I think I must have listened to this a while back when you originally posted it, because it sounded familiar.  Anyway -- this is an awesome track; bravo!

From the first few drum beats and chords, I immediately had the thought "This could have been a missing B-side from Ulver's "Bergtatt" album."  I also heard a Drudkh influence.  You've definitely captured more of an "old-school" black metal production sound, but decidedly with some modern amenities such as actual warmth on the guitars and more clarity in the overall mix -- but definitely not the nauseatingly sterile, compressed, and perfect production that is ailing modern metal today.

At 4:45, I really enjoyed that very tasty little piano break, and you fade-in the drums and guitars perfectly into that idea later.  This is an epic track within the genre.  Just enough repetition to get the listener into a hypnotic state a la some of Burzum's material, but it stays interesting throughout.  I don't know if you plan on doing vocals at any time, but I think they'd be a huge benefit to this track.  I wouldn't change a thing about the composition or mix otherwise though.

Anyhow, I am nearly finished with a full album within the same genre, though my style is decidedly different.  I am about finished with an 11+ minute track, but at the last minute I decided to delve into vocals, and I'm struggling to get those to sound just right (I'm not a vocalist by any means).  But here's one of my older tracks that's going on the album.  I'm probably going to add vocals to it at some point, and I'm open to any suggestions on the song/mix itself if you've the time to do a critique:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1708542
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
SICK! you perfectly captured the quintessential mood and spirit of black metal with this track, while also creating an original piece of music at the same time. sounds frosty and epic!

I will definitely have to check out some of your other tracks. keep it up \m/
Quote by KailM
I think I must have listened to this a while back when you originally posted it, because it sounded familiar.  Anyway -- this is an awesome track; bravo!

From the first few drum beats and chords, I immediately had the thought "This could have been a missing B-side from Ulver's "Bergtatt" album."  I also heard a Drudkh influence.  You've definitely captured more of an "old-school" black metal production sound, but decidedly with some modern amenities such as actual warmth on the guitars and more clarity in the overall mix -- but definitely not the nauseatingly sterile, compressed, and perfect production that is ailing modern metal today.

At 4:45, I really enjoyed that very tasty little piano break, and you fade-in the drums and guitars perfectly into that idea later.  This is an epic track within the genre.  Just enough repetition to get the listener into a hypnotic state a la some of Burzum's material, but it stays interesting throughout.  I don't know if you plan on doing vocals at any time, but I think they'd be a huge benefit to this track.  I wouldn't change a thing about the composition or mix otherwise though.

Anyhow, I am nearly finished with a full album within the same genre, though my style is decidedly different.  I am about finished with an 11+ minute track, but at the last minute I decided to delve into vocals, and I'm struggling to get those to sound just right (I'm not a vocalist by any means).  But here's one of my older tracks that's going on the album.  I'm probably going to add vocals to it at some point, and I'm open to any suggestions on the song/mix itself if you've the time to do a critique:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1708542

I've actually been trying vocals on it but haven't been happy with them, so I left it as an instrumental for now. I haven't been able to get any critique on them yet, so check this out too if you can:

https://soundcloud.com/leealacoque/under-a-starless-sky-vocal-attempt-2/s-Y2qp9

I'm not sure if I don't like it because it's mostly that my vocals are too mediocre, or if the recording/mix is bad. Or both?
Quote by LeeAlacoque
I've actually been trying vocals on it but haven't been happy with them, so I left it as an instrumental for now. I haven't been able to get any critique on them yet, so check this out too if you can:

https://soundcloud.com/leealacoque/under-a-starless-sky-vocal-attempt-2/s-Y2qp9

I'm not sure if I don't like it because it's mostly that my vocals are too mediocre, or if the recording/mix is bad. Or both?

I checked it out -- I don't think your vocals are mediocre at all, they're quite nice (in a black metal sort of way, hehe).  As I thought earlier -- they do improve your song, and I think it really sounds like Drudkh with the vocals (which is a high compliment, IMO -- they're awesome).

Did you double-track your vocals?  That is one way to improve them, and it's not cheating -- lots of metal bands do it; hell, some of them do a lot more than two layers of the same vocals.  To our own ears, we never sound as good to ourselves when we hear playback of our voices.  That's because we hear ourselves (in person) in stereo because we have two ears.  Our heads also filter some of that sound and shape the tone.  So by doing two tracks of the same lyrics (and match it as closely as you possibly can) it'll thicken it up and make it sound closer to what we hear during the performance.

It looks like you checked out my latest song, "Black Epoch" (thread is still on this page, as I uploaded it just a few days ago).  While I am not really a vocalist, I was sort of surprised at how I could sound.  All I did was one set of vocals, which I doubled (two tracks of exactly the same thing) just to bring the volume up because it was a very dense mix already, then I did another track which was a separate performance.  I used compression (pretty heavy at that), EQ, and reverb on a master vocal bus -- that's it.

Listening to yours, I think the vocals could come up in the mix a tad -- but I don't see this song as needing vocals that dominate the mix.  They are part of the instrumentation, after all.  Just a tad more volume.  Chances are, if you haven't double-tracked your vocals already, just doing that will bring it up to the perfect level in the mix, and it'll sound thicker and meaner on top of that.  I hope that helps.
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Last edited by KailM at Apr 11, 2017,
Quote by KailM
I checked it out -- I don't think your vocals are mediocre at all, they're quite nice (in a black metal sort of way, hehe).  As I thought earlier -- they do improve your song, and I think it really sounds like Drudkh with the vocals (which is a high compliment, IMO -- they're awesome).

Did you double-track your vocals?  That is one way to improve them, and it's not cheating -- lots of metal bands do it; hell, some of them do a lot more than two layers of the same vocals.  To our own ears, we never sound as good to ourselves when we hear playback of our voices.  That's because we hear ourselves (in person) in stereo because we have two ears.  Our heads also filter some of that sound and shape the tone.  So by doing two tracks of the same lyrics (and match it as closely as you possibly can) it'll thicken it up and make it sound closer to what we hear during the performance.

It looks like you checked out my latest song, "Black Epoch" (thread is still on this page, as I uploaded it just a few days ago).  While I am not really a vocalist, I was sort of surprised at how I could sound.  All I did was one set of vocals, which I doubled (two tracks of exactly the same thing) just to bring the volume up because it was a very dense mix already, then I did another track which was a separate performance.  I used compression (pretty heavy at that), EQ, and reverb on a master vocal bus -- that's it.

Listening to yours, I think the vocals could come up in the mix a tad -- but I don't see this song as needing vocals that dominate the mix.  They are part of the instrumentation, after all.  Just a tad more volume.  Chances are, if you haven't double-tracked your vocals already, just doing that will bring it up to the perfect level in the mix, and it'll sound thicker and meaner on top of that.  I hope that helps.

Thanks for the compliment. The more I listen to it, the more I get used to the sound of my own vocals and it doesn't sound as bad as it did initially.

I didn't double track them, but I can imagine what that would do based on what it does to the guitar sound. Listening for that in some professional songs, it sounds like most of the vocals are a single centered track, but double or triple tracked in places for effect. I'll definitely try some double tracking next time.

Your vocals actually sound really good. I wouldn't think it was done by someone who doesn't consider themselves a vocalist just by listening to it.
^^Thanks! I think most people just have a tendency to hate the sound of their own voices on a recording, haha.  I know I hated mine when I did my first track on Black Epoch.  But after I double tracked it it sounded a lot more like it did when I actually delivered the performance.  Though I've never done vocals before that, I am starting to think I can continue to do it.  I don't know if I've found "my" sound or not.  I think my vocals on that track sound a bit more "death metally" than black metal, but for now that's all I can do with my voice.  And I guess it still works in the song.
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood