Page 1 of 2
First post on UG, hope it's in the right forum...

So basically I play a Les Paul (Studio & Standard). I used to have an SG but sold that as I love my LP and it is my go to guitar for just about any style that I feel like playing.

I have never owned a Fender, but am sure that the Tele is for me (as opposed to the Strat). I just feel it in my heart more, the look, the history, the shape, the masterpieces created on Tele's (note some Floyd & Zeppelin), this is an instrument that I want to own. Period.

So with that out the way, my question is this;

Which model?!

I see a lot of guys loving the humbuckers on a Tele, but I'm an LP guy: it's those single coils that are part of the attraction!!

What would you experienced guitarists out there recommend for me (preferably those who own or have owned both LP & Tele)?

I cant try out different models because I am out working in Qatar and am having one brought back from the States. So it's basically a case of "let him know which one and he'll buy it and bring it back over" kind of thing.

Advice eagerly awaited.

Oh and a final note: forget customs etc. I am not out to spend 5000 Dollars, that's what my LP's are for   looking at American Standard, Deluxe etc etc (as I said I have no idea about Fenders, which is a sin in itself...)

Thanks in advance guys, looking forward to your input.

Cheers,
Captain Relapse has done it again...
how picky about things like nut width and fretboard radius?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Mar 30, 2017,
I'm sort of interested in this discussion, too. If I were buying a first tele tomorrow, I think I'd want the things that are critical to "tele-ness," such as the basic single coil pickups and bridge. The modifications wouldn't be there, because that would change the basic character of the guitar. Putting a pair of humbuckers on a tele just seems to change it a lot toward making it a Les Paul, and if you're going to do that, why bother with a clunky tele body and neck heel?

What I would like changed, having played a few teles, is the neck. I'd prefer slimmer, wider, with a flatter fretboard and bigger frets, with medium jumbo or jumbo a preference. And I'd probably like the controls reversed (there's a famous mod that does that). I'd probably prefer a rosewood or ebony fretboard to maple, but I'd definitely stick with a maple neck. 

Where do I find *that* tele?
gregs1020 Not so picky mate, one of the reasons I'm finally looking outside of Gibson is for a change; not only in tone and shape but in playability.

A change in fretboard radius would be welcome as it would be a challenge for someone so used to Gibsons, the way I see it as this would increase my playing in time making me more adaptable to different instruments for different styles.

I'm just stuck as I see so many options. Some saying MIM are basically the same as MIA and others saying MIM have problems straight out the box.

Probably gonna go for a MIA, but have no idea which one (single coils is s must though)

Cheers,
PS going for a Fender Mustang amp also, tried one out while in Dubai for the weekend and loved it.

Currently using a Yamaha THR10C for my practice amp but that mustang was awesome. Bet it would go great with a Tele...
This website has a decent selection of used guitars at good prices, including Teles from Fender...and G&L, Leo Fender's last guitar company.. Some are USAs.
http://www.guitarsandeffects.com/electricguitars.html
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
The 88, as a fellow LP guy, I've been looking at a lot of Teles to add the collection as well. I have a Strat and a couple of PRS's, so a Telecaster is kind of the last link in the chain. I've been looking at and playing a Deluxe Thinline. It doesn't have the typical Tele position of the pickup selector, but still has that honk. The semi hollow body combined with the noiseless pickups really accentuates that sparkly high end. Add a rosewood fretboard for a more at home feel to a Les Paul guy, and it gives a little bit of comfort among so many differences.

Of course, if you want that old style Tele bridge and finished maple fretboard, you gotta step it up just over a thousand clams for the American Elite Telecaster Thinline. I probably haven't moved on a Tele recently because I'm waiting for some of these to hit the used market for a more reasonable price. Right now, they're running close to $1600 used and only $300 more for a new one.

