I play gigs regularly with my band so am a serious live player.

My main set-up consists of a 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard (black) which has the most killer treble pickup I have ever heard (lucky me) and a Marshall Jubillee half - stack. I know this suggests a Slash wannabe but, you can't argue that a Les Paul through that amp is tone heaven. My tone is darker and thicker and my playing style heavier.

However, I always have, and always will, adore the BC Rich Mockingbird. I know, I know, it's another Slash trademark. But the tone I hear live plus the adorable look (voted best looking guitar of all time) makes me want to add this guitar to my arsenal. 

My question is - which one. The range of Mockingbirds is vast. I know the SL is the Slash signature but the ST seems to recieve good reviews. And currently, the Mk 7 and Mk 11 appear to be the higher end models amongst BCRich's new range.

I know Mockingbirds have been discussed extensively on guitar forums over the past years. However, there is no consensus as to which model curently available has the spec needed for a classic Mockingbird tone (differences in body wood, floyd rose,pick ups and tone pots).

I was hoping we could reach some clarity regarding currently available Mockingbirds and the tone they produce compared to much older BC Rich Mockingbirds.

Thanks very much,
Big problem is finding someone who's tried the older ones. I think monwobobbo might have.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
first let me say that the "classic" Mockingbird tone isn't Slash's. if you listen to late 70s Rick Derringer or Craig Chiquico (not sure on spelling) from Jefferson Starship you will hear "classic" Mockingbird tones. 

first thing to understand is that slash is using a US made guitar that has the fancy electronics in it. none of the import models have this setup. this includes teh abiltyy to run pickups as active or passive as well as a host of other options. it takes a while just to figure out how it all works. the ST models and the MK11 have a very basic version of this which is pretty much coil splitting and a basic vari-tone type knob. gives you some tonal options but nothing like the US  version.  keep in mind that you are hearing the guitar thru Slash's very nice rig so don't expect to get that thru the typical home rig. 

the ST series were pretty decent for the price i thought. the pickups are duncan design so would need to be replaced. i haven't been able to try the new MK series yet but they are getting great reviews. the top end MK's can be ordered with DiMarzios i believe (which is what the 70s-early 80s ones had (my early 80s Mockingbird had distortion+ pups wish i still had that guitar). 

not sure if they came with Floyd Roses or not but you may want to look into the early 2000s NJ series (not to be confused with the mid 80s ones) or the Exotic series from that same time period. they don't have any fancy electronics but are very well made. i currently play a 2006 NJ series Eagle which i use instead of a LP.  hope this helps a little

this should be in electric guitar if dave hadn't mentioned me i wouldn't have even noticed this
^^ Yeah I figured when i mentioned you you'd spot it was in the wrong forum too

Also if he can find one the Czech-built Calibre Classic series (something like that) was very nice. I think from the mid-2000s. Not sure if there was a Floyd model, though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The guitars that Rico built are now followed by a slew of cheap imitations. I've been lucky enough to have a few friends that own the original insturments, one had a Rico bass from late 80s and the other a Warlock from around early 80s. Both are what you would probably at this point call fantastic high end luthier instruments. What is on the market now is cheap junk, and most of them are unplayable.

Slash had all his guitars custom built, so I wouldn't be surprised that his BCRich is also a custom luthier build that they just slapped the logo on, as is his Gibson.

I'd say look at Rico Jr (or Bernie Rico), if you can afford them:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/B-C-Rich-Bernie-Rico-Jr-Handcrafted-Mockingbird-Electric-Guitar-Cobalt-Blue-/292064598595?hash=item4400681a43:g:-xAAAOSw32lY00u9
Quote by diabolical
The guitars that Rico built are now followed by a slew of cheap imitations. I've been lucky enough to have a few friends that own the original insturments, one had a Rico bass from late 80s and the other a Warlock from around early 80s. Both are what you would probably at this point call fantastic high end luthier instruments. What is on the market now is cheap junk, and most of them are unplayable.

Slash had all his guitars custom built, so I wouldn't be surprised that his BCRich is also a custom luthier build that they just slapped the logo on, as is his Gibson.

I'd say look at Rico Jr (or Bernie Rico), if you can afford them:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/B-C-Rich-Bernie-Rico-Jr-Handcrafted-Mockingbird-Electric-Guitar-Cobalt-Blue-/292064598595?hash=item4400681a43:g:-xAAAOSw32lY00u9

wouldn't call all the current production BC Rich models unplayable junk. yes much of the actual cheap stuff is sub par but the high end neck through guitars tend to be decent. i'd put my Eagle up against any number of guitars that most would consider good and not be embarrassed. now i'll confess that you couldn't give me any of the models with a widow headstock and i don't care much for Warlocks but the original designs from the mid to late 70s i love ( Bich , Eagle, Mockingbird). 

