I am looking to buy a white guitar with maple fretboard, no pickguard, dual humbucker and tremolo.
In my $300-$500 budget for used, I have found locally these two models
Ibanez RGT42MDX 2010 model neck through
and
Jackson DK2M 2007 model bolt on neck (made in Japan)
I would like to know your thoughts on which is a better purchase.
I mainly play old school metal and hard rock and not very good at it
Last edited by Corrado75 at Mar 29, 2017,
I recently purchased a DK2M to add to my collection of MIJ Jackson guitars I really like the look of the white/maple with black markers it is a great looking and great playing guitar. I got lucky and bought mine for $200 and a 42mm brass big block I had sitting around.

Neck through is always great for accessibility to the upper frets.

Both have thin necks

The Ibanez has an Edge III tremolo the Jackson has a JT580LP neither of which are the best systems on the market I have a few guitars with the JT580LP trems and if set up properly they are stable systems and for the most part stay in tune I do own a couple of Edge III also and IMO the Jackson tremolo is better.

Both will have thin necks with 24 jumbo frets.

The Jackson has better pickups it should (if it is stock) have a pair of Seymour Duncan pickups JB/JM which will be better than the stock INF pups on the Ibanez.

Both guitars be good for old school metal and hard rock the Jackson just happens to have a great set of pickups that do old school metal very well.

If you prefer the neck through and go for the Ibanez you'll probably end up wanting to upgrade the pickups.

Between the two the biggest contest for me would be tremolo and pickups which the Jackson wins the Ibanez definately wins the neck joint category.

Where are you located?

What Amp/effects will you be playing through?

What bands or styles are you playing specifically?
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Mar 29, 2017,
Quote by Evilnine
I recently purchased a DK2M to add to my collection of MIJ Jackson guitars I really like the look of the white/maple with black markers it is a great looking and great playing guitar. I got lucky and bought mine for $200 and a 42mm brass big block I had sitting around.

Neck through is always great for accessibility to the upper frets.

Both have thin necks

The Ibanez has an Edge III tremolo the Jackson has a JT580LP neither of which are the best systems on the market I have a few guitars with the JT580LP trems and if set up properly they are stable systems and for the most part stay in tune I do own a couple of Edge III also and IMO the Jackson tremolo is better.

Both will have thin necks with 24 jumbo frets.

The Jackson has better pickups it should (if it is stock) have a pair of Seymour Duncan pickups JB/JM which will be better than the stock INF pups on the Ibanez.

Both guitars be good for old school metal and hard rock the Jackson just happens to have a great set of pickups that do old school metal very well.

If you prefer the neck through and go for the Ibanez you'll probably end up wanting to upgrade the pickups.

Between the two the biggest contest for me would be tremolo and pickups which the Jackson wins the Ibanez definately wins the neck joint category.

Where are you located?

What Amp/effects will you be playing through?

What bands or styles are you playing specifically?

Thanks for the detailed reply, it is VERY informative.
I have a Blackstar HT Club 40
I play just to mess around. Sabbath, Ozzy , Queensryche. I particularly like Zakk's tone...Chugga Chugga Squealy!!!
I own a EP LP Custom and absolutely love the neck and feel of it.
Quote by Corrado75
Thanks for the detailed reply, it is VERY informative.
I have a Blackstar HT Club 40
I play just to mess around. Sabbath, Ozzy , Queensryche. I particularly like Zakk's tone...Chugga Chugga Squealy!!!
I own a EP LP Custom and absolutely love the neck and feel of it.

The Duncan JB/JM pickups will be perfect for those styles although for Zakk's sound EMG 81/85 will be better.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

Quote by Evilnine
The Duncan JB/JM pickups will be perfect for those styles although for Zakk's sound EMG 81/85 will be better.

What would you say is the current market price for a used  DK2M?
i'd say the jackson's better, though probably wouldn't hurt to keep some money aside in case you want to upgrade the trem.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'd take the Jackson out of those 2.

White Superstrat with a maple neck is pretty common - Jackson, Ibanez, ESP/LTD, Kramer, Washburn, Charvel, etc.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by Corrado75

$300-400 in the United States. Case queen time capsules are more, poorly modified/heavily used are less.
for fucks sake listen to Evilnine.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Corrado75

I got lucky and bought my DK2M from a former bandmate for $200 and a 42mm brass big block that I had sitting around it's in near mint condition no dings or scratches and minor , but $300 upward of $400 maybe for one that is near mint with a good hard case.

It is generally $250-$500 USD for a used MIJ Jackson depending on model, condition etc. I paid $500 for my MIJ RR3 with the Eerie Dess swirl paint job and original Jackson Bloodline HSC it was pretty much flawless and looked as iff someone bought it an never took it out of the case I paid up for it because I know the Eerie Dess paint job cost more than a standard finish when it was new.

If you can get the DK2M and it is in good shape and unmolested (stock) for a reasonable price it would be the best choice of the two, the pickups are already gret and later down the line you could spend a little to upgrade the tremolo and have a stellar axe.

Quote by risingforce1
Definitely look for a used charvel:

Thats a good idea too as long as it is one of the original MIJ import series but they are less common than the DK2M on the used market. I have an '89 MIJ Charvel Fusion Custom and it will absolutely smoke any of those new desolation series Charvels.
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Mar 30, 2017,
Out of those two I'd for the Jackson
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
In this instance, the Jackson is the far superior guitar.

Put an OFR in it and you have a killer axe for very little money.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
The charvels with the strat headstock are the newer ones since fender bought them. You should be able to find an older 80-90's one for much cheaper.

I regret not buying the charvel 25th anniversary years ago after playing it at a store. Now they go for about double what they were new back than.
Quote by risingforce1
The charvels with the strat headstock are the newer ones since fender bought them. You should be able to find an older 80-90's one for much cheaper.

I regret not buying the charvel 25th anniversary years ago after playing it at a store. Now they go for about double what they were new back than.

I regretted having to sell my Candy Blue '91 Charvel Fusion Custom to pay bills some years ago (sucks being a grownup) it was always "the one that got away" I found a near mint Candy Red '89 Fusion Custom last year at my local GC for $350 while looking online I immediately went straight to GC after work and bought it.

It was a feeling of vindication I was heartbroke when I had to sell my blue one because it was an awesome guitar but mostly because it was the first "real" guitar I had ever purchased prior to the Charvel I had owned mostly cheap copies of brand name guitars. I have 15 guitars and if I ever get in a situation where I have to sell them off I will not sell the Charvel it is part of my core group that are NFS no matter what.
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Mar 31, 2017,
So pretty much every single person that replied would take the Jackson. I guess the neck through design of the Ibanez does not compensate for the better bridge and pups in the Jackson.
^ yeah pretty much. neck-thru isn't necessarily better than bolt-on, so most people would prefer the better bolt-on instrument. it's not just the pickups and the bridge (the bridge in the jackson ideally should be swapped too), it's that the jackson should be the better guitar, too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?