I have been changing my mind alot but i have now found 2 combo amps im interested in. The 112 6505+ combo 60 watt. Or the peavey 5150 combo. Are they basicaly the same amp?
5150 is a 2x12, nastier gain, but worse cleans. 5150's are made in the USA. I am pretty sure that the 6505+ combos are imports.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
They are not the same amp, but are very similar in gain structure.  Just to say this up front:  The 5150 212 combo weighs about 100 pounds and is as large as the bottom half of a 4 X 12 cabinet.  Keep that in mind if you need to be moving it around a lot.  The 6505+ 112 is also heavy, but a more manageable 65 pounds, and slightly smaller (still big for a 1 X 12 combo though).

The 5150 (or 6505 212 combo which is the same thing) is made in the U.S., while the 6505+ 112s have always been made in China.  The U.S.-made Peaveys are without a doubt higher quality than the ones made in China.  Sadly, they are making nearly everything in China now.   

That said, I have a 6505+ 112 (which I later converted into a head).  The 6505+ series has better cleans and on both channels a more "upper-midrange" emphasis on the distorted tones, and are tighter in picking response.  The 5150/regular 6505 series has a more guttural lower-midrange emphasis on distorted tones, as well as more low-end thump.  With an EQ pedal in the loop, you can get either one or the other to sound pretty close to each other -- so I'd recommend that no matter what.

In the end, I like that gnarlier/thumpier original 5150 tone the best, so I modded my 112 to have those specs on the lead channel -- and it sounds just like the original (I also have a 6505 head to compare it to -- my modded 6505+ 112 sounds nearly identical on the lead channel).

If you're playing heavy music of any kind, you can't go wrong with either choice, really.
Amp hunting? Hunting amps is terrible. Next you're gonna say you shoot trap and skeet with real pedals.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
I used to have a 5150 212 combo. 100 lbs is accurate.

I'd take a 6505+ over it for the added versatility - better clean channel and foot switchable crunch.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Okay so how about a 6505mh 1x12 combo? Or the 6505 60 watt combo set. About same price. The 20 watt head im scared i wont get a good loud tone where the 60 watt i heard sounds like shit on low living room volume
5150 = 6505
5150 II = 6505+

The name changed to "6505" in 2005 I believe because Ed Van Halen left Peavey and he owned the rights to the "5150" trademark. But internally they are the same amps.

And there is no such thing as a 6505MH combo -- they are head-only.

That is the one version of the family I haven't played. But here's what I know/have experienced with low wattage EL84 power-tubed amps. They can get loud-- no question about that. But after a certain point they cannot keep increasing the low end in your tone regardless of how high you set your bass.

Most people that play metal like some low end "thump" in their tone. At lower volumes, those mini tube amps can provide it -- but at gig/band volumes it's a different story. It's physics -- low end takes a lot more power than mids or treble at higher volumes.

The 112 combo has two 6l6 power tubes and 60 watts-- which can pack a wallop, let me tell you. It would certainly BURY a 6505mh. Actually, between it and my 6505 120 watt head, they can both produce more volume and low end than I could ever use.

And lastly, they sound fine at low volumes-- you just have to adjust your EQ for it. Whoever says otherwise doesn't know good tone if it slapped them in the face.
Ok thanks i think ill pick up the 6505 1x12 combo this week sometime. Heard alot of negative comments about the speaker it comes with.
Quote by lon6505
Ok thanks i think ill pick up the 6505 1x12 combo this week sometime. Heard alot of negative comments about the speaker it comes with.

Yeah the speaker sucks in them. But the 212 combos have the same sucky speakers, so yeah. You likely won't think it sucks until you try something better. When I first bought my 112 combo I was blown away by how good it sounded -- but after a while I upgraded the speaker to an Emenence Governor and heard what all the fuss was about once it broke in. I tried the original speaker again and that's when I noticed it didn't sound that great. It's not a deal-breaker though.