Slash's Mockingbird (at least the ones in the early 90s vids is an actual BC Rich but again it's a US made one which is the same as a Custom Shop guitar. you can still get US made BCR's but they are really expensive ($5000) and have to be custom ordered. we have an authorized dealer here that has been with them since the 70s so they do carry a couple of these in stock. fantastic stuff but way beyond my price range.  need to get my ass over there to try the new MK series but it's about a 60 mile trip these days and i don't have the time very often. BC Rich has a new owner who seems to be interested in reviving the brand to it's former glory.  back in the early 80s when i had my Mockingbird jaws dropped when i pulled it out of it's case. back then they were rock star guitars and most hadn't even seen one let alone own one. (only guitar i've ever let go that i truly regret). 
$5k is way too much for custom shop BCRich. They sub-contract to local US luthiers, if you find who they are you can possibly buy their guitars instead for 1/2 that.The original Mockinbirds were amazing, the Warlocks I've played were very good, akin to a Jackson USA in quality. I've always wanted a Mockinbird myself, although IMO they ruined neck design lately, but the ones sold in stores, even the high end consumer stuff (about $1k) weren't very good. A buddy had a BCRich soloist type of body that he got from the new ones for about $800, he liked it, but it just didn't quite fit right. Lots of production glitches, the fretboard wood looked especially cheap...

Look at this one - what are the inlays, clouds?
Quote by diabolical
$5k is way too much for custom shop BCRich. They sub-contract to local US luthiers, if you find who they are you can possibly buy their guitars instead for 1/2 that.The original Mockinbirds were amazing, the Warlocks I've played were very good, akin to a Jackson USA in quality. I've always wanted a Mockinbird myself, although IMO they ruined neck design lately, but the ones sold in stores, even the high end consumer stuff (about $1k) weren't very good. A buddy had a BCRich soloist type of body that he got from the new ones for about $800, he liked it, but it just didn't quite fit right. Lots of production glitches, the fretboard wood looked especially cheap...

Look at this one - what are the inlays, clouds?

yes the inlays are clouds and that is a vintage feature. i'd love to have that guitar actually. my Eagle has no issues and the fingerboard is a very nice ebony. the Korean made neck throughs that i've tried have all been really nice. the necks tend to be thicker and wider than what many are used to but they work fine. BC Rich isn't for everybody which is fine. i'm sure thee are way better deals at $5000 to be had or even for half that. i'd rather invest in a vintage 70s model for that kind of money. 
that's why the calibre classic series was so good. shame it was discontinued. i only found out about them after they'd been discontinued and thought i'd missed the boat. but then out of the blue thomann got a new one into stock (maybe NOS?) for about £550 IIRC, so I jumped on that. Was very lucky.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
diabolical

Fernandes' sister company, Burny, also makes Mock-mockingbirds...

http://www.fernandes.co.jp/products/burny_guitar/burny-brand-musician-model.html

(I'd probably still buy the Rico or Rich, though, if I'm honest.)
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
The original B.C. Rich Mockingbird used a whole hell of a lot of maple, which made them heavy and bright.  They had a lot of tone controls and DiMarzio Super Distortion pickups, so most people thought they were on the bright sounding side, but they were pretty versatile hard rock guitars.  I'm not sure what you mena by the "classic" Mockingbird tone.  They were beautiful, heavy guitars for heavy rock music.

"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Thanks guys all your replies are much appreciated. My apologies, and perhaps ignorance, when I say "classic" Mockingbird sound I'm hearing a big Les Paul type sound with slightly more mid-range  which a lot of reviews report. 

The current models all get good reviews, but it depends on who is giving the review in my opinion - reviewers rarely give their background/tastes for context.

So if I wanted a new Mockingbird it would have to be either: 
The Mk 7 (£800) mahogany body, set in neck, (Coil Tap, VariTone,  3-Position Selector, Phase Reversal), seemingly cheaper Floyd Rose - pickups would need replacing.
The Mk 11 (£1500) has mahogany body, neck thru, (Coil Tap, VariTone,  3-Position Selector, Phase Reversal), Original Floyd Rose and there seems to be two Mk11's. £300 more gets you DiMarzio pickups so I'd probably just replace the pickups on the non Dimarzio model.  

The ST (second hand about £800?) has mahogany body, neck thru, electronics as above, Original Floyd Rose. 
Similarly, the NJ series seem solid. 

It seems to be a case of keeping your eye out for a gem coming along and snapping it up where Mockingbirds are concerned. Its a shame there's so much cheap rubbish out there?
£1500 sounds awfully expensive when you see what else you can get for that kind of money.

I mean, if you have your heart set on a Mockingbird, that's fair enough, and I'm guessing nothing else (even an objectively better guitar) will scratch that itch, so I sympathise in that respect, but yeah. It's worth bearing in mind.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?