I've been getting into Fenders lately, but oddly enough I've noticed that one of my favorites, the Telecaster, is routinely cited or termed as being very 'twangy' and even gone so far as to be almost specifically a 'country' guitar. 

I know that this was sort of one of the original intentions of the guitar, but am I the only one who doesn't think that? I definitely think there's some twang to it, but only slightly, unless of course that is, you play specifically country yourself. Otherwise, I don't think it's that notable. Am I the only one who thinks this?

Is there a certain aspect about the sound that I am just not noticing? to me, the Statocasters are too shrill sounding almost, and don't have enough buoyancy, or perhaps "grit" and kind of an earthiness. I cannot quite explain it. 
Is the problem perhaps that they have "too much soul" and do not fit the whole overall theme of alienation? ahahahhaha, more reason to get one I suppose. 

"Hello me, the real me" SWEATING BULLETS. WHO SAYS, PEACE SELLS!!??? CUZ I'M BUYIN' 

IIIII'mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm buyin'

Honestly, I think the Les Paul Gibsons are more twangy to me, but I guess it's a weird personal thing.

https://68.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m6i327cr5B1rwqpv7o1_500.gif
Last edited by tear2slitwrists at Mar 31, 2017,
I own a bunch of different guitars and I like the Tele because it doesn't sound like my other guitars. It is unique in it's tone. Frankly I don't play much on the bridge pickup of the Tele  because I really like the tone of the neck pickup alone. Remember the first Led Zep album was Jimmy Page on a Tele into a small Supro amp. That ain't "twang" or country.

Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Mar 31, 2017,
I think the Tele is associated with "twang" because of the classic Fenders it's the only one which is really known for its bridge pickup. So when people think of a bridge singlecoil, which is generally more twangy than most other varieties and positions of pickup, they think of a Telecaster. In practice, it's certainly a beefier sounding pickup than the Strat bridge, but the bridge or the middle pickup alone aren't generally the tones people first think of when they think "Strat".

Quote by tear2slitwrists
Is the problem perhaps that they have "too much soul" and do not fit the whole overall theme of alienation? ahahahhaha, more reason to get one I suppose. 

"Hello me, the real me" SWEATING BULLETS. WHO SAYS, PEACE SELLS!!??? CUZ I'M BUYIN' 

IIIII'mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm buyin'

Honestly, I think the Les Paul Gibsons are more twangy to me, but I guess it's a weird personal thing.

https://68.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m6i327cr5B1rwqpv7o1_500.gif
What does any of this mean?
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
My tele is my favorite drop D guitar.  It just sounds amazing in drop D for some reason, compared to my others.  No twang for me when I do that, just chugs!
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I think the Tele is associated with "twang" because of the classic Fenders it's the only one which is really known for its bridge pickup. So when people think of a bridge singlecoil, which is generally more twangy than most other varieties and positions of pickup, they think of a Telecaster. In practice, it's certainly a beefier sounding pickup than the Strat bridge, but the bridge or the middle pickup alone aren't generally the tones people first think of when they think "Strat".

What does any of this mean?

But if you compare it to most other non-fender guitars, it still sounds largely like a fender in comparison then not at all, lol...
Quote by tear2slitwrists
But if you compare it to most other non-fender guitars, it still sounds largely like a fender in comparison then not at all, lol...
Well yeah, singlecoils are what Fenders sound like, generally speaking.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Quote by Dreadnought
How does this twang sound?

Well no, I don't think it's actually that twangy. I sort of like it, though it does sort of sound a bit like Nashville, country guitars yes. I saw this interview with Bruno Mars recently and he said that Fenders are sort of like "The sound of America" and that's just what I hear and that's what I like about it. I grew up in the country and I guess it's hard to escape my roots. It just sounds earnest to me, and I think of great blue skies in the country, especially when the sun is setting and that's why I love them  : (

I don't know if that makes me kind of a hick or not though, I am not really a fan of country music, though I like Johnny Cash, and maybe the odd old country song (from before it was revitalized and became "pop-country" it's not my favorite though.) 

So are Gibsons though a bit as well. When I hear a Gibson Junior, that's what I hear especially. I love those guitars but they are not versatile with me. Talk about Danelectro guitars though, that's a guitar that's twangy. Blech. 
Last edited by tear2slitwrists at Mar 31, 2017,
^ my point is that it isn't twangy. The telecaster, like most if not all guitars, is very versatile.
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by Dreadnought
^ my point is that it isin't twangy. The telecaster, like most if not all guitars, is very versatile.
Yup. Either of mine will do just about anything if you give them the chance. Same is true of (nearly?) everything else I've played.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
Teles are definitely twangy. If you don't agree, name a twangier guitar. But twang isn't synonymous with country nor is it a bad thing. I'm pretty sure country guitarists didn't start using them immediately. It took awhile for them to become big in the genre. Twang doesn't mean Teles aren't versatile just like a LP's fatness doesn't make them limited. Teles should have the percussive punch with the brightness and clarity without sounding thin. That doesn't mean they can't be used for other things. They work great for almost everything and you'll find them used in almost every genre.
It's definitely twangy but that doesn't necessarily mean it's only useful for country, either.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?