Hi guys,

I just play at home for personal enjoyment. SRV, Clapton, RHCP are a few of the band's I enjoy. I'm either going to get a new strat or tele. Not a beginner but I'm also not Slash.

Wanted to see suggestions for a good multi effects pedal and amp. Nothing to gig with, just playing in my apt. Might like to hook it up to a comp and edit. Headphone jack to listen.

What is the best setup for the amp and multi pedal for about 800 to 1000? Would love to be able and record strumming so i can lead over it.

Thanks in advance.
Sounds like a MiM Fender Strat or G&L Tribute Legacy for guitar would be a good option. Probably SSS, but HSS could work, too.

For amp, I'd look at the Fender HRD and Carvin Vintage line for a good tube amp, or maybe something like a Peavey Delta Blues 115. Go used if you can. A Quilter solid state (non-modeling) amp would also be a good option. A couple of the smaller Quilters, like the 101 and the Microblock 101 have headphone jacks, but do not come as combos (for reasons that become obvious as soon as you see them).
https://carvinaudio.com/collections/vintage-tube-amplifier-series
http://www.quilterlabs.com

The Zoom MFX pedals get a lot of oven around here, and several product in their line have headphone jacks.also look at Line 6 POD products.

OTOH, it is never too early to start with discrete pedals, especially for the kind of stuff you seem to like. A good drive pedal- Boss Blues Driver, Keeley Katana Blues, Magnetic Effects Satellite, etc.- is a good start.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
dannyalcatraz 
Just checked out the Carvin's and they sound great. I had a Marshall about 10 years ago but got rid of it when I stopped playing for a spell. I was wondering if it was some kind of cardinal sin to have stand alone pedals with a multi-effect pedal? 

Thanks so much for the advice, I'm going to research all of the products you talked about now haha. 
Zoom G1Xon multifunction pedal. It's economical, has a headphone jack, and a loop function. Just don't mention that you have one in a public guitar forum, or the gear snobs will sneer at you. 
Out of curiosity, what pedals would a gear snob have if they only had 4? Also if I consider an American Strat are there better options at that price point? 
taylor.brannen

There are players who tour with hybrid MFX/standard pedal rigs...sometimes with rackmounts as well. Whatever gets the job done.

As for which four? Well, the only universally required pedal is a tuner. Every genre has its preferences...and iconoclasts.

Phillip McNight posted this.

And in all honesty, i don't actually agree with him 100%. It took me YEARS of playing before I bought a wah, and I don't use it that much. But he makes good points as to why he chose what he did.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by taylor.brannen
Out of curiosity, what pedals would a gear snob have if they only had 4? Also if I consider an American Strat are there better options at that price point? 

Go to pretty much any musical gear website and search for the basic kinds of pedals. The sort them by most expensive to least expensive. The most expensive ones are the ones the gear snobs would have. If someone picks pedals for their performance, and not to impress other musicians, then they aren't gear snobs. 

As for the American Strat, there are dozens and dozens of guitars at the same price point that would be better (or worse) than an American Strat. Evaluations like better or worse are purely subjective. Personally, I wouldn't want a Strat, though I've played them. More importantly, some of the best music I've ever heard was played on a Strat. But my personal taste runs to semi-hollow bodies with humbuckers. I can't make any sort of convincing argument why a semi-hollow with humbuckers is better. I can't make an argument that a Gibson ES-335 is better than a Gibson Les Paul, SG, or one of their weird shaped guitars. But, I like what I like, so to me, that's the best. You need to determine for yourself what's best for you. 

One thing I would recommend bearing in mind. Back in the olden days, guitar parts were cut out by hand. Now, they're cut out by robotic CNC milling machines, who make parts that are absolutely dimensionally perfect. And it doesn't matter if a robotic CNC machine is in California, Korea, China, or any other place. It's a good and patriotic thing to buy American, especially if you can afford the higher price. But it doesn't automatically mean you'll get a superior product. 
I don't use pedals (jazz and blues), but if I did and was a gear snob limiting to myself only four... well that's easy; Carl Martin Quattro!

Quote by reverb66
I'm pretty sure the Bible requires that you play through a tube amp in Texas.
PlusPaul

OK...one down, three to go!

Quote by taylor.brannen
Also if I consider an American Strat are there better options at that price point? 

There are a lot of American Strats out there. I just saw one for @$650 (used, of course) and another for $2250. I'm sure there are pricier ones still.

What approximate price did you have in mind.

(Yes, I'm still avoiding answering "which 4" I'd choose...)

A good tube screamer is always a handy tool to have in your belt.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Quote by dannyalcatraz
nastytroll

Aw Dude I learned to play organ at like 10 years old,  Mom and a couple aunts were accomplished players,  Hated that crap myself,   Few years ago I did a service call to repair a forklift at a company that built pipe organs, owner gave me a full tour when I told him my story,   That there my friend is a serious art form.  Think building a guitar is hard? that aint shit,   Think playing an organ is easy?  Oh, I beg to differ!  Cool vid. Thanks buddy 
Oh, I KNOW organs are a challenge. Mom was a music teacher. Voice, piano and organ were her deal.

Organs- especially of the pipe variety in a cathedral or similar venue- are among my favorite instruments to hear.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Oh, I KNOW organs are a challenge.  Mom was a music teacher.  Voice, piano and organ were her deal.

Organs- especially of the pipe variety in a cathedral or similar venue- are among my favorite instruments to hear.

Yea that was played in a treble clef,  Try adding in a Alto and Bass clef and reading all three lines at the same time.  No wonder I'm all fucked up 
Quote by nastytroll
Yea but 12 tubes screaming in unison is better

I agree screaming tubes are great but he was talking about effects

"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Apr 5, 2017,
taylor.brannen I think while a lot of these suggestions are rather good, we might be going over the board for what you need.

In your case, I'd say you can probably go with Yamaha THR10 which can also record direct into your computer.
http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical-instruments/guitars-basses/amps/thr/?mode=series#tab=product_lineup
Quote by taylor.brannen

four Klon Centuars.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/

Even Andy Summers only has 3!

Quote by dannyalcatraz

Even Andy Summers only has 3!

he is second rate then .

Totally joking.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/