I'll keep jamming on my current git-boxes till then. Whatever you decide, rock it! -- Jim
Quote by The 88
A change in fretboard radius would be welcome as it would be a challenge for someone so used to Gibsons, the way I see it as this would increase my playing in time making me more adaptable to different instruments for different styles.
In principle, sure, but vintage radius is pretty much only used by Fender, and a lot of people loathe it, especially in combination with the smaller vintage frets. If you're not able to try out the instruments I'd steer clear of the vintage-style models on that account. If you like the vibe of vintage models, the Mexican Classic Player models have modern-radius fretboards with modern frets on vintage-looking instruments which avoids that potential issue.

Quote by The 88
I'm just stuck as I see so many options. Some saying MIM are basically the same as MIA and others saying MIM have problems straight out the box.
In my experience, neither of these statements is true. MIMs are excellent stuff for the money, but MIAs generally do represent a meaningful step up. Also, although the partnership no longer operates there are still a few MIJ models to be had in stores (as well as many, many more secondhand but yours doesn't sound like a situation where that'd be ideal), although most of these are vintage reissues. If you're positive you won't mind the vintage-style fretboards they do represent excellent value for money, though.

Quote by The 88
Probably gonna go for a MIA, but have no idea which one (single coils is s must though)

Cheers,
Since I'm a Tele buff I have a pretty fair idea of what's out there, so I'll list off some of the key ones to look at:
  • Right at the bottom of the range there's Squier Classic Vibes and Mexican Standards. These are good value for money but it doesn't sound like you're really looking at that price range so unless you tell me otherwise I'll count them as mentioned and ignore them for now.

• There's two higher-level Mexican ranges that'll give you a solid traditional-style Tele, which are the Classic Series and the Classic Player. They're pretty similar platforms; however, the Classic Series is a set of basic more-or-less vintage-faithful instruments - including the vintage-style fretboards - while the Classic Player range (in the case of the Tele, that's the Baja and the Baja '60s) have modern-style fretboards as I mentioned earlier, in combination with vintage-style neck profiles, which in the Baja's case is a pretty chunky soft-V, as well as some extra features like an extended switching arrangement allowing for both pickups in either series or parallel and in- or out-of-phase. Also, the Classic Players both have higher-end Fender pickups, whereas the Classic Series use anonymous "vintage-style-pickups". Even so, all those models are really decent classic Teles for what I imagine is well under a grand in USD. There are also lacquer and road-worn versions of these. For me, they don't represent good value for money, as it's a substantial extra cost for much the same guitar with a less-durable finish but for those really keen on "vintage feel" it may be worth it.

• Around this price point there's the Mexican Deluxe models, which are a three-pickup and a Thinline Telecaster. I believe these are pretty recent and I don't have experience with either. Both seem to be aiming to be the Mexi equivalent of the former American Deluxe (now American Elite) series in that they have some little features like a flatter Gibson-radius fretboard and countoured neck heels in combination with a fairly standard general setup.

• The MIJ models also sit around this price point. The main ones that still show up in stores are the '52 and the '62 Custom reissues. Both are really good Teles for the money (otherwise I wouldn't own one, of course!), but they are vintage reissues, and as such do have the tight radius fretboard. Again, if that's fine with you, these are very much worth considering. They don't come with my favourite pickups, in all fairness, though. For me the instrument was worth it but if modding isn't going to be a feasible option then you may want to pass on these on the off chance you're not a fan of those either.

• The American Special is basically the same setup as a Mexican Standard produced at an MIA level. That's not to say it's no better than the Mexi but in my view it occupies a slightly pointless role in the price range as there are more interesting options for a little more and a little less. But even so, it ought to do as good a job of being a Tele as any comparably priced instruments.

• The American Professional recently replaced the American Standard, though I suspect the latter can still be found pretty easily if you prefer it. Not especially many bells and whistles but essentially it's a really good Telecaster. It's got a compensated three-saddle bridge, which is both much less ugly - in my opinion - than the Strat-saddled six-saddle used by many other modern models and able to be more accurately intonated than the traditional three saddle (which, for the record, really doesn't intonate all that badly in the first place), as well as being the classic saddle material for Teles up till around the start of the '60s so in theory the "right" tone for sounding like a classic Tele. Besides that, it's basically "just a Tele", but done well. The American Standard is similar, the main differences being the six-saddle bridge, and a contour on the back of the body of the Standard that makes it dig into your ribcage a bit less when you're sitting down (probably as a Les Paul player you wouldn't be too bothered by the flat back).

