Hi guys,

First of all, I'm Dutch and my English is not that great... sorry  

So I recently traded my Fender American Standard Telecaster (2009) for a 2016 Gibson SG Standard HP with p90's. I didn't play on the tele anymore, and since I like P90's and the SG is worth more, I think that was a good deal. SG came with all the case candy, hardshell alluminum case, I replaced the Gforce tuners with Gibson Deluxe tuners and replaces the speed knobs for UFO knobs. 

I always loved Les Pauls, but the ''real'' Les Pauls are to expensive for me (around €2000). Yesterday, I saw this Gibson Les Paul Traditional (2012) mahogany satin ebony on our local ebay. The guitar is mint, has its original case and case candy. The guitar belongs to an old guy, who has a problem with hitting the high notes on the les paul, do trough the simple fact that his hands are to small. He just discovered the SG model, and he wants to sell the les paul or trade it for a SG. I started with a Tele, wich is worth around 650€ (used) in my country, traded it for the SG (wich is worth around 900€ used), and now have the abbility to trade it for that les paul (worth around €1200 used). 

When you look at the value of the guitars, it's a no brainer I guess. Problem is, my local music shop does not have a Traditional les paul in stock (only standards and custom shop's), so i can't try one to see if i like it. I do like the SG, but it is not ''the'' guitar for me. What would you guys do if you were in my situation? No brainer? Keep the SG? Anyone played a mahogany satin traditional? How different is it from a les paul standard? Please talk some sence into me!

Thank you, greetings from The Netherlands!
I guess it depends on which one you prefer. I love the feel of the satin LPs and SGs but that is just me. Being worth more is a plus, even if it isn't your cup of tea you are still up in value. I'd go for it.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Well the biggest difference is obviously gonna be the top woods and finish as a more regular LP won't have a satin finish and would come with a maple top instead of the mahogany top that comes with the 2012 Traditional you're looking at. The pickups are also different compared to newer ones since IIRC the 2012 trads mahogany came with '57 classics.

Compared to your SG it will probably be a heavier guitar in weight and will obviously sound a bit different considering you have single coil p90s in your SG and humbuckers in the LP. As for what you'd prefer, are you able to try it? That would be the best thing. Otherwise, they come with a pretty standard slim taper neck most of the time and that might be comparable to your SG if it also has a slim taper neck.

It's not really a cut and dry answer but if you feel like the SG isn't really 'the' guitar for you and you want to trade for the LP it isn't a bad trade. Just make sure you're happy with it.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Thanks for the response! Here's the thing, the guy who owns the les paul is willing to drive quite the distance to make this trade happen. So yes, I can play the guitar before I trade it, but he is not gonna make the long trip if i'm doubting to much (if that's correct english), wich I completely understand. So I kinda have to be 90% sure about the trade before I'm able to play it. Right now, I'm considering al my options, opinions, doing research etc., so I'm wondering what you guys would say about this trade on first thought. Imagine it was you
Last edited by Sshaky89 at Apr 4, 2017,
Well with all due respect, I'm not you so my reasons for buying it wouldn't be the same as yours and as such, I don't feel comfortable telling you what I would do and have you base your decision on this. That being said, you said it yourself. You want a 'real' Les Paul, you aren't that into the SG and this trade popped up for you. Research can only take you so far until you actually have the guitar in hand and guitars are very personal. One man's "you have to buy it" is another man's "that's crappier than my last guitar"

IMO, if you went with the trade, even if you don't like the LP it would probably be easier to sell compared to a P-90 SG. So if you were to talk strictly from a sense of value, it's not a bad trade and I would do it if I wanted an LP. But I also wouldn't buy a used guitar without being able to try it as well so that's the caveat.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Honestly I can't believe the guy is willing to do a lot of the traveling and trade for an SG HP and let go of the Traditional in an even trade. Seems like he is losing out on the deal, makes me wonder why? Then again he might just be really after an SG. To each his own. Honestly I would do it and at the end of the day you have a guitar that is worth more.  All of this is based on the idea that you don't like the SG. I know my DC standard is worth more to me than its actual value.
Line 6 M13
The BIGGEST difference isn't going to be a satin finish or the top woods. It's going to be the weight, shape and playability of the two. 

I'm a fan of LPs, but that doesn't mean I love everything about them. Upper fret access isn't great (because they connect with the body of the guitar at the 16th fret and that body is thick and puts a body *point* into the palm of your hand when you move up the neck) or comfortable, and the point on the lower bout forces your hand to rotate to get to the upper frets anyway, particularly if you have hands as large as mine. And they tend to be heavy and they often have too-thick necks for my taste. The LP-style guitars I have that are easiest to play are another brand entirely, have flatter radius fretboards, jumbo frets, more space within the cutaway and modified neck heels that are smoother and more comfortable. Since LPs also have headstock issues that require carefully manicured nuts in order to stay in tune during bends, most of my current LP-alikes have Floyds (heresy!!!). Some also have 24-fret necks, but nearly all are heavy. 

