By that I mean the one thing where you continuously do a legato lick with your fretting hand, and with the picking hand you slide it up and down the neck. Does that make any sense? I can't remember what song it's from.

Anyways, I've been trying to do that for a bit, and it sounds very quiet (maybe too much pressure?), and there are very few harmonics appearing (maybe too much pressure again?) I've tried pressing less hard with my picking hand, and it didn't really do anything. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.
Just a teenage girl who loves playing guitar way too much, if that's even possible.

I live for my girlfriend. <3
gogiregion
I think this was the first appearance of that technique, at 2:10

Well, volume/distortion should help them to come out, probably be quite forceful with your fretting hand and yes, as you say, only gently slide your picking hand along the string. Also exactly what position along the string your picking hand is will affect what harmonics you get so experiment with the position you slide it from / to.
Quote by NSpen1
gogiregion
I think this was the first appearance of that technique, at 2:10

Well, volume/distortion should help them to come out, probably be quite forceful with your fretting hand and yes, as you say, only gently slide your picking hand along the string. Also exactly what position along the string your picking hand is will affect what harmonics you get so experiment with the position you slide it from / to.

I mostly have done a 4p2p0 on the G string, because harmonics are easiest on the G string. It's a bit weird. Maybe I am doing it right, though, and its something weird like not enough compression. I am using hot single coils, which haven't really been a big problem with getting high gain sounds, but that might just be the solution here.
Just a teenage girl who loves playing guitar way too much, if that's even possible.

Try using a finger on your picking hand rather than sort of palm-muting it. I find that works a lot better.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Try using a finger on your picking hand rather than sort of palm-muting it. I find that works a lot better.

I di that, and it still doesn't work very well (though better). I might just need to buy a compressor.
gogiregion if you can get other hamonics to sound then it's almost certainly a technique issue.  I would actually look at your fretting hand for an answer as well; I know someone's already mentioned it but I'm going to emphasise the point: you need to have a strong fretting hand with quite energetic pull offs to make this work.  Everyone I've ever seen do this has had very good control over their legato dynamics and is, at least from what I can see, legato-ing pretty damn hard to make it work.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
gogiregion if you can get other hamonics to sound then it's almost certainly a technique issue.  I would actually look at your fretting hand for an answer as well; I know someone's already mentioned it but I'm going to emphasise the point: you need to have a strong fretting hand with quite energetic pull offs to make this work.  Everyone I've ever seen do this has had very good control over their legato dynamics and is, at least from what I can see, legato-ing pretty damn hard to make it work.

Yeah. I don't have very fast fingers and the ability to hit and pull off really strongly. That could be the problem.

Yeah. Compression might help... mids might help. But if your technique is good, within reason, they shouldn't really be stopping this from working, assuming you're using a fair amount of distortion.

What amp are you using?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Yeah. Compression might help... mids might help. But if your technique is good, within reason, they shouldn't really be stopping this from working, assuming you're using a fair amount of distortion.

What amp are you using?

Orange Micro Terror. I'm using a boost to get the high gain sound I need. It normally sounds fine, but I may just need a compressor for my single coips to get a bit more of a "metal" sound.

What are you using as a boost? If it's tubescreamerish you're likely getting enough compression.

The other thing is, you could do easier hammer-ons or pull-offs. Instead of 4-2-0, maybe try just trilling between the 5th and 7th fret, or even pulling off from the second fret to the open string. At worst that'll let you figure out whether the problem is your harmonic technique or the pulloffs.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
What are you using as a boost? If it's tubescreamerish you're likely getting enough compression.

The other thing is, you could do easier hammer-ons or pull-offs. Instead of 4-2-0, maybe try just trilling between the 5th and 7th fret, or even pulling off from the second fret to the open string. At worst that'll let you figure out whether the problem is your harmonic technique or the pulloffs.

It doesn't have as much compression as a real Tube Screamer (I actually was just about to ask a question on which one to get); it's a cheap Mexican overdrive pedal I got for $40. Since people have given me possible problems, I've tried doing just trills, and have way better luck. Where is probably the best place to do the trill? 5t7?