• The American Vintage Reissues are much the same as the earlier-mentioned vintage style models so I won't go over the same stuff, essentially the main difference between AVRIs and cheaper vintage-style models is the much more intense focus on vintage detail on the AVRIs, which are pretty much designed to be just like an instrument you could've bought in a specific year of the '50s or '60s. There only seem to be two currently in production, the '58 and the '64, but lots of other years have been done in the past. For the record, when dealing with vintage-style Teles and Strats '50s generally means maple fretboards, while '60s (and sometimes '59) means rosewood (and if it's done by specific year, pre '63 is thicker "slab" fretboards, while post-'63 is thinner "round-lam" ones). Nothing referred to as a reissue will ever have a modern (9.5") fretboard radius, as Fender used 7.25" exclusively until the 1980s.

• Finally, there's the Elite series and the Deluxe series which it replaced. These are pretty much the top level production Fenders, which are essentially the American Professional/Standard plus a bunch of extra features. Extended switching options, as on the Classic Players, compound fretboard radius (9.5" at the nut end for comfortable chords, 14" at the body end for lead playing), locking machine heads, a few unusual finish colours, a unique three-saddle bridge setup for the Thinline, a truss rod adjustment wheel for easy access at the heel without any ugly holes in the headstock, countoured neck heel and back, compound neck radius that supposedly gives a better feel for the different things you do at different ends of the neck - I'm not wholly convinced but I've heard it's nice, at least - and noiseless pickups. A slightly different spec sheet for the Deluxe but more or less the same idea.

I realise that's very long and if I had the time I could probably edit it down but I hope it helps give you a decent idea of what each level brings to the table.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 
Last edited by K33nbl4d3 at Mar 30, 2017,
if you want a raw natural tele traditional that is all mojo and no frills, i LOVE mt 52AVRI. i bought it used for $1100.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by dannyalcatraz
This website has a decent selection of used guitars at good prices, including Teles from Fender...and G&L, Leo Fender's last guitar company.. Some are USAs.
http://www.guitarsandeffects.com/electricguitars.html

I have bought three guitars from him. great company to buy from. got exactly what I wanted all three times.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Just throwing it out there but I love the feel and sound of my Highway 1 tele. It's MIA and has the medium jumbo frets, great neck and the pickups are a little on the hotter side.  It cured my GAS for a tele but ignited my need for another one.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Quote by bobafettacheese
Just throwing it out there but I love the feel and sound of my Highway 1 tele. It's MIA and has the medium jumbo frets, great neck and the pickups are a little on the hotter side.  It cured my GAS for a tele but ignited my need for another one.
Forgot about those Do they still make them?
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan
No. At least as not as far as I'm aware.  I think they eventually were replaced by the american special series.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
FYI, anyone who has a quote capture their whole post like trashed's was before I fixed it, here's what's going on:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1732550
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by dannyalcatraz
FYI, anyone who has a quote capture their whole post like trashed's was before I fixed it, here's what's going on:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1732550

========================================= ^^^QUOTE^^^ ======  vvvvREPLYvvvv =========

I just want to know how to get black on white text instead of the current white on black. It's miserable to read. 
Last edited by dspellman at Mar 30, 2017,
Quote by dspellman
I just want to know how to get black on white text instead of the current white on black. It's miserable to read. 
They recently put back the button to do that. It's at the bottom of the page - just click on "UG black style" and change it to "UG classic style" I haven't checked on mobile yet but I assume it is there too.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan
Quote by K33nbl4d3
They recently put back the button to do that. It's at the bottom of the page - just click on "UG black style" and change it to "UG classic style" I haven't checked on mobile yet but I assume it is there too.

YES YES YES YES YES!!!!
Thanks!
Quote by The 88
First post on UG, hope it's in the right forum...

So basically I play a Les Paul (Studio & Standard). I used to have an SG but sold that as I love my LP and it is my go to guitar for just about any style that I feel like playing.

