Hey, I recently got the opportunity to try out some Joyos at a local store, and thought I'd share my thoughts here, someone might find it useful. Ok so, the gear was a blackheart amp, which I hadn't tried out before, in clean channel. I didn't meddle with amp settings, but it sounded full, and a bit bassy. The guitar was a cheap ibanez gio, with modified pups, gfs fat pat on bridge, gfs mean 90 on neck. The former is a hot one with more pronounced highs, the latter is vintage, bluesy with more bottom end. Before getting into pedals, gotta say this, there were at least 6 joyo pedals in the chain and it really didn't effect the tone when they were off, no tone-sucking or hissing, so when Joyo says true-bypass they are really meaning it. All are metal&well constructed for the price. So to the pedals:

Joyo Pocket Metal: Definitely worst of the bunch, and I'd say not a good pedal either. Sounds way too boxy and tasteless, but distorts as hell and it is quite tight. So this may not be a problem if you're into very extreme kinds of metal, but as a decades-old heavy&thrash fan I found it too much. This goes out as distortion pedal, while the others are o/d, so a bit unfair to compare them, but still.
Deluxe Crunch: Hadn't spend too much time on this either. It does what it says, and comes with 4 knobs so quite versatile. Provides a wide, loose crunch sound, suitable for punk are stuff like that, but crunch is not my thing really.
Hot Plexi: This one surprised me, as it had much stronger gain than I expected from anything named Plexi. But at low gain, you can get a very decent vintage rock tone, and it sound very lively and wide. Could be that two humbuckers were too strong, and it may sound better with single coils.
Vintage Overdrive: This was the one I intended to buy, so I spent a lot more time on it. But gotta say, it is really ace. Sounds very warm, more focused than Plexi, perfect for solo boosting or just getting that tube sound. Tone control is decent, you can dial up or down as much as you like without it starting to sound like shit. It is more pronounced at the higher-end though, so it sounds warmer than most other tube-screamer clones, or the original pedal itself. This is not a necessarily bad thing, you can even see some ppl picking this over the Ibanez. Drive also scales up nicely, can be used in any position, and at the extreme you can get a early-heavy sound from a clean channel. Obviously not meant for anything heavier than that, but can handle occasional metal if used with amp gain. Perfect for both rhythms and soloing.
Ultimate Drive: This one comes with a high and low gain option, and it really made me hesitate before settling with Vintage. It sounds really great, very modern and focused, and both at low and high gain settings, doesn't become a messy noisefest when the drive knob is dialed up to the max. Also provides a nice, focused solo boost. Can go anywhere from alt-rock, grunge to thrash, or even death, very versatile. My only gripe is that it is bassy (which may be a fault on amps side too), so tone knob becomes worthless in places lower than mid position, and it lacks the airy feeling of Vintage, so it does what it does very well, but doesn't really have a characteristic sound.

All in all, I'd say that Vintage and Ultimate are great options for the price, they can even compete with stuff double their price. Plexi is also an option if you're into crunch&classic rock. First and foremost I was after a solo boost so I picked Vintage over Ultimate, but I could've gone with the other easily if I was looking for more modern and heavier sound. I may still get Ultimate in the future as my main dirt pedal, and use it together with Vintage. Damn that reminds me I should've tried them together, eh maybe next time.
^ yeah the vintage is a tubescreamer and the ultimate is the ocd

my hot plexi doesn't have a massive range of gain on it
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I bought a Joyo Vintage OD, just came today.
It's tip top for $22, though with the gain cranked and using the strat it makes an odd noise (repetitive clicking sound), doesn't do it with humbuckers.

Seriously considering their reverb pedal.
Yeah, I'm looking for a reverb too and spaceverb packs quite a lot options and sounds quite good on that few youtube demos. Also it's kinda the only thing in my budget here, since donner has no reverb and mooers do seem to suck. Would be great if you give feedback on that if you decide to buy.
Btw, I found out that the bassiness of Ultimate Drive was a common complaint, and most ppl mod it for a warmer sound. It is a fairly easy mod too, I'm tempted to try that.
Last edited by diemydarling at Apr 22, 2017,
Quote by diemydarling
Yeah, I'm looking for a reverb too and spaceverb packs quite a lot options and sounds quite good on that few youtube demos. Also it's kinda the only thing in my budget here, since donner has no reverb and mooers do seem to suck. Would be great if you give feedback on that if you decide to buy.
Btw, I found out that the bassiness of Ultimate Drive was a common complaint, and most ppl mod it for a warmer sound. It is a fairly easy mod too, I'm tempted to try that.

