Page 1 of 2
I'm interested in buying a tube combo amp. I just sold my Peavey XXX tube combo, and I regret it ..

I'm looking to spend up to $400 dollars. I would likely get it used because the prices are better. 

I'd want it to have a decent clean channel for using with effects, and a distortion channel that can do 90's punk rock stuff and maybe some down tuned metal.

Is there any amps that can do this style of music in this price range?

I was thinking something like a Bugera 333 combo? New they are like $400, i'm thinking one can pop up eventually used for a little less.

Any suggestions?

i'm not really interested in a 6505 combo, i've heard they're not very good.
what about a used XXX combo?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by jedigovnaUG
gregs1020

Lol

kinda doubt he was kidding. if you liked your previous amp and regret selling it then another one seems like a given.  skip the Bugera unless you get  a great deal on one used. 
$400  used is a good budget. Go to GC and browse. They have got a lot there.  
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
The Peavey Classic 30 is a great suggestion. If you have a pedal for your heavier dirt, that would be fine.

There are a lot of good tube amps around $400 depending on your area. Check Craigslist.

If you're looking for great cleans, and down tuned distortion from an amp, it may be harder. But every now and then you can catch a deal if you look enough.
Maybe a Marshall DSL15C?  I've only fiddled with one for a short time in a shop, but it seemed like it had pretty good cleans and a lot of gain on tap.

EDIT:  And Revolution Amps is what Krank turned into after they closed down, iirc.  So if you like Krank, it might be worth a look.
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
Last edited by barden1069 at Mar 30, 2017,
barden1069 That revolution amp looked great but unfortunately it sold and the seller didn't take the ad down. It looked like a great amp. 20 watts, all tube, apparently the distortion is similar to 6505. I would've bought it in an instant. Oh well.

I'll keep looking to see what pops up.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
jedigovnaUG Bugera used is like buying a ticking time bomb. Most likely someone is gettind rid of it as it is already broken and you'll soon find out why
Look at the 6505mh as you liked your 6505. Might have to go a little higher on the price. Also check out Orange Tiny Terror combo - one channel, one tone control on that amp but it does great.
how much is the ironheart combo? the little one should be pretty good. other then that used 6505?
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Don't buy the Bugera.

I used to own one and after a while, it suffered bad tubes and a bad transformer. Sold it to someone else later for exactly what I paid for it. He did absolutely zero research into what Bugeras were. He just saw my amp, went "holy shit a tube stack for how much??" He didn't even want to plug it in and have a listen. He just bought it sight unseen, I moved the amp downstairs, we shook hands, he gave me the money and ran. He was convinced I was being robbed.

I'd normally feel bad about selling someone what was essentially a broken amp, but that buyer was really, really stupid. Guy didn't call me back to say the amp sounded like shit. And I really didn't care. Not my problem anymore lol.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
T00DEEPBLUE

Bugera sells refurbished amps from their official eBay for half off the price plus 3 years warranty . I wouldn't just buy it off a random stranger ...

But anyway what you did was messed up lol . As a seller you should tell people if it has problems up front . But since he never called you back or tested it . Maybe it turned out fine . I've played the idiot like that too . I bought an epiphone black beauty for $200, and I knew the guy fucked up it's electronics but I took it home and fixed it easily . Same with another ibanez I bought locally . Came with tons of fret buzz , the guy thought he was ripping me off I'm sure , one quick turn of the truss rod and it was playing perfectly . I sold the guitar and the case it came with for profit since that was originally my idea anyway .
Quote by jedigovnaUG
T00DEEPBLUE

Bugera sells refurbished amps from their official eBay for half off the price plus 3 years warranty . I wouldn't just buy it off a random stranger ...

Or better yet, don't buy a Bugera in the first place?

It isn't just the transformers and tubes that can go bad right out of the box. There are lots of anecdotes of strange, random problems that occur with these amps and some of them have completely different symptoms and root causes from one another. Rather than a fault of a particular part of the manufacturing process, it's the sign of a product that has just been built to a poor standard of quality in general.

