Title says it all. Are there any tonal benefits of having a combo of a particular amp with a particular speaker over the head version of that same amp with a cabinet that is the same speaker.

Forget portability, versatility, open/closed back. Just purely identical setups with head+cab/combo being the only variable.
Cort KX1Q w/ Seymour Duncan Jazz/JB
Fender Standard Stratocaster Plus Top - Aged Cherry Burst with Maple Fingerboard
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Florentine PRO Hollowbody - Faded Cherry Sunburst w/ Seymour Duncan SH-55's

Mesa Boogie Mark V 35 Head
Orange PPC112 - 60W 1x12" V30 Cabinet
Two Notes Torpedo Live
Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 Plus Universal Power Supply

Boss TU3 Chromatic Tuner -> Whirlwind Red Box Compressor -> Hardwire CM-2 Tube Overdrive -> MXR Custom Badass '78 Distortion -> Vick Audio '73 Ram's Head -> loop -> Whirlwind Orange Box Phaser -> Mooer Eleclady Flanger -> Strymon Flint Tremolo and Reverb -> MXR Carbon Copy Delay -> MXR 10-Band EQ
My thinking was that in a combo theres all those metallic components jammed in the same space that a cabinet would just have wood. But I also dont know acoustically if that makes a difference or if its just signal -> speaker, and thats it.
Fender Standard Stratocaster Plus Top - Aged Cherry Burst with Maple Fingerboard
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Florentine PRO Hollowbody - Faded Cherry Sunburst w/ Seymour Duncan SH-55's

Two Notes Torpedo Live

Boss TU3 Chromatic Tuner -> Whirlwind Red Box Compressor -> Hardwire CM-2 Tube Overdrive -> MXR Custom Badass '78 Distortion -> Vick Audio '73 Ram's Head -> loop -> Whirlwind Orange Box Phaser -> Mooer Eleclady Flanger -> Strymon Flint Tremolo and Reverb -> MXR Carbon Copy Delay -> MXR 10-Band EQ
Typically combo speakers are smaller then there head\cab counterpart. But all things being equal they should be the same. 
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by AcousticMirror
no

yeah pretty much

well maybe the combo might be slightly more microphonic. maybe some people might like that.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Combos are more likely to have tube rattle with speaker right there inside , My Peavey Classic 30 seems to tube rattle with some volume at times
Fumble fingers FYI, JJ has a double mica 6L6 (not sure if that's what the Classic 30 takes) and maybe others specifically for combo amps.  I have them in my Mesa Roadster.  Eurotubes sells them.  
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by thundermonty
Title says it all. Are there any tonal benefits of having a combo of a particular amp with a particular speaker over the head version of that same amp with a cabinet that is the same speaker.

Forget portability, versatility, open/closed back. Just purely identical setups with head+cab/combo being the only variable.

How many combos do you see that are closed back?
If they were *really* otherwise identical, what would you expect would be the tonal difference?
Last edited by dspellman at Apr 2, 2017,
dspellman 

Like I said, I didnt know if having the amp's components in the same enclosure as the speaker would make a difference, all else constant. 

Two Notes Torpedo Live

dspellman

My Mesa Roadster 212 and Peavey 5150 212 are/were closed back for the cab but open for the head part.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Closed back has tighter low end.
www.facebook.com/yourbadinfluence
Quote by metalmingee
dspellman

My Mesa Roadster 212 and Peavey 5150 212 are/were closed back for the cab but open for the head part.

Yup, there are a few out there.