I have a PRS with a floyd rose and the locking nut and was wondering if locking tuners would even make a difference? I considered buying a set but wondered if that would even help at all.
Not really. As long as you properly lock the nut, you can even detune the tuners and it will still stay in tune. 
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Yeah. It'll just make string changes faster. And better, if your string-changing technique (like mine) sucks.

EDIT: Though you could argue that that's all they do on non-Floyd guitars, too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
fuck locking tuners. there is a lot of fairy dust there. the only thing that they really do is save you two minutes on restringing your guitar.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
fuck locking tuners. there is a lot of fairy dust there. the only thing that they really do is save you two minutes on restringing your guitar.

Two minutes is two minutes! After installing a set of Gotoh locking machine heads into my Ibby RGA121, I'm very tempted to do the same to the rest of my Prestiges (and EVH wolf, EBMM Axis too?). At under $70US for a set, why not?
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by DarthV
Two minutes is two minutes! After installing a set of Gotoh locking machine heads into my Ibby RGA121, I'm very tempted to do the same to the rest of my Prestiges (and EVH wolf, EBMM Axis too?). At under $70US for a set, why not?

if two minutes is that important to you, go for it. I have had failure issues with some over the years that have turned me away.

I will be buying non lockers for my Showmaster that has them.

opinion is opinion. FWIW if you want my opinion, i wrote some stuff about it in my blog months ago.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
if two minutes is that important to you, go for it. I have had failure issues with some over the years that have turned me away.

I will be buying non lockers for my Showmaster that has them.

opinion is opinion. FWIW if you want my opinion, i wrote some stuff about it in my blog months ago.

Won't ask how many other quality of life things you use, that's exactly what these are. Sucks that you had an issue with the Charvel. I have sperzel (ESP eclipse), hipshot (replaced the almost 20 year old mangled stock tuners on my PV wolfgang), Schaller (EBMM JP6) and the Gotohs on my RGA121. All of those locking machine heads have worked flawlessly.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
None of my guitars have locking tuners, I've never tried them but I seem to get along fine without them. Most of my guitars have locking nuts FWIW.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

a locking nut is important for a floyd rose trem but locking tuners make no difference at all.  They are for faster restringing not for staying in tune.
Not taking any online orders.
Schaller locking tuners (on Fender stratocaster), Gotoh vintage style (Squier VN serial stratocaster) Grover rotomatic 18:1 (non locking on most Washburn electric and acoustic), Planetwave auto-trim locking tuners (ok quality on Peavey AT200 and Ibanez guitar).. I prefer Schaller (they are a tad heavier /durable).

To answer your question.. NO, locking tuners are not required on double locking tremolo system like Floyd Rose.. but if you prefer to have locking tuners.. who can tell you what to do to your guitar.. it's your guitar, right? If it makes you happy.. DO IT..
I have Washburn guitars 'Maverick Series' and bass 'Bantam Series' and a few pedals and amps, but man I wish to have more patience and drive practicing my playing, if it's equal to the modding itch, then I'm golden.
Last edited by psp742 at Apr 5, 2017,
Locking tuners are helpful on trem guitars with traditional nuts, but pointless for locking nut guitars. You could argue that it saves a little time when stringing, but then again the locking bridge element means you can salvage a broken string without a spare by unwinding some of the string and restringing it to the guitar, which is pretty handy in of itself, and if you're chopping the strings short to benefit from faster stringing via locking tuners then you can't do this.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
                Do you need lock tuners on a floyd rose guitar?    

no.
Just string install the strings with the ball end at the tuner. It saves more time than locking tuners.
I have locking tuners on my carvin but have never screwed them in all the way. They are utterly pointless and the guitar stays in tune awesome having never screwed them in the lock position.