Poll: Do you agree with the quote
Poll Options
View poll results: Do you agree with the quote
Yes - being a lover not a hater is cool
16 35%
No - hating things with others is cooler than loving things with others
7 15%
Sometimes - hating and loving are both important to balance for maximum coolness
23 50%
Voters: 46.
Page 1 of 2
Do you agree or disagree with this quote:

“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Harboring hate is bad and benefits nobody in the long run.
Quote by snipelfritz
You lost me at "Lubricate."

I'm raw, like nature. Nature boy. Big jungle leaves are my cum rags.

Sometimes I fuck a bamboo shoot.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
What's even worse is when people surreptitiously like things. Like, no one can just like a movie anymore. Everyone has to preface their positive opinion by saying it's flawed or something, but that they enjoyed it. I think they think it makes them sound smarter or more critical, but it doesn't showcase your critical thinking skills when you use the same meaningless qualifying phrases for everything. It's okay just to like things sometimes.
Hate is a strong word. If you hate something then it must be really god awful. Mostly, I'd rather not talk about things I hate, because that just makes me a "hater" if I'm vocalising my point and making a big deal out of it. But I don't fully agree with that quote. Not everything i like or dislike is black or white, there is a positive and a negative criticism for most things, even things we tell others we "love"
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

I find that people are most engaging when they're talking about things they like.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
that show or whatever it is looks kind of unbearable, but there's a reasonable point there - of course the pretty girl next door would rather hear about happy things you like instead of the shit you hate.
Gots to do both.

As for 'kids these days', maybe yanks are just trying to come to terms with the fact that constantly putting on a fake smile and being overly enthusiastic about everything only leads to a very high anti-depressives bill.

Slovenes on the other hand like to cynically complain about shit that isn't under their direct control while obsessively hiding the serious problems in their own personal lives. This leads to constantly ranking top 10 on the list of countries by yearly suicides per capita.

In short, emotions are hard.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
ya

and i'm so grateful
to be nowhere

Hating or loving things on their own isn't cool, it's when you share the love or hate with someone else. I tell people I love Dark Souls but it doesn't make me feel any way unless they respond that they do, too. Same goes for when I tell people I really can't stand pepperoni.

People always want to bond over things, and unfortunately it's human nature to more easily come up with negative responses than positive.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Quote by UltimateGuizar
OMG can we get a hate button?

UltimateGuizar hates this

btw I fucking hate this

eGraham hates this
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Hating something doesn't really make me feel better in any way, so i try not to
I'd go as far to say that it inspires me when people seem to always be positive, focusing on the things they love.

obviously it's part of life to have bad shit happen or to not like things, and i dont think they should be avoided in conversation. but being positive is a very attractive trait and even as a neurotic person i try to avoid displaying my dislike for other people/things.
It's easy to find people who dislike a lot of the same things you do than find people who like stuff you're really into. Unless you're bland af.
How are we defining 'cool' here. I have assumed it's more the 'Yeah, it's ok, that's cool' kinda cool (A) and not the 'ehhhh, it's the Fonz' kinda cool (B).

If the former then yeah, hating things is fine. I mean, it's probably unavoidable. Like, getting poked in the eye on purpose - it's cool to hate getting poked in the eye surely. Or, getting punched in the face by a kid 4 years older than you with a paint spray can on the bus ride home from school - I still hate that guy, and I think that's fine.

If you mean, hating things just to fit in and people potentially liking you more, I wouldn't consider that either (A) or (B) to apply. If I decided to hate, I dunno, erm, bread, for example, in the hope that others join me on my bread hating mission then I'd probably be considering a c^nt by most rationale people.

But who are we to judge - hate whatever you like, love whatever you want, and look at the world with marginal disgust if that suits you (it suits me). 
Quote by Jackintehbox
What's even worse is when people surreptitiously like things. Like, no one can just like a movie anymore. Everyone has to preface their positive opinion by saying it's flawed or something, but that they enjoyed it. I think they think it makes them sound smarter or more critical, but it doesn't showcase your critical thinking skills when you use the same meaningless qualifying phrases for everything. It's okay just to like things sometimes.

