I realized about a month ago that I didn't actually have any six strings where I live right now...and all the six strings I actually own I didn't feel like changing tunings in or they had trems. So, I decided to buy another six string. Luckily this thing popped up used in hong kong. I was deciding between this and a multi scale kiesel vader...but with all the flak Kiesel has been getting I decided against the Kiesel. I also don't really like their necks at all.

So here's my new guitar yay.

a 2014 Six string Skervesen Raptor. Yay. Swamp ash body. Contoured maple top.

Dark ebony fretboard With figured binding. what.

That neck through five piece rose wood ebony maple neck.

The fam.

Wtb a guitar stand

Review!

I love Skervesens. All three of mine are fantastic. Best necks I've played in my entire life. Easily. By a large margin. Thin fast and comfortable.
This one of the lightest neckthroughs I've ever picked up. I was really afraid that I was going to be heavy but it's not lighter then the Mayones Regius I played a few weeks. The Mayones wins in body design but for the price I paid for this guitar it's fine.

This six has a radius contoured top that my 7 doesn't. It's little bit more comfortable to the point where I'd want to buy the radius top if I ever ordered a new custom from them. The matte finish on my seven looks a bit nicer but the satin glossy finish on the six is nicer to have your ow7n arm.

The bridge on the six is a schaller hannes which is a bridge so complicated that it could only be german. It just looks ridiculously over-engineered. It's fine. It's a bridge and it's comfortable.

Pickups are BKP Juggernauts. They sound good. Not my favorite guitar sound ever but they sound really good. Lots of clarity, fast bass response, mid crunch. I like these better then the nail bombs in my other 7. Probably tied with the aftermaths in my semi hollow. The semi hollow does have better bass response.

Great guitar. Such a nice neck. So light. Love it.

There's one more used Skervesen in hong kong....might buy it.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
It's OK, I suppose...if you like that kind of thing.

i do. .
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
...but with all the flak Kiesel has been getting I decided against the Kiesel. I also don't really like their necks at all.

What "flak?"

What Kiesels have you played (that you've not liked the necks on)? 
Kiesels are available in a number of neck options. 
I know that my older Carvins vary in neck thickness according to year; there really doesn't seem to be a "Carvin neck." 
And they've had, variously, 12" radius, 15" radius, 10-16" compound radius (or was it 12-16"?) and are currently 14" radius standard with 10, 12, 14 and 20" available. 
Quote by dspellman
What "flak?"

What Kiesels have you played (that you've not liked the necks on)? 
Kiesels are available in a number of neck options. 
I know that my older Carvins vary in neck thickness according to year; there really doesn't seem to be a "Carvin neck." 
And they've had, variously, 12" radius, 15" radius, 10-16" compound radius (or was it 12-16"?) and are currently 14" radius standard with 10, 12, 14 and 20" available. 

the necks and the vaders and the dc series are the same. I don't really have a problem with the radius. The back of the neck is too thick for me.

flak. there's the built a right handed guitar for a left handed guitarist saga and then blame the customer saga. The wrong trem route on the vader trem saga. aries bridge saddles into the sky saga. the older stuff isn't really effected but it's making the newer metal stuff really hard to resell right now.

Not that big of a deal if the guy had been willing to come down to 1250 for the vader but he wouldn't budge. 1600 was too high for me.

very nice looking guitar though...if it doesn't sell in one more month i still might just buy it.

Last edited by AcousticMirror at Apr 4, 2017,
dspellman

The "flak" is a recent rash of reports of bad customer service* and guitars being delivered to customers that don't match the orders. With pix.

* several posters even distinguishing between good & bad CustServ reps by name.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

That looks great man, HNGD! Reminds me of a Jackson Dinky on steroids. Those Schaller bridges look great too, and classy top you got there.
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
Quote by AcousticMirror

flak. there's the built a right handed guitar for a left handed guitarist saga and then blame the customer saga. The wrong trem route on the vader trem saga. aries bridge saddles into the sky saga. the older stuff isn't really effected but it's making the newer metal stuff really hard to resell right now.

There's the Option 50 color match done by Kiesel himself that wasn't even close- Stevie Wonder would have done better.

Congrats HNGD ROCK ON!
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Quote by dannyalcatraz
There's the Option 50 color match done by Kiesel himself that wasn't even close- Stevie Wonder would have done better.

That was the one that was supposed to match an Agile? Blue edges? It's gotten quite a bit of mileage. There's more to that story than what has been passed around on the forums.  I do know that the new guitars have forced extended wait times for completion, and I'd expect a mistake or two along the way.  I don't think anything at Carvin has matched the loss of their best painter some years ago. Now *that* was a trainwreck that took perhaps a year to clear. 

Carvins necks are not all the same, and you can get different sized necks.  I have them in hand. Trust me on that one, but I'll confirm when I get down there. 

