I just finished looking through the May issue of Guitar Player magazine and I found something I thought was pretty interesting and enlightning at the same time. In said magazine they did a review of 6 guitars. What made it interesting is all 6 were by the same company, Fender, and from the same series, Professional Series. You would think they would all be very similar especially with regards to construction quality. However on reading all 6 I found it interesting that about half of the reviews were complaining about poorly finished frets and the other half said the frets were great. What that tells me is that even with a major manufacturer of guitars and in one of their higher end lines, there is still a lot of variation in quality from one to another. I don't know if I'd call that a lack of quality control but it certainly shows that a not-so-good guitar can easily make it on to the showroom floor from even a top brand. Makes me a little, maybe more than a little, more worried about ordering a guitar off the internet without being able to actually examine it closely with my own hands and eyes. 
This is something that is obvious to those of us lucky enough to live near a bunch of great guitar shops. It's easy to forget to mention, but I feel like it does come up frequently, especially about certain brands (Gibson).

Try then Buy is always the recommended scenario, all other things being equal. If trying isn't an option or a priority, you have to rely on this type of article to drive the point home. Obviously some scenarios mean it's impossible to audition an instrument, but it's neat to see an article that highlights just how valuable it can be.
^ Yeah, that's the big problem. Not everyone who buys online isn't aware that guitars can vary, it can be that they have no option to try locally (or maybe the local shops suck).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
don't put much weight in guitar magazines. they are all about the money, and biased.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Which ones were they biased about, the ones they said had sharp fret ends or the ones they said were fine?
Quote by Arrawin
Which ones were they biased about, the ones they said had sharp fret ends or the ones they said were fine?

I didn't bother to read it. bad press on a company that pays lots for ads is bad business.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
bad press on a company that pays lots for ads is bad business.

This is exactly why I try to use as many sources as I can for reviews, magazines (online), blogs, forums MF and GC etc. and try to decifer who is, on a professional level, not trying to piss off companies that advertise and who, on an amateur/consumer level, is being objective and not just a fanboy or newbie that don't know their ass from a hole in the ground.

I can usually spot a genuine user review because it will list both pros and cons vs. fanboy or noobs that only praise the instrument.

I also am lucky to have several sources available to try before I buy and have only purchased one guitar online.

Price point is a big factor as well any guitar in the $700 plus range IMO should not have sharp frets but unfortunately it is not always the case I've been told (by professionals in magazines) that the import guitars have sharp frets because of the fluctuation in temps etc. during transport causing the neck wood to shrink but it does not seem to be the case for MIJ guitars like the ESP/EII, Ibanez Prestige or older MIJ Jackson Pros.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Apr 5, 2017,