Does anyone have any recommendations for a decent mini-amp?

I have NO familiarity to what a Mini-Amp is, literally. So take the below with a grain of salt.

Will just be to fool around with at house or hotel room.

I'm guessing about the size of one's hand or smaller???

Presume battery operated???

Want distortion and clean options.

Want some reasonable volume capability.

Don't want to spend tons of money. Less expensive the better, in general. But could drop more if it really meant that much better amp.

Don't want it to break soon; don't want to regret purchase.
If you have a laptop get an Instrument to USB cable and use amp simulation software (I use Peavey ReValver).

There are a ton of options for plying through your phone or tablet as well.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Zoom G3 & headphones or the aux input of your home stereo
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Watch this. Do what the guy says. Get infinitely better results from any micro amp POS.

If you want to do this portably, get a laptop.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
I used to always recommend portable digital modelers- Line 6 PODs, Korg Pandoras, Boss MicroBRs, etc.- because of their size, and list of features, including a headphone jack, and often computer connectivity, microphones, and the like. Sometimes, I'd add better MFX units to my posts, since they, too, have headphone jacks.

Recently, though, other products have come to my attention.

Both of these solid state amps from Quilter have headphone jacks. They're not modeling, and take pedals like tube amps.
http://www.quilterlabs.com/index.php/productpage/microblock-45
http://www.quilterlabs.com/index.php/productpage/101-mini-head

The smaller one was unveiled at NAMM 2017. Imagine being able to walk into a gig with your axe on your back, a cab in one hand and your pedalboard in another...because your amp is on your pedalboard or in your gig bag.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
The mini amps that look like tiny versions of the big amps are not good at all. They are toys/novelty items and nothing else... I do have a VOX one though.

A small modeling system or a micro head like the 6505 Piranha or Orange Micro Terror will get you proper sound quality.
Quote by Will Lane
A small micro head like the 6505 Piranha will get you proper sound quality.

lolno
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
lolno
I thought it was okay? Is it not okay? To be clear, I was just referencing "proper" micro amps and not the toy versions. The Piranha was just the first to come to mind.
Quote by Will Lane
I thought it was okay? Is it not okay? To be clear, I was just referencing "proper" micro amps and not the toy versions. The Piranha was just the first to come to mind.

No it sounds terrible. Nothing like a 6505. The Piranha is barely one step away from being one of those toy amps honestly.

At least the micro terror is stomachable.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
No it sounds terrible. Nothing like a 6505. The Piranha is barely one step away from being one of those toy amps honestly.

At least the micro terror is stomachable.
Right. I heard a few demos, thought it was okay. Oh well.

Another option are the Hotone units. Amp Sims are ideal if you already take a laptop around with you, though.
I have a Roland Micro-Cube which I got on  sale years ago for dirt cheap - it's fantastic for what it is and is great for practice, parties, hotels etc. The sound quality is surprisingly good for some tones ( "dirty clean" is actually usable). The Battery lasts for ever. One of my favorite pieces of gear and I'm a gear snob. Don't expect miracles, but for low volume practice, it's fantastic.  The small speaker pushes almost zero bass so you can crank it quite loud without it bothering anyone. I even use it with my P Bass sometimes if I'm jamming with acoustic instruments etc. It can even keep up with a drum kit if the player is using brushes.  Surprising for the price and the size. 

Most companies have some version of that amp, Fender, Yamaha, Orange etc.  I'm assuming they're all of similar quality. Go on Sweetwater and just search for combo amps between $100 and $300 - they'll all be in there. 
I quite like the micro cube - it does everything you might want for noodling about away from home or just quickly when at home. 

I also disagree with other posters - the mini amps are not terrible. I have a Marshall MS2-C - whilst it by no means the greatest amp in the world, it does the job, its quick and convenient and the battery lasts quite a long time (even when you accidentally leave it on all day). It also has a headphone jack, which comes in useful if others in the area don't want to hear you playing! 
Just a get a 100 watt head and half stack already.  Life's too short for the small stuff.  
The only mini amp I have used that was not complete crap is the PigNose

"It's better to be a warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war"