I like the sound of a Uni-Vibe, and the sound of a normal pgaser, but I don't know which one to get. I've heard that the Phase 90 can get the fast Uni-Vibe effect type stuff, but not the slower stuff. I have heard some people say that if you turn the depth down a bit, then a Uni-Vibe can get a moderately convincing phaser sound. Can a Uni-Vibe do a good phase sound, or would a Phase 90 be more worth it?
Just a teenage girl who loves playing guitar way too much, if that's even possible.

I live for my girlfriend. <3
uni-vibes were a primitive phaser / chorus effect. i would have to say no that an actual uni-vibe can't really do the sounds that most would associate with phasers these days. some of the pedals that mimic the uni-vibe sound these days might be able to.  if you want a phase that can kinda do the uni-vibe thing and aren't super fussy about it then i'd get the MXR Phase 95. that does the 90 thing and has a botton that swithces it over to a phase 45 type sound which is closer to a uni-vibe sound. won't nail it but close. the one thing about an actual uni-vibe that many of the new pedals that mimic it don't have is a variable speed pedal. i can get some uni-vibe stye sounds from my EH Small Stone Phaser or my DOD FX-65 stereo chours pedal but neither will fool anyone seeing a true sound. 
Quote by monwobobbo
uni-vibes were a primitive phaser / chorus effect. i would have to say no that an actual uni-vibe can't really do the sounds that most would associate with phasers these days. some of the pedals that mimic the uni-vibe sound these days might be able to.  if you want a phase that can kinda do the uni-vibe thing and aren't super fussy about it then i'd get the MXR Phase 95. that does the 90 thing and has a botton that swithces it over to a phase 45 type sound which is closer to a uni-vibe sound. won't nail it but close. the one thing about an actual uni-vibe that many of the new pedals that mimic it don't have is a variable speed pedal. i can get some uni-vibe stye sounds from my EH Small Stone Phaser or my DOD FX-65 stereo chours pedal but neither will fool anyone seeing a true sound. 

Dang. Why haven't I heard of that thing before. I had heard of it as a Phase 90 with a 45 button, but the script button would be great (which it has). I think I might get that. Thanks!
Just a teenage girl who loves playing guitar way too much, if that's even possible.

Quote by monwobobbo
gogiregion  you're welcome. the Phase 95 just came out a few moths ago. 

That explains it. Beforehand I was going to buy an EVH phaser, just for a script Phase 90 with a power jack, but thought that the modern option was cool too. Now I know exactly what phaser to get, since a 45 option would add countless extra uses to it.

it's on my list of pedals to check out. i have a couple of phasers already but i love phasers   
Quote by monwobobbo
it's on my list of pedals to check out. i have a couple of phasers already but i love phasers   

You're not alone.

(I have a couple from Keeley and maybe others myself.)
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Univibes are essentially phasers that use a small light bulb and photocells to control the depth and rate of modulation. The main difference in sound is the throb you hear in univibes at the bottom peaks. The waves are a bit different with phasers being more sine in shape and univibes slightly squared sine in extreme settings. Setting the depth on one of them should give you a usable phaser sound.

Also, monwobobbo, I have never seen a univibes with no rate control.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Quote by gogiregion
That explains it. Beforehand I was going to buy an EVH phaser, just for a script Phase 90 with a power jack, but thought that the modern option was cool too. Now I know exactly what phaser to get, since a 45 option would add countless extra uses to it.

check out the cmattmods phasers <$100 used and they are much better than any MXR I have played.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by evening_crow
Univibes are essentially phasers that use a small light bulb and photocells to control the depth and rate of modulation. The main difference in sound is the throb you hear in univibes at the bottom peaks. The waves are a bit different with phasers being more sine in shape and univibes slightly squared sine in extreme settings. Setting the depth on one of them should give you a usable phaser sound.

That's what I thought. Especially with the MXR Uni-Vibe, which is a bit more phaser-like than the original, and most copies.

Quote by evening_crow

If you read more closely, he is saying that modern Uni-Vibe units don't have a dedicated foot pedal to vary the speed in real time. Check out pictures of the old original Uni-Vibes and you'll notice the foot controller.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Last edited by theogonia777 at Apr 2, 2017,
Quote by theogonia777
If you read more closely, he is saying that modern Uni-Vibe units don't have a dedicated foot pedal to vary the speed in real time. Check out pictures of the old original Uni-Vibes and you'll notice the foot controller.

Dry bell, Korg, Fulltone...
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Quote by evening_crow
Dry bell, Korg, Fulltone...

I never said that what he said was accurate. You said "with no rate control" which was clearly not what he was saying.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
if you are just going to get one, I'd go for a phaser - I think they are better as a first buy.

Univibes are more or less 2 stage phasers [similar to the mxr phase 45], but they are driven by a photoresistor which gives them a certain distinctive sweep. There are a few other differences too, but they certainly are from the same effect family.
Good examples for a univibe on a slow setting is Pink floyd breathe - for faster settings see trowler and hendrix. The most popular phasers have more stages [4 for the mxr phase90, 6 for the small stone]
For phaser, think of Have a cigar from pink floyd, unchained by EVH, lots of radioheads ok computer.

They cover a lot of similar ground, but I definitely I prefer phasers for higher gain stuff. In my experience univibes will have more of a low end throb compared to phasers. Whether this is good or bad is really a matter of taste.
RIP Gooze

cats
Quote by theogonia777
I never said that what he said was accurate.  You said "with no rate control" which was clearly not what he was saying.

just to be clear i never meant that none of the modern Uni-Vibe pedals have controllers. we were talking about the MXR unit not high end boutique pedals. 
Quote by mulefish
if you are just going to get one, I'd go for a phaser - I think they are better as a first buy.