Bugera can say these amps are 'refurbished', but from the kind of problems people have had with their products, it's evidently still a lottery if the one you'll buy won't have some other problems or if the problem the amp originally had doesn't reappear.
As a seller you should tell people if it has problems up front .

Preach that to Bugera when I bought their product from them brand new.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
I suggest Peavey Classic as well, perfect all-around tube amp for a low price compared to fenders etc. 
I have a Classic 50 with 4x10", but would recommend with 12" speakers. The 50 is really heavy though, but gives good sound even on low volumes (I live in a flat and play mostly at night ). I rarely use the overdrive channel, it's not bad but the clean channel is really good, use it with effects.
Music is the way.
Quote by monwobobbo
kinda doubt he was kidding. if you liked your previous amp and regret selling it then another one seems like a given.  skip the Bugera unless you get  a great deal on one used. 

Basically.  The Revolution was a weird amp.  It was almost like two amps in one.  The gain was definitely not like a 5150/6505.  It really didn't last long, manufacturing wise. 

What XXX combo did you have, the 212, 112 - 60 watt?  I've got a XXX Super 40 (112 - 40 watt) and LOVE it.  I bought it for kicks to have something small so I didn't have to use my 6505+ head and 212 cab all the time.  It's since become my main amp matched with a V30 112 EXT Cab.  I paid like $250 for it used at GC in excellent condition.
Quote by jedigovnaUG

hey i regretted selling amps before, and bought back the same kind.

if you need something different then yeah, look at something else. it just sounded like the best amp for you at that price, kinda thing. the xxx combo is a good amp. if you can find a Traynor YCV50BLUE for $400, check it out. it doesn't get as metal-ly as the xxx.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Mar 31, 2017,
Xander_X  I had the Super 40. I thought it was pretty good. Sometimes it sounded a little grainy, but still a good amp either way. You connect yours to an external cab? how does that compare to the stock speaker in the Peavey?  I would put a pillow over the speaker or put the amp in the closet lol. because I live in an apartment, that way I could crank it up louder and tame some of the grain

There's a Peavey XXX half stack for $400(obo) locally , but it's more power than i'll ever need
Last edited by jedigovnaUG at Mar 31, 2017,
Its more power than almost anyone would need. 40 watts is plenty loud for the loudest of metal bands in the largest of bars. I'd honestly get rid of my 6505+ if I didn't love it so damned much. Wish they'd have made a USA made 112 combo of it.

As you know the Super 40 has a lot of low end with the stock speaker. The v30 in an extension cab compliments it nicely with its mids and highs. It doesn't eliminate the factory speaker, just adds to it.

The Sheffield XXX has always been one of my favorite speakers. I don't use it anymore because I don't use 412 cabs anymore, but my XXX 412 with my 6505+ is beautiful to my ears
Last edited by Xander_X at Mar 31, 2017,
Can you find a used Laney IRT-30 112 Combo?  That may be just what you're looking for.  
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
but that buyer was really, really stupid.

Yeah it's OK to rob stupid people, look at the US financial markets.

OP Check out reverb.com they have a lot of used gear you might get lucky.
Quote by 33db
Yeah it's OK to rob stupid people, look at the US financial markets.

It's hyperbole like this that give your views zero credibility.

If the guy didn't like the amp, he could've called me and I would've been happy to arrange a refund. But he never did. He was happy with his end of the deal.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Or better yet, don't buy a Bugera in the first place?

I've had my TriRec Infinium  for quite some time, Had one switch go south after about 4 years, easy fix,  I've seen others with the Marshalls and Peaveys have far more problems, Their all built in China after all,   Bugera just gets a bad rap from their early pre Infinum models, Their new stuff is just as reliable as any of the other China queens,   My main amp is a Kustom.  Same guy that designed the 5150,6505, XXX and JSX designed the Kustom DC,   But its a Kustom so it must suck, Right? 
Quote by 33db
T00DEEPBLUE
Or maybe you shouldn't confess to "robbing" someone then get defensive about it.