SGs push your fretting hand off to the left further than an LP or Strat will, and I don't care for that. They're lighter than an LP, but this comes at the price of being neck-heavy, and while the fretboard connects to the body almost imperceptibly at the 19th fret or so (20th?), those recurved "horns" are too close to the fretboard to allow really good upper fret access to large hands. SGs have already moved the neck pickup closer to the bridge pickup, so it's not difficult to build them with a 24-fret board (some are). I personally don't care for where my hands need to go when I'm standing with an SG in a strap, and it's a rare SG from any manufacturer that will allow you to run a Floyd. They have the same issues with tuning as an LP, thanks to the headstocks. If you sit a lot, some of these issues are masked, but not all. I don't own any SGs and don't plan to. A better guitar for playability with the same body thickness as the SG is/was the L6S, which has always had 24 very accessible frets, a wide cutaway, the same thickness body as the SG and no neck-heavy characteristics (and it keeps the fretboard in the same general location as an LP. The only issue has been in the looks of the L6S, which resembles nothing so much as a flattened, road-killed LP. 

Instead of the SG, I've mostly gone with superstrats, which have far better placement in a strap, better access to upper frets, more comfortable playing characteristics (especially those guitars with smooth neck-body transitions and 24 frets clear of the cutaway). 

There's something different about the tone of an LP, however, and that's due to the weight, density and small size of the mahogany body. Most make the distinction that the LP is "darker," but I think that's largely due to a reticence of players to use the upper frets when they're uncomfortable to get to. It's a different story when you have a smoother neck heel and 24 frets free to work with. 
bobafettacheese 
Quote by bobafettacheese
Honestly I can't believe the guy is willing to do a lot of the traveling and trade for an SG HP and let go of the Traditional in an even trade. Seems like he is losing out on the deal, makes me wonder why? Then again he might just be really after an SG. To each his own. Honestly I would do it and at the end of the day you have a guitar that is worth more.  All of this is based on the idea that you don't like the SG. I know my DC standard is worth more to me than its actual value.

I could not believe that either, almost sounds to good to be true. However, he just called me and it's a nice guy. He is 71 years old and collects/sells guitars so he can plan every kind of guitar he likes. He's retired and has a lot of free time, so he doesn't mind the long drive. He knows the les paul may be worth a little more, but he rather makes this trade and be done with it. We came to the agreement that if one person isn't totally convinced about the SG/LP, the deal's off, no hard feelings. He suggested that, so that's awesome, problem solved. Gonna try the LP/SG tomorrow with a cup of coffee, hopefully I like it! 
Quote by Sshaky89
bobafettacheese 

I could not believe that either, almost sounds to good to be true. However, he just called me and it's a nice guy. He is 71 years old and collects/sells guitars so he can plan every kind of guitar he likes. He's retired and has a lot of free time, so he doesn't mind the long drive. He knows the les paul may be worth a little more, but he rather makes this trade and be done with it. We came to the agreement that if one person isn't totally convinced about the SG/LP, the deal's off, no hard feelings. He suggested that, so that's awesome, problem solved. Gonna try the LP/SG tomorrow with a cup of coffee, hopefully I like it! 

Thats awesome man. Good luck and hopefully it works out
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Thats awesome man. Good luck and hopefully it works out

Guess what.. I'm a Les Paul owner!  Plays really well, sounds great! Absolutely no regrets
Quote by Sshaky89
Guess what.. I'm a Les Paul owner!  Plays really well, sounds great! Absolutely no regrets

Thats awesome to hear man! Gratz on your sweet purchase
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Prove it! We need pics!!! 
Line 6 M13
Quote by Sshaky89

hell yeah! gratz
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
oh we also need pics.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
There you go! Isn't she hot  
Last edited by Sshaky89 at Apr 6, 2017,
Quote by bobafettacheese
Prove it! We need pics!!! 

Pics are shown above! Im only gonna change the knobs for those 'vintage' yellow things, or maybe just black ones, dont know yet
Last edited by Sshaky89 at Apr 6, 2017,
Well done! That is a fine looking LP.
Line 6 M13
damn she is beautiful.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by Sshaky89
Pics are shown above! Im only gonna change the knobs for those 'vintage' yellow things, or maybe just black ones, dont know yet

No man don't, the knobs there are so slick...

In any case, nice looking guitar, a black LP is mighty fine.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Reflectors are cool. Dont swap them for boring top hats.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
^agreed. Those knobs look nice the way they are
Line 6 M13