Univibes are more or less 2 stage phasers [similar to the mxr phase 45], but they are driven by a photoresistor which gives them a certain distinctive sweep. There are a few other differences too, but they certainly are from the same effect family.
Good examples for a univibe on a slow setting is Pink floyd breathe - for faster settings see trowler and hendrix. The most popular phasers have more stages [4 for the mxr phase90, 6 for the small stone]
For phaser, think of Have a cigar from pink floyd, unchained by EVH, lots of radioheads ok computer.

They cover a lot of similar ground, but I definitely I prefer phasers for higher gain stuff. In my experience univibes will have more of a low end throb compared to phasers. Whether this is good or bad is really a matter of taste.

Okay, so I should probably get a phaser, especially because most of the Uni-Vibe stuff I would do would be Hendrix, who I believe typically did faster (?), and that sounds good with a regular phaser. Phase 95 it is!

Quote by gogiregion
Okay, so I should probably get a phaser, especially because most of the Uni-Vibe stuff I would do would be Hendrix, who I believe typically did faster (?), and that sounds good with a regular phaser. Phase 95 it is!

the only phasing available when Jimi was alive was a studio trick. the first actual phaser pedal didn't come out until late 74.  live it was the uni-vibe and pretty much what you hear on the Woodstock show and Band Of Gypsies is what you get. for a better look at what a uni-vibe can do listen to Robin Trower's early stuff (Bridge Of Sighes song and album is great) . i'd likely go with the Phase 95 if you want a versatile phaser that could be used for the Hendrix stuff 
Quote by monwobobbo
the only phasing available when Jimi was alive was a studio trick. the first actual phaser pedal didn't come out until late 74.  live it was the uni-vibe and pretty much what you hear on the Woodstock show and Band Of Gypsies is what you get. for a better look at what a uni-vibe can do listen to Robin Trower's early stuff (Bridge Of Sighes song and album is great) . i'd likely go with the Phase 95 if you want a versatile phaser that could be used for the Hendrix stuff 

Yeah. I would mostly be doing it for Woodstock esc stuff. I REALLY liked the Woodstock performance, and just the sound of phasers/vibes in general.

Quote by gogiregion
Yeah. I would mostly be doing it for Woodstock esc stuff. I REALLY liked the Woodstock performance, and just the sound of phasers/vibes in general.

prefer the Band of Gypsys stuff myself but to each his own. check out Robin Trower if you haven't i think you'll really like him. his 70s stuff is amazing.  also check out Frank Marino and Mahogany Rush. his version of Purple Haze on the Live album is really good. 
Quote by gogiregion

Both sound good for fast and slow stuff. The univibes sweep is probably more noticeably different at slower settings, but they do sound different on fast settings too.

But the phase 95 seems like a pretty decent option. Unless the main tones you want are univibe ones specificallty I'd go for the phaser
RIP Gooze

cats
Quote by monwobobbo
prefer the Band of Gypsys stuff myself but to each his own. check out Robin Trower if you haven't i think you'll really like him. his 70s stuff is amazing.  also check out Frank Marino and Mahogany Rush. his version of Purple Haze on the Live album is really good. 

Yeah. I don't own the Band of Gypsies album, so I haven't had the opportunity to listen all the way through it. I actually only own Axis: Bold as Love (my least favorite Hendrix album), and a few "Best of Hendrix" albums. I have downloaded the full Woodstock video, though.

Quote by mulefish
Both sound good for fast and slow stuff. The univibes sweep is probably more noticeably different at slower settings, but they do sound different on fast settings too.

But the phase 95 seems like a pretty decent option. Unless the main tones you want are univibe ones specificallty I'd go for the phaser

Yeah. They are different, but at fast speeds it's much closer. Also, most people aren't guitarists who would notice the difference. Eh. It's probably cheaper, and more versatile.

Quote by gogiregion
Yeah. I don't own the Band of Gypsies album, so I haven't had the opportunity to listen all the way through it. I actually only own Axis: Bold as Love (my least favorite Hendrix album), and a few "Best of Hendrix" albums. I have downloaded the full Woodstock video, though.

Yeah. They are different, but at fast speeds it's much closer. Also, most people aren't guitarists who would notice the difference. Eh. It's probably cheaper, and more versatile.

get the Band Of Gypsys albums. the original is one of the best albums ever made. the Live At The Fillmore has tracks from each of the 4 shows they did and the most recent is the complete 1st show.  Hendrix at his best. also get First Rays Of The New Rising Sun as that has many of the last tracks Jimi recorded and some of hs best if you ask me. 

oh and Axis is a great album if you really listen to what he was doing it's pretty amazing. 
Quote by monwobobbo
get the Band Of Gypsys albums. the original is one of the best albums ever made. the Live At The Fillmore has tracks from each of the 4 shows they did and the most recent is the complete 1st show.  Hendrix at his best. also get First Rays Of The New Rising Sun as that has many of the last tracks Jimi recorded and some of hs best if you ask me. 

oh and Axis is a great album if you really listen to what he was doing it's pretty amazing. 

Okay. Also, it's not really saying that a Hendrix album is bad, considering that it's Hendrix, and it's all good.

Quote by gogiregion
Okay. Also, it's not really saying that a Hendrix album is bad, considering that it's Hendrix, and it's all good.

it's fine not everything Jimi did was gold (and believe me i have a huge collection of his stuff) . Axis is different from any of his other albums (except Spanish Castle Magic which was more in line with what was expected) . 
Quote by monwobobbo
it's fine not everything Jimi did was gold (and believe me i have a huge collection of his stuff) . Axis is different from any of his other albums (except Spanish Castle Magic which was more in line with what was expected) . 

By it's all good I meant the albums all have good songs. There's certainly quite a bit of Hendrix songs I don't really like.