sigh. 
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
FWIW Bugera/Behringer pretty much just rip off designs from other amp and equipment manufacturers which is lame IMO they have been sued by Peavey, Mackie, Roland etc.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Used Blackstar HT5 or maybe open box would be available in that price range. 
Cort KX1Q w/ Seymour Duncan Jazz/JB
Fender Standard Stratocaster Plus Top - Aged Cherry Burst with Maple Fingerboard
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Florentine PRO Hollowbody - Faded Cherry Sunburst w/ Seymour Duncan SH-55's

Mesa Boogie Mark V 35 Head
Orange PPC112 - 60W 1x12" V30 Cabinet
Two Notes Torpedo Live
Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 Plus Universal Power Supply

Boss TU3 Chromatic Tuner -> Whirlwind Red Box Compressor -> Hardwire CM-2 Tube Overdrive -> MXR Custom Badass '78 Distortion -> Vick Audio '73 Ram's Head -> loop -> Whirlwind Orange Box Phaser -> Mooer Eleclady Flanger -> Strymon Flint Tremolo and Reverb -> MXR Carbon Copy Delay -> MXR 10-Band EQ
Quote by gregs1020
if you can find a Traynor YCV50BLUE for $400, check it out.  it doesn't get as metal-ly as the xxx.

Yep, exactly the amp I suggested.  Best amp I've heard sub $1000.  I'm super anal about tone and this amp delivers assuming you like the crunchy Marshall JCM style, EL34, mid-heavy, saturated tone.  It's pretty amazing the tone they got out of such an inexpensive amp. You can get megadeth heavy without any pedals,  beyond that you might need a boost. 
+1 on the Peavey Classic.

Another suggestion, the Peavey Valveking is a surprisingly good amp that can be had for peanuts. I keep a 100W 2x12 combo as my backup amp. Got it for $300. That's a lot of wattage and gain for three bills, and it does a pretty darn good impersonation of my 5150.

Use the extra $100 to swap one speaker for a V30 though.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by dannyalcatraz

Good suggestion. I have an X100B head in my closet that I need to bring out of retirement. Super good for 70s and 80s sounds. Haven't found use for much else out of it, though. Great cleans if that matters to the TS.
Fixed your post- apparently there's a bug that will put a whole post in quotes. The trick is to put in a "return" after any quote that ends with a link
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
JustRooster

I'm not sure a peavey classic will work for metal though ?

There's lots of valvekings at guitar center and on Craigslist . Found a 2X12 100 watt combo for $200 . But it just seems like to much power for me at this point
jedigovnaUG

Better to have and not need than need and not have! Get an attenuator, wattage concerns tend to go away after that. I played 100w amps in my apartments pretty often.

5 watts is louder than hell. 50 watts is marginally louder than hell. No tube amp you'll buy will let you get great breakup at community level volumes. It's better to buy an amp for its gigging capability if it won't be relegated to strictly practice duties.

Check out the THD Hot Plate!
Last edited by JustRooster at Apr 1, 2017,
+1 I've owned a 1-watt, 5-watt, and 20-watt. All low-wattage tube amps will be too loud for bedroom / apartment use. Might as well be 100-watters at that point. Get what works for you. That said, lower wattage usually means lower price.
Cort KX1Q w/ Seymour Duncan Jazz/JB
Fender Standard Stratocaster Plus Top - Aged Cherry Burst with Maple Fingerboard
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Florentine PRO Hollowbody - Faded Cherry Sunburst w/ Seymour Duncan SH-55's

Mesa Boogie Mark V 35 Head
Orange PPC112 - 60W 1x12" V30 Cabinet
Two Notes Torpedo Live
Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 Plus Universal Power Supply

Boss TU3 Chromatic Tuner -> Whirlwind Red Box Compressor -> Hardwire CM-2 Tube Overdrive -> MXR Custom Badass '78 Distortion -> Vick Audio '73 Ram's Head -> loop -> Whirlwind Orange Box Phaser -> Mooer Eleclady Flanger -> Strymon Flint Tremolo and Reverb -> MXR Carbon Copy Delay -> MXR 10-Band EQ
Page 1 of 2