Hi everyone,

So, question about my pinkie collapsing: If I'm, for example, playing an E major scale and want to hit pinkie notes close to the fret, i have to flatten out/collapse my pinkie to reach close to the fret. However, this strikes me as bad technique. I can play with my pinkie curled but then it's not right below the fret. 

Would it be better to play without collapsing and just above the fret or stretch out (and collapse) to just below the fret?

Thanks

Edit: Learning on a classical guitar by the way
Last edited by adahm123 at Mar 31, 2017,
adahm123 what you're describing sounds like pretty poor form, but it might be caused by something else about your playing, can you get pictures (or better yet a video) of your playing?  It will be much easier to see what you're doing wrong if we can see how you play from a variety of angles.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Zaphod_Beeblebr 

So, the first video is the stretched out collapsing pinkie and the second is not.

[url="(Invalid video video code);feature=youtu.be];feature=youtu.be

[url="(Invalid video video code);feature=youtu.be];feature=youtu.be

Looking back on these two videos, clearly the first one looks totally fucked (especially when going back down the scale), but the second one is not close to the fret; is this a big deal?

Thanks in advance for your help
I don't really understand your question, but from what I understand, you fear that your pinky is too short to reach for the fret and has to lie down in order to reach the fret, right?

Such things are terribly difficult to explain without pictures, so if you could take a picture of your left hand posture, that would greatly help. If not, then try the following. You have your thumb on the back of the guitar. This thumb shouldn't really stay in the same place all the time. If you have notes to fret on the thicker strings, your whole hand has to move 'up', so to speak. This way, your fretting hand never gets warped into awkward positions, like the one you are describing.

I don't know if this helps; you might still have to post a picture if you hand posture for clarification if it doesn't.
I do not want to have a signature anymore.
RDSElite 

Yeah that's basically the issue. I posted a couple videos too if you want to take a look at them. 

What you're makes sense though. I'll have a go playing it and moving my whole hand.
Not 100% sure if this is what you're describing, but the most common 4th finger issue is: not using it like the other fingers. Our fretting hand fingers curls when we fret strings but it's common for people with a still-to-be-developed 4th finger to allow their 4th finger to straighten out. To fix this you ned to - very very slowly (to give you the chance to make the correction - curl your 4th finger when you fret notes. This also may mean pivoting your fretting hand so that you can actually reach the required string with your (shorter than the other fingers) 4th finger.