Guitar Center's description of EVH 5150 112ST 1x12 Guitar Speaker Cabinet reads:

"The EVH 5150 III 1x12 guitar cab is the perfect companion for the EVH  5150 III 50W head, delivering pure EVH sound and power in a compact  package. The 5150 III 1x12 cab is rated at 16 ohms and is loaded with a  30W Celestion G12H Anniversary speaker. It is an even more compact  version than its 2x12 and 4x12 big brothers. "

Wouldn't the 50 watt head be too much power for the 30 watt cabinet to handle?  
that doesn't sound right at all. That cab would only be adequate for the lbx.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Gosss Yep, someone at GC is being a goober. MF lists the same.

EDIT: I sent an email to GC, MF isn't letting me. Sweetwater lists a different description but still claims it is made for the 50w head. Are we missing something? I did not see any power scaling on the head.
Last edited by Will Lane at Mar 30, 2017,
GC sent me this:

"Thank you for your recent inquiry, we really appreciate you bringing our attention to this. It is most likely an issue with the description, since the product is made by EVH. I will submit some feedback on this issue to get it resolved right away. If you are in the market for an amp, don't forget pro coverage our full damage plan to protect your investment. and if you need any additional gear, now is the time to take advantage of our great sales! Thanks, and have a great day!"

I seem to remember this being pointed out at the time it was released, and EVH (the company) said they'd tested it and it was fine with the 50 watt head.

Would I chance it? Probably not.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Will Lane
GC sent me this:

"Thank you for your recent inquiry, we really appreciate you bringing our attention to this. It is most likely an issue with the description, since the product is made by EVH. I will submit some feedback on this issue to get it resolved right away. If you are in the market for an amp, don't forget pro coverage our full damage plan to protect your investment. and if you need any additional gear, now is the time to take advantage of our great sales! Thanks, and have a great day!"

That is classic, "don't forget to pay extra for the insurance when we sell you something that wont work after we told you it would".  Gotta love GC. 
It's funny that you ask this because I had something similar happen to me yesterday.  I emailed Warehouse Guitar Speakers, asking which pair of speakers they would recommend for a 212 to match my Rockerverb 50.  They emailed me back, saying that the Reaper 30 and Retro 30 would be best.  Now, the Retro 30 is 75 watts, so that's fine.  But the Reaper is only 30 watts.  Which, when paired, would make the total power handling of the 212 only 60 watts.  That seems a little low to run a 50 watt tube amp into, so I emailed them back to make sure.  The guy responded by saying that when he had a Rockerverb 50, he would run into a 112 with a Reaper 30 in it.  So a 50 watt head into a 30 watt speaker.  Now I'm not sure I trust the guy's recommendations anymore, because it kinda sounds like he doesn't know what he's talking about...
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
Blame EVH. That description is copy/pasted directly from their official product page.

http://www.evhgear.com/gear/amps/5150iii-112-st-cabinet-black/

The amp they say it's a "perfect companion" for has adjustable impedance (4, 8, or 16 ohms), so maybe that makes it work? I always get confused by ohms. Don't remember if running the 50w amp at 8 ohms into a 16 ohm cab would drop the power of the amp so it doesn't blow the speaker. Even if it does work that way though (and I'm not at all sure that it does), that would still mean you're not getting full power out of the head, which seems like a waste.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6
Last edited by the_bi99man at Mar 31, 2017,
tube amps don't change power really.
It doesn't seem like it would work. 
I mean here's the thing will they warranty it?
If they will warranty it...buy a new one crank that amp and leave it overnight. 
see if it blows.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Sweetwater got back to me as well,

"I'm going to talk to our merchandising team here to get this fixed. Thanks for the heads up!"

The rep is a sound technician so I presume he understand the issue with these equipment ratings.

A while back, I also remember seeing something about audiophiles suggesting that power amps and speakers be paired together in the same way- power amp putting out more wattage than the speaker can handle. Something about peaks, RMS, I don't know. It makes no sense to the bit I do understand about audio system power handling.
Quote by the_bi99man
The amp they say it's a "perfect companion" for has adjustable impedance (4, 8, or 16 ohms), so maybe that makes it work? I always get confused by ohms. Don't remember if running the 50w amp at 8 ohms into a 16 ohm cab would drop the power of the amp so it doesn't blow the speaker. Even if it does work that way though (and I'm not at all sure that it does), that would still mean you're not getting full power out of the head, which seems like a waste.
For Solid State equipment, dropping power by upping speaker ohms relative to the minimum requirements of the power amp will work. For example, if the power amp puts out 50w at 8 ohms, a speaker rated at 16 ohms will see 25w.

But tube equipment typically does not like mismatches at all. If the power amp calls for 16 ohms, you use a speaker rated at 16 ohms. If it calls for 8 ohms, you give it 8 ohm load. Changing the output taps (switching from a 8 ohm to a 16 ohm tap, for example), does not change the output wattage, either.
Last edited by Will Lane at Mar 31, 2017,