Yeah, the sort of "ironically liking" stuff.

Maybe it's just that I genuinely like a lot of stuff that's cheesy

Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Both are kinda awful. Attaching yourself to either is weird.

Yeah. Some stuff sucks. Pretending you like it, or keeping quiet about the fact that you don't, can do a lot of harm.

But some stuff is great. Pretending you hate it to be cool can also do a lot of harm.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
love everything at heart/in principle but it's okay to be critical as long as you don't wallow in it and fake how much you loath something for the attention/edge/cool factor/etc

you sometimes need some hate flowing around to get negative things changed, or even positive things improved.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Quote by Dave_Mc

Yeah. Some stuff sucks. Pretending you like it, or keeping quiet about the fact that you don't, can do a lot of harm.

But some stuff is great. Pretending you hate it to be cool can also do a lot of harm.

It's not even about what it is your singing the praises of to me. Way I see it, there's this overlapping internet culture where you build a persona out of the stuff you like.

I say this often but it bears repeating: fandom culture is one of the worst things to come out of this world. It looks at everything in terms of positive-/negative-sounding adjectives, everything's about relevance to you, and the things you like compose your being.

This is marginally the fault of services. Targeted content, ease of access, and so on.

Just as an example, I love Scorsese & his work to bits. But if I see one more thinkpiece or tweet or some shit about him I might actually find myself fatigued of him. Everything has to be digested to its smallest unit, and we constantly have to be appeased. You gotta gorge on and demand more of the stuff you like, which imo is a dysfunctional model of engaging cultural objects when its creators go along.

I understand the demands of online content businesses though and there ain't nothing wrong with it. I blame audience complicity instead. It's no longer a case of consumption or indulgence, it's a case of worshipping consumption and indulgence under the guise of "art" or whatever.

Cuz it wasn't okay to enjoy pulpy or low brow works, now it's gotta be all pulp.
Last edited by ali.guitarkid7 at Apr 5, 2017,
Hate on whatever you want
Just don't hate on other people for getting enjoyment out of it
Beyond that I don't give a shit, it's an opinion lol
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
People talk about hate as if it is evil, as if it is the opposite of love. That is wrong. Hate is not the opposite of love, indifference is. The worst thing you can do to another person isn't hating them. If you hate them, at least you are thinking about them. Totally ignoring them as if they didn't even exist is the worst thing you can do. 

And, there are things in the world that are truly evil. It is a good and proper response to hate things that are truly evil. It is not a positive thing to embrace evil. It is not a positive thing to ignore evil, especially active, aggressive evil. It is good to oppose evil, to oppose people who engage in evil actions. If that means one is hating evil, so be it. Evil should be hated. 

At the same time, care must be taken to ensure that if one hates evil, one is accurate in identifying it. One of the most evil things that can be done is for an evil group to make false accusations against another group, calling them "evil" when that accusation is a lie. One of the most evil, hateful things I've witnessed is large groups of people falsely accusing others of being racist, sexist, or any of the other currently popular accusations. Such lies are among the lowest of evil deeds. 
I think you should be honest about things you love and hate, while also being aware that not everyone will agree. Also I think it's good if you can articulate what exactly you enjoy about your favourite/least favourite things. It's very easy to say "this sucks" but few people bother to explain why and how it can be improved.
The more people throw around the words "love" and "hate" when they only mean "like" and "dislike", the the less the words "love" and "hate" have any meaning at all. There are a lot of things in the world that I dislike that I've been accused of hating. About the only thing I really, really hate is being called a "hater" because I simply dislike something. That sucks. 
I prefer schadenfreude

"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Quote by sashki
"Hater" is a word people use to dismiss criticism. It serves no purpose other than to end the conversation.

amen

if you don't hate anything you have no passion and yer boring af
Check out my band Disturbed
TBH, I really don't give one flying crap weather I hate something is "cool" or not.  I just hate things because I don't like them and they are being pushed upon me by some kind of outside influence that I don't like or don't want to deal with or have no control over and I've had enough of it. 

