early '90's Honda Civic. No seriously. 

A single cabinet will outpunch a 4x10 and produce better bottom end (with no farting out) and handle up to 900W each. I'm using 1500W amps that put out 900W bridged, mono, at 8 ohms (one cabinet) or 1500W bridged, mono, at 4 ohms (two cabinets). And I'm running either a Carvin BX1500 or an old Bass Pod XT into a 1500W DCM1540 or HD1500 power amp. 

The F115  (and the F112 and the F110) can be had with an internal "top hat" for mounting on a speaker stand, and it comes with a corner whacked so that it can be used like a floor monitor. Since they're custom-built, you simply tell them to "reverse baffles" on a pair of them to properly place the speakers for best reproduction stacked. 

Last edited by dspellman at Mar 28, 2017,
The F115 is 26" high x 20" wide x 16.75" deep, ranges from 43-52 lbs.
The F112 is 20" high x 16" wide x 16" deep, 32-38 lbs. 
The F110 is 18" high x 13.75" wide x 15" deep, 29-34 lbs. 
As you can see, they can be customized (color, etc.) quite a bit. Finish is Acrytech's Duratex (usually), though some cabinets have been LineX'd. 

Last edited by dspellman at Mar 28, 2017,
Quote by tedred
i've been playing through a 4x10 ashdown cab with the 600 watt Mag Ashdown head for about 4 years and sometimes i use a 15 inch Ashdown extension cab in some of the bigger venues my band plays at occasionally...i more often than not play just as a backline rather than through a PA as 99% of the time we play at pubs and small clubs and a huge bass sound rattles the window frames and usually the guitarist complains i'm too loud and moans about everything like all guitarists  tend to do....'ive wanted to scale my gear down for a while as it's hard work driving it around...any recommendations on a suitable combo amp that will fit the bill...guitarist is playing through a 60 watt Marshall..which is unbelievably loud for its size

As you're in the UK, I'd look at Barefaced. The Supercompact or the Retro 110 would probably be amazing for you. 
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by tedred
a huge bass sound rattles the window frames and usually the guitarist complains i'm too loud and moans about everything like all guitarists  tend to do...

most bass players need attention, so they crank up their bass way to loud and don't understand tone or mixing.
not accusing you of these things but thats, at least in my experience, why guitarists "moan".
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
Last edited by the_white_bunny at Mar 30, 2017,
pjb makes some damn fine combo amps, but definitely not cheap
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
the_white_bunny christ i like to be heard mate but i'm not one for drowning out the guitarist..(which you didn't accuse me of as you say).i just want something a bit smaller to cart around to gigs...tbh..i've more issues with vocalists over the years when setting up sound ;-p
The old 4x10's have been largely superseded by modern technology. They were a great solution to getting plenty of volume from relatively low powered amps and speakers that individually couldn't handle a lot of bass. For me now the technological sweet spot is with 1x12's. one of these is just about enough to keep up with a drummer, and will cover small gigs. For bigger gigs and a little headroom a pair will give you all the volume you need. Each cab will weigh in the region of 15kg and be an easy lift. The important thing is to find ones whose sound you like. There are plenty of lightweight 12's to choose from so start auditioning them. 
Quote by Phil Starr
The old 4x10's have been largely superseded by modern technology. They were a great solution to getting plenty of volume from relatively low powered amps and speakers that individually couldn't handle a lot of bass. For me now the technological sweet spot is with 1x12's. one of these is just about enough to keep up with a drummer, and will cover small gigs. For bigger gigs and a little headroom a pair will give you all the volume you need. Each cab will weigh in the region of 15kg and be an easy lift. The important thing is to find ones whose sound you like. There are plenty of lightweight 12's to choose from so start auditioning them. 

I've had a lot of people tell me that a modern 1x12 is "just about enough to keep up with a drummer, and will cover small gigs." I don't think there's a difference in the frequency response between the 1x12 (in my last post) and the 1x15 version, but the 1x15 is louder. And larger and heavier.  I usually err on the side of bigger, but I'm learning. 
Quote by dspellman
I've had a lot of people tell me that a modern 1x12 is "just about enough to keep up with a drummer, and will cover small gigs." I don't think there's a difference in the frequency response between the 1x12 (in my last post) and the 1x15 version, but the 1x15 is louder. And larger and heavier.  I usually err on the side of bigger, but I'm learning. 

I think that's fair. All other things being equal a bigger speaker will be louder than a small one as the sound pressure developed is proportional to the square of the area at low frequencies. The good modern 12's just have better excursions which allow them to pump more air, so long as the amp is powerful enough to drive them. I regularly gig 50-100 people with a single 12 in British pubswhich are usually pretty small. If I know it's a bigger venue I take a second cab. It's versatile and I can carry one in each hand, they fit in the boot of my VW Golf. There's nothing wrong with 2x10's or 15's but you don't need a couple of 4x10's any more and unless you can afford roadies why would you? That's just as a techie though, as a musician just go for what sounds the way you want. I suppose I'm trying to tell the OP to start trying out good quality lightweight 12's. If he can't get the tone he wants then a couple of 2x10's or lightweight 15's are  all good too, but you have to start somewhere.
just to add an alternative to the speaker wars, personally i run a carvin AC300 with extension cab (1x12, 1x6.5 and tweeter on each). i run it through a bass preamp rather than its original purpose which is why i didn't recommend it above

if all i worried about was a rounded low-end, a 12" is probably what i'd go with, but in terms of getting a nice, balanced sound, i don't think i'll ever change from my current set-up except to go towards a ton of 5" speakers (like PJB cabinets) unless i just had to move a ton of air and needed an 8x10 for some ridiculous reason

YMMV but if you can design a fEARful or get a hold of a speaker with multiple speaker sizes (or like PJB, tons of very small speakers that move the air required and still have a clear tone) that's the best possible route you can go IMO
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
The first thing you do is set up your rig on the guitarists side of the stage washing at you.

If you ever find ye olde Genz Benz NeoX 400-112t, get it.  300 watts that will shock the drummer
Ibanez BTB 1006 Fretless and 405 (no Barts)
456 & 455(w/Barts)
Genz Benz NeoX400 112T & NeoX 112T cab.
Digitech BP-8 (x2)
Yamaha PB-1
Boss: SYB-5, PS-2, OD-20, EQ-20, PH-3,BF-3, CE-20, DD-20
Morely A/B
Soviet -  I myself just would not go in with anything under the GBE 600 which is 300@8ohms and 425@4ohms (I blew the crap out of a guy running 2x 100 w crate amps mismatched ohmage through 3 412's each,  He fired me despite him having 3 stacks)

There is one on Ebay Right now.

The 400 specs are 200@8 and 330@4 which means to get to 300 you need at least a 2 transducer cabint.

ALSO, the 400 has only a Solid State Preamp, where the 600 gives you the S/S and the 12AX7 Tube pre that you can mix (as I do and love the tone), but the 400 might be right for you.

The fluffy viking stuff really makes the prospect of getting into that particular rig distasteful to me.

The tech specs on the GBE's are that they will sound like twice the Wattage listed.
456 & 455(w/Barts)
Digitech BP-8 (x2)
Yamaha PB-1
Morely A/B
Additionally, if you know the frequency that is booming from your amp in any particular room, you can use a device called a Notch Filter to excise that out of your signal, and that might solve the problem per each room you encounter.
456 & 455(w/Barts)
Digitech BP-8 (x2)
Yamaha PB-1
Morely A/B