I'm not sure actually. I'd say in the lowest bit of the fretboard at least, 5-7 is probably a decent enough place in that it's low enough that the harmonics jump out nicely but the frets aren't too far apart either if you're having difficulty with the technique aspect.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Maybe guitar setup issues as well (string tension, action)?  I can do this with very little physical effort (I use the A string, usually repeating 5 - 3 - 0), and use the pad of my first finger of my fretting hand to very gently come in contact with the string, starting maybe a couple of inches away from the end of the neck (ie over the guitar body) and then moving towards the nut a little (over some of the highest frets) and back ... repeating the back and forward motion.  This also works just on an acoustic guitar, starting over the sound hole.

Bear in mind that harmonics work differently (their interactions) depending which string and where onh the string you use).
Quote by jerrykramskoy
Maybe guitar setup issues as well (string tension, action)?  I can do this with very little physical effort (I use the A string, usually repeating 5 - 3 - 0), and use the pad of my first finger of my fretting hand to very gently come in contact with the string, starting maybe a couple of inches away from the end of the neck (ie over the guitar body) and then moving towards the nut a little (over some of the highest frets) and back ... repeating the back and forward motion.  This also works just on an acoustic guitar, starting over the sound hole.

Bear in mind that harmonics work differently (their interactions) depending which string and where onh the string you use).

Maybe I'll try different strings and finger positions (like 5p3p0).

gogiregion 

just because nobody mentionned it and i thought it might affect things, are you on your bridge pickup? on the neck pickup if it's aligned with the 24th fret (as on many 22 fretters) natural/artificial harmonics don't ring as well as on the bridge pickup.

go with a ''half'' rule, you have a natural harmonic on your 12th fret which is half of your fretboard. then from your 22nd fret imagine another fretboard and place your hand approximately where you pull off.

say you pull off to the open string, start your hand muting at the 24th fret or where it would be, that'll give you a nice ringing harmonic. 

then figure out where the 29th fret would be (5th fret harmonic) and 7th fret harmonic. obviously considering the frets are closer the higher on the guitar you are, there's a forgiveable error margin.  rest and i do mean 'REST' like touching a feather, your hand on that general area and pull off happily

michael romeo of symphony x uses this technique as well, if i remember correctly if you look up ''the guitar chapter'' on youtube you may see him using instances of these harmonics.

tldr: bridge pickup, go with the physics, figure out a mini fretboard over your pickups and rest your picking hand over the area which matches the area you are playing.
Quote by sebediah
gogiregion 

just because nobody mentionned it and i thought it might affect things, are you on your bridge pickup? on the neck pickup if it's aligned with the 24th fret (as on many 22 fretters) natural/artificial harmonics don't ring as well as on the bridge pickup.

go with a ''half'' rule, you have a natural harmonic on your 12th fret which is half of your fretboard. then from your 22nd fret imagine another fretboard and place your hand approximately where you pull off.

say you pull off to the open string, start your hand muting at the 24th fret or where it would be, that'll give you a nice ringing harmonic. 

then figure out where the 29th fret would be (5th fret harmonic) and 7th fret harmonic. obviously considering the frets are closer the higher on the guitar you are, there's a forgiveable error margin.  rest and i do mean 'REST' like touching a feather, your hand on that general area and pull off happily

michael romeo of symphony x uses this technique as well, if i remember correctly if you look up ''the guitar chapter'' on youtube you may see him using instances of these harmonics.

tldr: bridge pickup, go with the physics, figure out a mini fretboard over your pickups and rest your picking hand over the area which matches the area you are playing.

I am using my bridge pickup for it. Occasionally I forget and use position 2 (bridge-middle).

Quote by sebediah
gogiregion 

It'll be harder at the neck pickup, but that harmonics thing is a myth- apart from anything else, if it were true, it'd only affect open strings since the node moves when you fret a note. they just don't ring as well because the tone is darker there.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
pinch harmonics and everything work well on the neck with practice, but the 5th fret harmonic and 7th iirc are just dead on the pickup when it's aligned on a 24th fret. it does only affect that particular harmonic so there's bound to be some physics involved. might be due to the scale of my guitar too it had a single coil at the 24th fret node and was 24 3/4 instead of 25.5. come to think of it i didn't bother trying that on my strat!

another tip i just thought of, pull off REAL hard, snap those strings, and move your palm around the bridge, you'll find the spot, and moving the hand around gives you different harmonics. work with the fat of your palm, if that's even a thing. 
^ Yeah that's a fair point, it may well affect a specific harmonic at a specific fret if the nodes etc. just all line up. I haven't really tried that one with the neck pickup, i tend to just use the bridge pickup for anything involving harmonics.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?