Hello community,

I had bought an Audio Interface (Focusrite Scarlett 2i4) so I could play guitar directly to my computer, but I fucked up somewhere and I ran out of patience so I decided I would just go back with amps. To be honest, I feel like I might not even have bought the good thing for the purpose I wanted do with it. I have some questions at the end, but the main one is what amplifiers I should take a closer look at?

Budget: $500 CAD (±$400 USD)
Genres: Hardrock, classic rock, but mostly metal (high gain)
New/Used: One or the other
Home/Gig: Home
Closest City: Ottawa

1. I used to have a Line 6 Spider (IV?). It was fun, but at the same time, I kind of understand why a lot of people don't like it... doesn't sound that great, although it has a lot of features.

2. I'm living in a place where I can't really crank up the sound. Thus, I'd like an amp on which I can use my headphones, like I could do on the Spider IV. Is it NOT recommended to use headphones on amps?

Thanks a lot,
Quote by Snowblood8
I had bought an Audio Interface (Focusrite Scarlett 2i4) so I could play guitar directly to my computer, but I fucked up somewhere and I ran out of patience so I decided I would just go back with amps. To be honest, I feel like I might not even have bought the good thing for the purpose I wanted do with it. I have some questions at the end, but the main one is what amplifiers I should take a closer look at?
Why don't we help you get your computer rig working instead?
There's plenty of good modellers and solid state amps out there that have headphone out.  Peavey Vypyr/VIP, Yamaha THR10, Fender Mustang, Orange Crush... I'm sure there's some I'm forgetting.  The Orange Micro Terror/Micro Dark are hybrids with headphone outs, and the Blackstar HT5 has a headphone out, too.  For metal, I'd probably recommend the Peavey, the Orange Micro Dark, or the Blackstar.  But if you have an interface you should be able to get that running with your guitar as well.  Just get the ASIO driver, Reaper, and LePou amp sims and LeCab impulse loader and you'll be set.  And all that stuff is free, last I checked.

EDIT:  Also, unless an amp has a speaker emulated headphone out, I wouldn't plug headphones directly into it.  At best, you'll plug into a line out and get a crappy, buzzy signal.  At worst, you'll plug into the speaker out and damage your headphones, amp, or both.  If you have an impulse loader in a DAW, you could run the raw preamp signal through your interface and then simulate the cab/speakers on your computer, but I don't know if you'd really want to bother with that.
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
Last edited by barden1069 at Mar 30, 2017,
Quote by Will Lane
Why don't we help you get your computer rig working instead?

I spent so many hours trying to get it right through various daws and amp sims (Guitar Rig and Bias). Bias gave me the best sound... and the least amount of problems to be honest... but it wasn't enough. I'd say I'm not bad with computers and I've witnessed random problems like whenever I went in Control Panel, then Sounds... When I would be in the Playback tab, I'd hear crackling, and once I clicked/get onto the Recording tab, crackling would stop. Had to put it in another USB port too once. Those were probably computer problems and not the Scarlett 2i4. I think I might just be better off with how I had it before: amplifier with headphone.
Quote by barden1069
There's plenty of good modellers and solid state amps out there that have headphone out.  Peavey Vypyr/VIP, Yamaha THR10, Fender Mustang, Orange Crush... I'm sure there's some I'm forgetting.  The Orange Micro Terror/Micro Dark are hybrids with headphone outs, and the Blackstar HT5 has a headphone out, too.  For metal, I'd probably recommend the Peavey, the Orange Micro Dark, or the Blackstar.  But if you have an interface you should be able to get that running with your guitar as well.  Just get the ASIO driver, Reaper, and LePou amp sims and LeCab impulse loader and you'll be set.  And all that stuff is free, last I checked.

EDIT:  Also, unless an amp has a speaker emulated headphone out, I wouldn't plug headphones directly into it.  At best, you'll plug into a line out and get a crappy, buzzy signal.  At worst, you'll plug into the speaker out and damage your headphones, amp, or both.  If you have an impulse loader in a DAW, you could run the raw preamp signal through your interface and then simulate the cab/speakers on your computer, but I don't know if you'd really want to bother with that.

Thanks Barden1069,

I had the Peavey Vypyr/VIP and the Blackstar ones in mind. Do you happen to know what would happen if I plugged headphones into a head amp only, that has a emulated headphone out like the Blackstar HT-5H?
Snowblood8 The amp would usually have to have a built in loadbox, which is basically just like a speaker except it doesn't make noise.  It does accept all the power that they amp is putting out and stops it from frying itself (tube amps will get damaged if run without a speaker/load).  However, I'm having a hard time finding a definitive answer about the HT-5.  From what I've seen, you're supposed to be able to run the amp in standby to mute the speaker but still hear it through the emulated out.  Now typically, in theory, you have a tube amp on standby without a load connected.  But I would HIGHLY DISCOURAGE this.  All it takes is flipping the amp out of standby without a load connected and you could potentially damage your amp.  And I always say better safe than sorry.  So maybe get the head and the cab so you can leave them connected in case something weird happens (or you want to play not through headphones) but you can still run the headphones silently if you so choose.

Maybe there's someone else here who's more familiar with the HT-5 than I am and can chime in, though.  
Gear
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

barden1069 Actually, I've been reading about it on Reddit, Blackstar forums and UG and it's pretty much what you said. There is a potential risk and it must have a load. Thank you for your advice.
Snowblood8 No problem. Glad I could help.
Gear
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!