[ANSWER] my guitar had active pickups which weren't playing nicely with the fuzz face. Switched to another guitar and all is well. [/ANSWER]

Hello learned Internet guitar gentle-persons. I'm having big problems with my fuzz face mini and it not working except for certain circumstances. I hope somebody can help me this is the second fuzz face I've had having sent the old one back for the same problem so now I'm convinced it's because I'm being dopey. I have posted a video of the problem here...

Last edited by patrick0mooney at Apr 24, 2017,
Thats weird. Maybe it has something to do with the buffer? I know fuzzes can be particularly finicky when it comes to input. What guitar are you using and does the pedal do the same thing with different patch cables? 
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
have you checked your cords? perhaps tried something different. that is weird but obviously there is something about the signal that the fuzz doesn't like. i'd suggest contacting Dunlop as they may be aware of some issue that would cause this. 
Have you tried a different cable? I could be way off but I would suspect there's something wrong with your cable between the cathedral and the FF, or maybe between the guitar and the pedal. It's a bit hard to tell, but I think from the EHX site the cathedral is true bypass, so it won't be buffered until it's turned on... and once it's on the buffer may well fix the problem in your cable.

that's what i'd try first. get another cable which you know works.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Have you tried a different cable? I could be way off but I would suspect there's something wrong with your cable between the cathedral and the FF, or maybe between the guitar and the pedal. It's a bit hard to tell, but I think from the EHX site the cathedral is true bypass, so it won't be buffered until it's turned on... and once it's on the buffer may well fix the problem in your cable.

that's what i'd try first. get another cable which you know works.

The buffer mentioned here, I think, is the most likely "fix" for this problem right now.
I'm not thinking cables though.
Have you tried with different guitars?
Different pickups on the same guitar (and are they single coil, or humbuckers, high output, low output?)
Any electronics in the guitar?
^ I was just thinking that, a while back, I had some pancake jack cables which sounded really bad (almost like there was a half-assed bypass pedal in front of them) and people (matt I think) said they were likely not made properly and something was grounding inside the cable (or something like that). But when I put a buffer or just turned a pedal on in front of them, it fixed the problem. I was wondering if this might just be a more extreme version of what happened to me.

Also from the principle of "try the easiest fix first", trying a new cable has got to be fairly easy (assuming he has more cables).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
OK, So I have read in some places that playing through a fuzz face with active pickups can cause issues so I will try with another guitar and post the results... this is way more complicated than it should be :P
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ I was just thinking that, a while back, I had some pancake jack cables which sounded really bad (almost like there was a half-assed bypass pedal in front of them) and people (matt I think) said they were likely not made properly and something was grounding inside the cable (or something like that). But when I put a buffer or just turned a pedal on in front of them, it fixed the problem. I was wondering if this might just be a more extreme version of what happened to me.

Also from the principle of "try the easiest fix first", trying a new cable has got to be fairly easy (assuming he has more cables).

I'm a lazy mofo sometimes and swapping cables is the easiest and cheapest.
I know crappy or just old and worn out cables have caused me a few headaches over the years.
But fuzzes, especially the fuzzface are really fucking picky about impedance and other funny words.

I built a Shin EI FY-2 a few years ago, using a Ge transistor in Q2.
Really high output pickups like actives made it do weird things, like when the strings started dying out, the distortion would increase.
Although I just dropped that Ge in, I didn't bias it at all.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Apr 4, 2017,
^ Yeah that's true. I didn't realise he had active pickups so that might not be helping.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
huh, that's weird normally FFes have a ton of bass
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
oh yeah, i misread

yeah i haven't tried that one but i know it's one of the vintage classic type fuzzes.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I was testing with a 1987 Clapton strat which has active mid boost. Changed to an epiphone black beauty and it works fine... So lesson learned. If a pedal is misbehaving, try a different guitar.
Fuzz faces are mega picky when it comes to input impedance so it isn't much of a stretch to assume that different pickups give different results.

A buffered pedal may be the permanent solution.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee