Has anyone come across any amps that produce powertube distortion sounds at low volumes in the preamp tubes? A lot of amps I play on get this sound by turning up the volume but I am wondering if anyone has used any amps that can do it in the preamp at low volume settings.
Dean MAB1. Epiphone Annihilation V. EVH 5150III 50. Orange PPC112. Earthquaker devices - The Warden, Arrows, Acapulco Gold, Levitation, Night Wire. EHX Big Muff Pi Tone Wicker. Polytune mini. e906. SM57. Focusrite. LINUX!
No. Powertube distortion sounds terrible. No one wants this.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
AcousticMirror I thought that when you have enough gain from the pre-amps you then push the volume on the power tubes to get a harder distortion? What I am looking for is good distortion at lower volumes. I heard some people claim that even with the volume low on some amps they still get the combination pre-amp/power-amp distortion.
Dean MAB1. Epiphone Annihilation V. EVH 5150III 50. Orange PPC112. Earthquaker devices - The Warden, Arrows, Acapulco Gold, Levitation, Night Wire. EHX Big Muff Pi Tone Wicker. Polytune mini. e906. SM57. Focusrite. LINUX!
Quote by Deermonic
AcousticMirror I thought that when you have enough gain from the pre-amps you then push the volume on the power tubes to get a harder distortion? What I am looking for is good distortion at lower volumes. I heard some people claim that even with the volume low on some amps they still get the combination pre-amp/power-amp distortion.

you can get preamp distortion which is the tight compressed distortion that metal uses.
you'll never get get the flubby middy crunchy distortion that dad rock uses. It's an entirely different type of sound and preamp tubes won't ever do it.

You need power tubes to distort and for that you need volume.

Attenuation.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
AcousticMirror is dead on.

also typically combos have a smaller enclosure than a cab does, which will play into the setup a bit.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Good distortion at low volumes means cranking up the preamp gain (possibly using an overdrive pedal as well), but keeping the master volume low. Or cranking both up and using an attenuator between the power amp out leads and the speaker.

The preamp high/master low is much easier, though.
It sounds pretty much like power tubes are power tubes just a fact of the distortion chain and a fundamental part of what an amp does at its core.

Tubescreamers, attenuators are concessions if you can't do that and obviously an isolation cab.

So here is another question I have.

Let's say you have a 15W and 100W amp. Same brand and model, just different wattage. I was always led to believe that a cranked 15W will achieve that tone better than a 100W with the master down because the 15W is engaging the power tubes. However I am thinking maybe this is wrong and that the 100W at lower volume settings is engaging the power amp just as much as a cranked 15W. Which is it?
Quote by Deermonic
It sounds pretty much like power tubes are power tubes just a fact of the distortion chain and a fundamental part of what an amp does at its core.

Tubescreamers, attenuators are concessions if you can't do that and obviously an isolation cab.

So here is another question I have.

Let's say you have a 15W and 100W amp. Same brand and model, just different wattage. I was always led to believe that a cranked 15W will achieve that tone better than a 100W with the master down because the 15W is engaging the power tubes. However I am thinking maybe this is wrong and that the 100W at lower volume settings is engaging the power amp just as much as a cranked 15W. Which is it?

neither really. the 15w is working a little harder at the same volume but it's barely even half the maximum volume difference between 100 watts and 15w. Add that to the fact that the 15w is going to be using entirely different power tubes then the 100 watt amp.

I don't know about fundamental part of what an amp does..the power tubes don't have to distort.

what makes you think you even need power tube distortion.

AcousticMirror If distortion is in the pre-amp signal then it will be amplified by the power tubes if the master volume is cranked right?

Marshall cranked distortion vs not cranked for example.
I mean the power tubes will make the preamp signal louder until the power tubes themselves distort at which point all you will hear is power tube distortion.