As the title says, is there such a thing as a stable job in music?

I recently had a bit of an epiphany and realised that life is too short to be stuck in a job that you're not passionate about, or at least enjoy. I'm an Engineer, and I know I'm good at it and could very easily make a good, successful career out of it, however its just making me miserable.

I've always been passionate about music (unsurprising given my presence on a music forum) and would love a career in this industry, however too many of the jobs don't really have that guaranteed income, which is a must for me given I have a mortgage and a family.

So, has anyone here made a successful career in the music industry? Are there jobs out there that have that guaranteed salary/income and the traditional 9-5 Mon-Fri?
Quote by Monolith295
Tobysaurus is one sexy man.

Quote by Kensai
I think I love you Tobysaurus!

Quote by CFH82
God damn, you've given me a boner Toby!
There are jobs out there, but very very few that have a) guaranteed income and b) 9-5 schedule. I actually can't think of a single job in the music industry that fits those criteria, other than being someone who is right at the top of the ladder and as such can choose when they work. Freelancing, being in a band or being a session musician for example don't fit your criteria.

You will likely need to do something part time to begin with regardless of what it is. You aren't going to walk into a full-time job in the music industry without putting in the effort. 
I imagine there are. Horses enjoy music too.
Quote by Rebel Scum
god fuckin damn it

being some sort of academic with tenure?
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Quote by tobysaurus
As the title says, is there such a thing as a stable job in music?

I recently had a bit of an epiphany and realised that life is too short to be stuck in a job that you're not passionate about, or at least enjoy. I'm an Engineer, and I know I'm good at it and could very easily make a good, successful career out of it, however its just making me miserable.

I've always been passionate about music (unsurprising given my presence on a music forum) and would love a career in this industry, however too many of the jobs don't really have that guaranteed income, which is a must for me given I have a mortgage and a family.

So, has anyone here made a successful career in the music industry? Are there jobs out there that have that guaranteed salary/income and the traditional 9-5 Mon-Fri?

Become a software developer for Spotify.
If you're very skilled you can get a job mixing, producing, engineering tracks for people.

as a musician, i don't see it as a profit, just something i'm willing to do for free, because i'm passionate about it.

the music world is a dog-eat-dog kinda business. unless you're making music for the masses, and get scouted by recording studios for that, you need to build a fan base yourself, which is far from stable work until you "make it".
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

If you were any good at it (and being an engineer, you might just have a shot), you could probably get into the manufacturing side of things, probably with gear and the like
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
Quote by Rebel Scum

fucking beat me to it
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls