Hi everybody.

Maybe a weird question,

I was wondering what kind of mic I would want for recording people's voices in various locations like parks, coffee shops, and just general areas where there might be wind and excess noise. I need to conduct some interviews.

I'm planning to use my laptop, Abelton, and my Saffire 6 box. I just need to make sure I get the right kind of mics for those kinds of situations. One for me and one for the subject. Like a sit down radio interview type thing.

I have a CL8 Samson mic that my bud gave me to mess around with for recording, but I have no idea about mics and shit.

I should probs also say that I can't go for the $900 whatever mics. Cheaper is better obs.

So, what say you lads?

Question 2#: Less weird.

Speaking of recording, I want to be able to enter drums in real time instead of clicking and dragging crap. Could I use any old velocity sensitive midi keyboard for that purpose? Or is there a better option that I'm unaware of?

ty again
Last edited by Duaneclapdrix at Apr 2, 2017,
Lavalier mics are probably the best bet. I like Audio Technica and EV.

You might also want to look at some digital recorders, like some of the Zoom range recorders, they have built-in mics which you can use by handing it back and forth. Also some of these have external mic outputs so you can connect say 2 lavalier mics and won't have to lug a laptop. I'd personally go for a portable recorder like the H1 or one of the other ones. You could probably find last year's Zoom, Roland, etc. models at better prices used.
Zoom H1 is a complete hand held recorder that sounds very natural. $100 all in.  For outdoor interviews add a "dead kitten" to eliminate wind noise.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Apr 5, 2017,