Because those Joyo pedals were so cheap I bought 2, was going to give one to a friend who started playing.
But now maybe I think I'll try modding, putting in a different IC or something easier like changing up the diodes.
I waver on that reverb pedal, the youtube videos look good but I swear on one of them I heard the noise wall go up as it tailed out.
A few owners also said it was a bit noisy. I can't afford a gate now, hope its not that much.
Quote by diemydarling
A few owners also said it was a bit noisy. I can't afford a gate now, hope its not that much.

Meh, maybe wait and save a few more bucks and get a better brand.
The Over Drive is decent, I like it, but that joyo reverb could be a hit or miss.
They have a Hotone for ~80 and a TC Electronics for 99, the cheapest I could find the Joyo Space Verb was 55.
If I buy one I put up a review.
Oh another cheap one is Biyang, it costs aroudn the same. That one gets really rave reviews, check that if you can.
that's weird about the clicking sound. i dunno if i ever ran mine with the gain on full

biyangs sound pretty good too, but the ones i had at least were unreliable (the older style ones in the biggish chrome cases).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'm still waiting the store to renew their stock, so I couldn't try anything from that Sound series. Still, based on youtube demos, California is the one I liked the most, seems great for grunge and metal, too bad I'm currently on the more classic rock side of things, so it's a hard choice between British, AC and American, I'll probably go with first though, but I'm definitely buying one.
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ yeah the vintage is a tubescreamer and the ultimate is the ocd

my hot plexi doesn't have a massive range of gain on it

and I'm pretty sure the deluxe crunch is a MI deluxe [?] crunchbox, and that the pocket metal is an ehx metal muff.
My hot plexi came with the wrong kind of pot, and the entire gain range was in the last quarter or so of the pots range.

Quote by Dave_Mc
that's weird about the clicking sound. i dunno if i ever ran mine with the gain on full

biyangs sound pretty good too, but the ones i had at least were unreliable (the older style ones in the biggish chrome cases).

My experience is with the newer smaller capsule ones, but they've been very comparable to joyo to me. I didn't like their phaser as much as the joyos, but their delay is much better than both the joyo delays imo.
RIP Gooze

cats
Just wanted to add I discovered what was making the clicking with the single coils using the Joyo OD with the gain cranked, turns out it's the Phillips Hue bulbs I have (they have some sort of wifi) unplugged no more clicking.
Quote by mulefish
and I'm pretty sure the deluxe crunch is a MI deluxe [?] crunchbox, and that the pocket metal is an ehx metal muff.
My hot plexi came with the wrong kind of pot, and the entire gain range was in the last quarter or so of the pots range.

My experience is with the newer smaller capsule ones, but they've been very comparable to joyo to me. I didn't like their phaser as much as the joyos, but their delay is much better than both the joyo delays imo.

haha yeah that could well be the problem (the wrong pot).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by diemydarling

Here's something to think about, on a whim I bought a Zoom MS-70cdr (chorus, delay, reverb) for $113 US and was pleasantly surprise by the quality of some of the sounds.
It has phase, flanger, chorus, reverb, pitch shifter, graphic EQ and delay.
You can chain up to 6 effects together as one patch.

I use it now for a chorus or delay pedal, and I use only one effect at a time as it lets me turn off the one effect using the foot switch.
I have to go through the manual but it seems when running multiple effects it stays on regardless, I could be wrong about that.

IMO the pitch shifter is cheese but there are a few reverb, chorus and delay sounds that are very nice.
I think that's a great buy, I would've thought about it if Zoom products weren't terribly overpriced here. Especially it would be great for subtle, always-on effects -which I tend to use reverb, delay and chorus as- and then adding the real, drastic effects on top of it when needed.

I know Vintage OD doesn't need more praise, but I recently did a fairly big, open-air gig with it and by god it really handled it very well. Some pedals, like my Mooer chorus, sound thin&artificial when miked as they cannot really fill the opened up soundspace, but Vintage OD really shines, it didn't lose any detail and remained lively as ever. I don't see myself replacing it, go buy it if you still haven't ffs, it's only 25$.