Your best bet is to use it as-is, then convert it into a head (easy) and set it on top of an oversized 212 cab or 412 loaded with Celestion V30s or Emi Governors. Then it will eat people alive.
Last edited by KailM at Apr 2, 2017,
Ok thanks. I also have a mesa boogie widebody 1x12 with c90 speakers. I thought about putting mini head on it. Only thing turning me off is the loss of low end thump at high volume like you said.
lon6505 look at the EVH brand as well, they have a micro head that sounds rather beastly and is made in Mexico. Essentially 3 of the same amp with some slight retuning. If weight weren't an option and the original 5150 amp was in a good condition, I'd pick that one first. With that in mind...I am becoming more and more micro head convert. I got Orange Tiny Terror, Mesa Mini Rectifier and on recording I can get the same sounds as much bigger amps. I am thinking of taking the Mesa Mini head with me on the road this year, replacing my 100+lbs rackmount rig...we'll see, I am doing the test sometime next week.
The 6505MH in my opinion just doesn't sound as good as a modded 60 watt combo or the 120 watt head. It's worth noting that the 6505MH is not an all-tube amp. It's a hybrid. There is simply no way an amp can deliver that level of gain with the relatively few number of tubes inside it. Op-amps are responsible for quite a bit of the amp's tone.

I too have extensively modded my 6505 112 to almost extreme levels and while it took some research and time, it was worth it. the 112 is an excellent modding platform and some pretty fantastic results can be achieved with some research and experimentation.

The first thing you absolutely need to do with the 112 and throw the speaker in the trash and put either a Celestion V30 or an Eminence Swamp Thang in it. The stock speaker is garbage. Then put in some JJ tubes. Then if you're a bit more confident, proceed with effects loop, preamp, tone stack, EQ and bias mods. You can end up with an amp that really has a proper Soldano-y lead tone, make the clean channel of the amp way more usable, make the controls of the amp operate in more useful ranges, and significantly improve the transparency of the effects loop if you're willing to make a bit of effort.

The EVH 5150 LBX is a pretty great-sounding amp too, but it's expensive for what it is. For that money, you're better off saving a bit more and getting the 5153 50 watt head, which has a lot of very useful features that are missing in the LBX amps. It also has significantly better handling of low end at higher volumes than the LBX's. It is also a straight-up kickass amp just in general.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Ok thanks. Im trying to upgrade to a 6505mh or a 112 combo. I currently run a line 6 spider 2 75 watt. Surely either one above has better tone than spider 2. I am also looking at a 5150 2x12 combo used off a buddy. I play mostly metal.
If you can get a used 5150 combo and you're willing to live with the weight of it, then get that.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
^^^Yup.  And for what it's worth, the 212 combos have a slightly different circuit than either the 5150/6505 head and the 5150 II/6505+.  I've heard more than one 5150 fan say the 212 combo is their favorite of the bunch.  While the tone is decidedly closer to the original 5150 circuit, the power section is supposedly biased a little warmer and the midrange is somewhere between a 5150 and 5150 II --- so a little tighter than an original, but still more girthy and gnarly than a 5150 II.  But, we're not talking huge differences here.  They all sound killer in the right hands.

I want to get my hands on one same day and convert it into a head.  Because I'll be damned if I'm going to carry around a 100 pound combo...
Last edited by KailM at Apr 3, 2017,
Only thing that sucks is it still has stock tubes and he says they work great. He works at guitar center. I dont have cash to get amp and a tube swap right now. Just amp
Quote by lon6505
Only thing that sucks is it still has stock tubes and he says they work great. He works at guitar center. I dont have cash to get amp and a tube swap right now. Just amp

tubes can live for a long time. I wouldn't worry about that. personally I would just grab one or two 12AX7's just in case. $12 a pop.

I have purchased new amps where one tube died a week later. I wouldn't be overly concerned. they can last from two minutes to decades.

go for the 5150 2x12.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/