I have never owned a Fender, but am sure that the Tele is for me (as opposed to the Strat). I just feel it in my heart more, the look, the history, the shape, the masterpieces created on Tele's (note some Floyd & Zeppelin), this is an instrument that I want to own. Period.

So with that out the way, my question is this;

Which model?!

I see a lot of guys loving the humbuckers on a Tele, but I'm an LP guy: it's those single coils that are part of the attraction!!

What would you experienced guitarists out there recommend for me (preferably those who own or have owned both LP & Tele)?

I cant try out different models because I am out working in Qatar and am having one brought back from the States. So it's basically a case of "let him know which one and he'll buy it and bring it back over" kind of thing.

Advice eagerly awaited.

Oh and a final note: forget customs etc. I am not out to spend 5000 Dollars, that's what my LP's are for   looking at American Standard, Deluxe etc etc (as I said I have no idea about Fenders, which is a sin in itself...)

Thanks in advance guys, looking forward to your input.

Cheers,

https://www.andersonguitarworks.com/the-t/
Andersons are killer! My church's music minister uses one through a TA-15.

Check out the Jim Adkins signature Telecaster.  Semi-Hollow, Les Paul scale length, P-90 pickups, two volume - two tone controls, three way toggle.  

Might be too similar to what you are used to... or perhaps, a perfect segway into tele-land. 

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TeleJA90CRT
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Andersons are killer!  My church's music minister uses one through a TA-15.

I keep forgetting about them. They make them up in Newbury Park, near Magic Mountain, I think. 
Quote by dspellman
I keep forgetting about them. 

Me too!

The 88..

I have played just about everything that has strings on it....Had a tele years ago..found it "clunky" and uncomfortable to play..for the last 10+ yrs have played an LP..Classic antique..I love it and it can do just about everything..but does not have the tele twang/chimey top end ... I played an American Deluxe several years ago..it was a big improvement over the standard body shape of a tele..but there was something holding me back from pulling the trigger on getting one..now..the American Elite..ahhh the missing link...it has the neck heel rounded off..so getting to the upper frets is open...so with the contoured back and the compound radius neck and fourth gen noiseless pickups and a "S" switch-which is a mid position boost..it is a total package wrapped in an iconic guitar...yeah a bit pricy $1900 USD.( you may find some used for less ).but I will pay it..there are some demos of it online..do some searching get some reviews,,

hope this helps
play well

wolf
I'd look at getting a second hand American Standard tele as you can get them pretty cheap now that the Pro series has been released.
If you want more versatility from a tele then the Baja tele has a 4 way selector mod as standard - although the neck is V shaped I believe and a lot more chunky than the modern Deluxes etc.

The thinlines are nice as well if you want something abit different. There are loads of good reasonably priced teles in the market atm. Happy Hunting
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
Well i have an LP and an Am Std Tele.Am Std is fine for me.Used to have an mim which would be fine with a pickup swap.Mim Tele pickups sound shitty imo.
These two option however have the modern six saddle bridge.Some people only like a Tele with the old three brass saddles as they say it sustains better for the twangy country stuff.Depends if you're picky about stuff like that.If not then there's nothing wrong with an Am Std.It has a belly cut too for comfort.
The new American Proffessionals look nice.Some new colours and upgrades.
Quote by Shredx
If you want more versatility from a tele then the Baja tele has a 4 way selector mod as standard - although the neck is V shaped I believe and a lot more chunky than the modern Deluxes etc.
For what it's worth, the Baja '60s has the same feature but with a more conventional neck for those who don't want the soft V

Quote by EyeballPaul
These two option however have the modern six saddle bridge.Some people only like a Tele with the old three brass saddles as they say it sustains better for the twangy country stuff.
I just think the Strat saddles look ugly on there If I must have 6 saddles I much prefer this:

But hell, my main Tele has this loathsome thing on it and I get by
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan
The 88 

EDIT: Didn't read all through, my bad (I asked about your budget, funnily enough).

Anyway, I own a Special and it's magnificent, however the Deluxes are no doubt some of the best electrics I've ever played, so if you're up for spending the little extra, go for a Deluxe.