I'm just now starting a small run here in SoCal, beginning with a visit to Norm's Rare Guitars. I've been in contact with Tom Anderson, and we may get to see his pieces showing up at Wild West in Pasadena. Wild West has been a great stop for top end guitars (pretty much nothing under $1000) when they were in Riverside, and they've always been a great dealer for Suhrs. Anderson does about 20% of the volume of a Suhr, and Suhr is a very small manufacturer in Lake Elsinore. If I can get in down there, I'd like to check out their stuff. Along the way, I want to drop by Trussart; I've always had my eye on a Steelphonic in "Rust and Cream Snakeskin." Unique guitar and an interesting (understatement) finish. 

Suhr is on the way, Buffalo Brothers is on the way, and Carvin and Taylor are tucked into the San Diego 'burbs (seems to me there's another down there as well). I've gotta hit Fretted Americana at some point; there are two older but untouched guitars I've had my eye on there.  And there's another custom-built Agile in the works.

I'm after replacing some of the quantity with some quality this go-round, and a Vader of some kind is on the list. The Skervesens look great, but we don't see them (or Mayones) here.
Quote by dspellman
That was the one that was supposed to match an Agile? Blue edges? It's gotten quite a bit of mileage. There's more to that story than what has been passed around on the forums.  I do know that the new guitars have forced extended wait times for completion, and I'd expect a mistake or two along the way.  I don't think anything at Carvin has matched the loss of their best painter some years ago. Now *that* was a trainwreck that took perhaps a year to clear. 

Carvins necks are not all the same, and you can get different sized necks.  I have them in hand. Trust me on that one, but I'll confirm when I get down there. 

I'm just now starting a small run here in SoCal, beginning with a visit to Norm's Rare Guitars. I've been in contact with Tom Anderson, and we may get to see his pieces showing up at Wild West in Pasadena. Wild West has been a great stop for top end guitars (pretty much nothing under $1000) when they were in Riverside, and they've always been a great dealer for Suhrs. Anderson does about 20% of the volume of a Suhr, and Suhr is a very small manufacturer in Lake Elsinore. If I can get in down there, I'd like to check out their stuff. Along the way, I want to drop by Trussart; I've always had my eye on a Steelphonic in "Rust and Cream Snakeskin." Unique guitar and an interesting (understatement) finish. 

Suhr is on the way, Buffalo Brothers is on the way, and Carvin and Taylor are tucked into the San Diego 'burbs (seems to me there's another down there as well). I've gotta hit Fretted Americana at some point; there are two older but untouched guitars I've had my eye on there.  And there's another custom-built Agile in the works.

I'm after replacing some of the quantity with some quality this go-round, and a Vader of some kind is on the list. The Skervesens look great, but we don't see them (or Mayones) here.

I was told the vader and the dc7x share the same neck and that they come regular and thinner. so i dunno. I personally don't have a problem with the neck but I definitely prefer the skervsen neck. Both of my dc7x's play fine but if there is some kind of terrible blow back issue I don't want to be caught holding the bag even if my personal guitar is great. You could have god's own BRJ or Strictly 7 but you're never getting rid of it.

Anderson isn't really my jam right now. They won't make the one guitar I actually want to buy. But you should check out some Angels. I heard they are very good. Tom is super nice too. It would be sweet to just hang out with him for a few minutes

Also

https://www.pitbullaudio.com/location

these guys are skervesen and mayones dealers.

If you are going to the Kiesel showroom anyway I'd definitely drive a little further south and check these guys out before heading back up. Call first though. They might not have any skervesens in stock but I think they definitely will have a few Mayos.

Last edited by AcousticMirror at Apr 4, 2017,
dspellman

That was the one that was supposed to match an Agile? Blue edges? It's gotten quite a bit of mileage. There's more to that story than what has been passed around on the forums. I do know that the new guitars have forced extended wait times for completion, and I'd expect a mistake or two along the way. I don't think anything at

Yeah. The variance between what the customer ordered and what he got was a chromatic chasm. That saga, plus how they've handled certain other complaints have moved Carvin out of my most respected makers category.

Quote by AcousticMirror

https://www.pitbullaudio.com/location

these guys are skervesen and mayones dealers.

If you are going to the Kiesel showroom anyway I'd definitely drive a little further south and check these guys out before heading back up. Call first though. They might not have any skervesens in stock but I think they definitely will have a few Mayos.

I'll put them on the list. Wait -- HOW much further south? These days you don't want to be South of the Wall. 
Quote by dspellman
I'll put them on the list. Wait -- HOW much further south? These days you don't want to be South of the Wall. 

Not much further. I don't think? National city. Maybe 30-40 minutes?

excellent, nice colour too
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I call it my juggernot

Looks nice! I like the headstock; gives a Parker Fly vibe.
HNGD!
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.

justinguitar.com is the answer
Green guitars are the best guitars.

