Hi all,

So I'm gonna do something weird to my PRS SE EG, which is an SSS configuration strat style guitar with a 5 way blade switch, master volume and master tone. Don't try to talk me out of this one, it's happening

I'm replacing the bridge pickup with a lil 59 (considered JB jr but I think that'll be too hot to suit the other sounds of the guitar). That's step one.. The easy bit...

I want to end up with a 3 way blade switch instead of the 5 way, of which the three available sounds will be:
1. Bridge only
2. Middle + Neck
3. Neck only

I only ever use bridge+middle to try and make it sound like a humbucker, so no longer necessary, and I never use the middle only so I won't miss it.

However.. How the hell do I wire that up? I can't find a diagram for that, so if anyone wiser than myself could help, I'd really appreciate it!!

Thanks xD
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom
Yamaha SF1000 (Both of 'em)

Laney L20H Lionheart
Marshall 1936 w/ Eminence

Rather large pedalboard..
what wires do your curent pickups (neck and midle) have? 2 of them ? the duncan junior has 5 ? (remind me)
what switch super swich , tele style 3 way, toggle?
kristbubnjar Neck and middle are just two conductor wires, humbucker will be four. However for the purposes of this diagram, treat it as a two conductor. Switch will be a blade switch like on a strat, but with 3 positions rather than 5, so similar to a tele yes
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom

Laney L20H Lionheart

I don't think this is possible with a regular 3 way Strat switch. You might look at a 5 way super switch to do it. 
If you'd prefer series instead of parallel, you can omit the second gang jumpers and connect the middle ground to the #3 (neck) lug.

runriot_z28

Thanks for that! So if the switch I'm using has 8 contacts (as you've drawn in that diagram) but in a row, numbered 1 - 8, how does that correspond to your drawing? Sorry, and thank you! Link below is for the switch schematic.

(http://www.axetec.co.uk/axetec_media/sw002-switching-1000.gif)
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom

Laney L20H Lionheart

It looks like 4 & 5 are the commons for each gang, and 6-7-8 corresponds to 1-2-3.
runriot_z28

So I should wire the neck pickups to contacts 1 & 7, the middle to 2, and the bridge to 3, then use 4 & 5 out to the volume pot?

Sorry if I'm being annoying, just need clarification as a noob.. :P
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom

Laney L20H Lionheart

That's the opposite of what I drew.  If you wire it in reverse, you may need to turn the switch 180 degrees assuming there's room (with a Strat switch there isn't, with the switch you show there might be).  Put the switch in the guitar first and put the lever in the bridge position.  If it matches the picture you sent, bridge is 1, middle is 2, neck is 3.
Quote by runriot_z28
That's the opposite of what I drew.  If you wire it in reverse, you may need to turn the switch 180 degrees assuming there's room (with a Strat switch there isn't, with the switch you show there might be).  Put the switch in the guitar first and put the lever in the bridge position.  If it matches the picture you sent, bridge is 1, middle is 2, neck is 3.

My bad, I only recently heard the positions being numbered and the idea of bridge being 1 is odd to me as I always default to the neck when playing clean, which is most of the time.. I'm not a fan of blade switches so have rarely used them, yet alone wired them, so this is a new one for me! Thanks!
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom

Laney L20H Lionheart

Last edited by makutoid at Apr 16, 2017,