Cheers
Dunlop CBM95 Mini Crybaby -> (EHX Silencer) -> Ibanez TS9DX -> Seymour Duncan Palladium -> (EHX Silencer) -> Caline 10 Band EQ -> MXR Phase 90 -> Boss TR-2 Tremolo -> Visual Sound H2O
Last edited by selkayann at Mar 31, 2017,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Me too!

I contacted Tom Anderson by email yesterday. His reply:

"that's our style T classic, but sadly our LA dealer seldom keeps those in stock. 
i  also looked through the 50 or so guitars that are done and ready to  ship, which is more than we normally would have here, and not one is a t  classic.
i have a couple that are about ready  to go together but both have trem bridges, and one is short scale. i see  a few at dealers but not with the contours.
so  i'm coming up pretty empty for things close enough for you. we really  build to order so there are seldom guitars here that would be available.
tom"

I'm probably just going to have to go up there, find out what's available in terms of options, and order up. It's a bit down the list, however -- I think next up is a headless Kiesel multiscale ERG (a 7, likely) and then a custom AL-3200 from Agile and THEN maybe the t-style. 
dspellman
I really, really like my Agile.

And putting a tremolo on a tele is blasphemy.
Last edited by 33db at Mar 31, 2017,
dspellman

I don't have a strong conscious opinion pro or con Teles, but:

I only have one guitar that is SSS; a couple of HSS, and nearly every other singlecoil guitar I own has P90s
I only have 2 Teleclones outnof 30 axes
Of the two Teleclones, one is a HB/HB-sized P90, the other has a T pickup in the neck, but a Charlie Christian in the bridge.

...which is all just a long way of saying the archetypal Telecaster isn't for me, I guess.

So if/when I add another Tele style guitar to my collection, odds are good it won't be a "classic" either.

Quote by 33db
This is a terrible and wrong opinion
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan
K33nbl4d3

While we're blaspheming, mine:

Not yet mine:

The last one is a sig model for Pete Anderson.- not exactly a Tele heretic.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pete_Anderson

dannyalcatraz
Truth is Teles and Bigsbys go together like the Welsh language and the letter W

The second one is the correct solution to the bad Strat bridge pickup problem
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan
Quote by 33db
dspellman
I really, really like my Agile.

I promise not to put a tremolo on a tele. I'll even vocally resist should Tom Anderson foist one on me. Perhaps for five minutes or more. 

Agiles are likable, ain't they?
I would look at the G&L ASAT Classic , they have many neck options available and come in at 1100.00 to 1500.00 range

G&L stands for George Fullerton and Leo Fender
Quote by Fumble fingers
I thought it was Grapefruit & Lemons, after Fender's famous affection for citrus fruit.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan
Quote by Fumble fingers
I would look at the G&L ASAT Classic , they have many neck options available and come in at 1100.00 to 1500.00 range

And for the budget conscious, the lower-priced Tribute line is a great option as well.

Can't speak for the Tele but I can speak for the Strat and Fender build quality. Don't shy away from MIM Fenders over US ones. The factories are very close to one another, use the same materials, and sometimes even exchange workers. If you want to save $500 for a guitar that is 95% as good, MIM is great.
Cort KX1Q w/ Seymour Duncan Jazz/JB
Fender Standard Stratocaster Plus Top - Aged Cherry Burst with Maple Fingerboard
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Florentine PRO Hollowbody - Faded Cherry Sunburst w/ Seymour Duncan SH-55's

Mesa Boogie Mark V 35 Head
Orange PPC112 - 60W 1x12" V30 Cabinet
Two Notes Torpedo Live
Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 Plus Universal Power Supply

Boss TU3 Chromatic Tuner -> Whirlwind Red Box Compressor -> Hardwire CM-2 Tube Overdrive -> MXR Custom Badass '78 Distortion -> Vick Audio '73 Ram's Head -> loop -> Whirlwind Orange Box Phaser -> Mooer Eleclady Flanger -> Strymon Flint Tremolo and Reverb -> MXR Carbon Copy Delay -> MXR 10-Band EQ
Page 1 of 2