Congrats man, looks splendid.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
dspellman
There's also a shop called music store live in national city that has a bunch of mayones skervesen suhrs and prs in stock

Nice stuff. Pretty baffled by how many Skervesens there are for sale where you are. :") 
Is that the original case though? Looks like it's way too long.
Quote by AcousticMirror
dspellman
There's also a shop called music store live in national city that has a bunch of mayones skervesen suhrs and prs in stock

Haven't made it down to Carvin/Kiesel yet, but I was talking to one of my sources there regarding neck depth. On the VM7 (fan fret 7 headless), the standard neck depth is about 20mm at the first fret and about 22.5mm at the 12th. As an option (not an Option 50), you can have them raise or lower the cutting head for the standard neck profile by about .75mm. That's pretty significant "in the hand," though it doesn't sound like much. About $60 to have that done. There are other options that I can't discuss in a public forum. I'd be curious if you can measure the ScurvySon in both locations and give me an idea what it might be, from the face of the fretboard to the back of the neck at each position. Obviously the contour is a different story, but I've got a contour gauge; I can lay that on the back of the neck (when I have a guitar in hand down at the factory store) and photograph the gauge on some 1/4" graph paper. 

FWIW, the guitar with the buckeye burl top and the ton of options depicted on the website would run about $2679 (the buckeye burl top is a $600 option), with case, less tax. Given LA's 10% tax rate, I'd have it shipped to a brother-in-law in Las Vegas (no tax). I can think of better things to do with $270. 

While I realize that $2700 is a lot of money given most of what this forum discusses on a daily basis, it's far from the biggest number I've been quoted. In 2009, when I asked Gibson about an Axcess Custom with a "really nice flame top" in a burst, I was quoted $1760 for the top alone in addition to a base of $4K for the guitar done as a Custom (as in the white binding, big headstock, split diamond, etc.). $5760 (street, not MSRP) for, in essence, a Floyd-Equipped Custom. When the Schon Sig guitars were made available, they were $6500 (street, not MSRP) for a $10K MSRP guitar.   In short, I could have had two of these for the price of a guitar that pretty much looked like every other LP. 
Last edited by dspellman at Apr 6, 2017,
How is it measured? Straight edge?
Jeez 2700 for a carvin the mayones hydra is only 3200

Quote by I K0nijn I
Nice stuff. Pretty baffled by how many Skervesens there are for sale where you are. :") 
Is that the original case though? Looks like it's way too long.

Yup that's the hiscox. It's just right for the body but the case is huge.

There aren't that many. I bought one in the states. There were 5 for sale in Hong Kong since December of last year. I bought 2. 2 sold before I got here and now there is one left. There are 2 used ones for sale on the mainland. One just sold for 2500. The mainland has a 30 percent tax in all import instruments. So it's not a great value to buy stuff here.

Last edited by AcousticMirror at Apr 6, 2017,
Quote by AcousticMirror
How is it measured? Straight edge?
Jeez 2700 for a carvin the mayones hydra is only 3200

How is WHAT measured? The neck depth? Digital calipers, in my case. 
$2700 is a LOT for a Carvin/Kiesel, but $600 of that is the buckeye burl top. The base guitar is around $1500, so that thing has $1200 worth of options slathered on. The photo depicts Jeff Kiesel's personal guitar which is interesting in that he's traditionally stated that Kiesel would never build a fan-fret guitar (until they did, of course). I think they build a special run of guitars like this. 
Quote by dspellman
How is WHAT measured? The neck depth? Digital calipers, in my case. 
$2700 is a LOT for a Carvin/Kiesel, but $600 of that is the buckeye burl top. The base guitar is around $1500, so that thing has $1200 worth of options slathered on. The photo depicts Jeff Kiesel's personal guitar which is interesting in that he's traditionally stated that Kiesel would never build a fan-fret guitar (until they did, of course). I think they build a special run of guitars like this. 

He does that stuff all the time. His cs reps told me repeatedly that they would never build a fanned fret tele or a seven string semi hollow.

Quote by AcousticMirror
He does that stuff all the time. His cs reps told me repeatedly that they would never build a fanned fret tele or a seven string semi hollow.

It's a family-run company, and some of the older members of the family have too-long memories and "in my experience" tales. For years I begged them to reproduce a 1991 guitar that I own that has a 22-fret 25.5" neck-through construction in a super strat. They produced that guitar *one year only* and were so burned by the fact that it was soundly rejected by their customers (who were used to 24-fret 24.75" necks) that they refused to even consider making another for over 20 years. They were also burned badly by Kahler back when and staunchly refuse to consider using Kahlers ever again. 

So part of the reason Jeff is in that position is that he *has* no ingrained memory of how things were done. 

He has plenty of pre-conceived notions about guitars, however, and those notions are being changed by external forces *other* than his family.  He's making mistakes as he goes, he's changing his mind about things and he's paying attention to some of the smaller manufacturers that he thinks are offering new and valuable ideas.  And he's screwing up a few customer service things along the way. Yin. Yang.

But it seems like every time I turn around, something new is showing up, and that's a whole lot more entertaining, and it's led to some interesting guitars that wouldn't have happened for another 20 years if it had been left to his dad. 
Last edited by dspellman at Apr 7, 2017,
Quote by AcousticMirror

That's what Agile is for. Kurt'll try anything if he thinks there's a profit in it and if the Koreans can cobble one up.