Some examples include the I-405 HOV Tolls, the death of the small pickup, pickups offered only in supercab or bigger combinations, no more 2 door SUV's, house prices, and so on.  Either way, I don't voice my opinion unless it's going to be constructive to my situation though.

Other things where it's a matter of opinion, I prefer not to say I hate them blanketly.  I always get bit in the ass by a fine example of said subject - for example, guitars.  I used to HATE Les Pauls, both because a lot of the owners were snobby thinking it's the only "proper" guitar, and because I find them a bit uncomfortable and the upper fret access to be totally shit, and I don't like that I can't change the neck angle or take the neck off to refret it.  Then I got a bolt-on neck LP style guitar from the dumpster, rehabbed it, and it's become one of my favorite Gibson style guitars I've ever owned....granted, it's a mere Epi Special II, but it's still technically a Les Paul, it sounds like one, looks sort of like one, and could be easily converted to be a full blown one if I wanted to put the effort fourth.  Being totally black/white with hatred on such things is stupid because it'll make you into a hypocrite one day.  Better just to keep options on those sorts of things open.
My Current Mains
- 1996 Fender Jag-Stang with EMG Pickups
- 1998 Fender Jaguar with Cool Rails
- 1982 Hondo Paul Dean II (DiMarzio Super II X2)
- 2010 "Fender" Jazzmaster (Home built)
- 2013 Squier VM Bass VI (stock)
As long as the hate isn't the only way you can engage with so,ething, e.g like a nerd that can only criticize a movie or pre hates a film

It's fine.

Me and my buds like criticizing movies we love like Star Wars because plot holes are funny, and in a way it's reassuring to me. Something as well loved as Star Wars can have all this shit wrong with it. It helps you learn you don't need to be perfect and maybe you can create something as well.
Quote by StewieSwan
amen

if you don't hate anything you have no passion and yer boring af
the buddha isn't boring, Stewie
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
It is not "cool" to hate at all, hate is generally a waste, though I believe it did have (still has) evolutionary benefits.

Were we supposed to take this thread seriously>?
Quote by JamSessionFreak

As for 'kids these days', maybe yanks are just trying to come to terms with the fact that constantly putting on a fake smile and being overly enthusiastic about everything only leads to a very high anti-depressives bill.

this is always weird to hear since the northeast pretty much does the opposite 
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Last edited by WCPhils at Apr 5, 2017,
Quote by WCPhils
this is always weird to hear since the northeast pretty much does the opposite 
I think that's a stereotype from '50s pop culture that foreigners have of the US. People all over North America seem genuinely more positive in their outlook than Europeans in my limited experience though.

As long as you don't hate everything I guess. It's kind of boring to just hear about how people dislike things all the time but it's also the quickest way to connect with people you don't know cuz most people dislike the same things more than they love specific things. Like, who doesn't hate waiting in line? But how often do you find someone who loves the same weird card game or whatever it is you do for a hobby?

"Every day I wonder how many things I am dead wrong about."
Quote by Mad-Mike_J83
the death of the small pickup, pickups offered only in supercab or bigger combinations

I'm with you on this one I want a full size pickup with a full length bed not an extended cab or 4 door they are typically the same length with the extra cab space taking up the bed area. 4 door pickups are crew cabs and used to be used mainly by contracters or construction foremen, now they are bought by men whose wives wouldn't let them buy a 2 door full bed truck because there is no room for the kids, that's what the car is for!
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

It's especially cool to hate everything if it's through the internet, if the comment sections of news articles I read are an indicator of such
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
Page 1 of 2