Firstly, every question the forum users here have replied to me on has been great information and fantastically helpful. I am indeed THE tool! I'm completely lost in a pool of information overload and am trying to drown my way out of it right now.

I guess I should start with the usual....if you are asking for help let us know the following....:

1. I'm in the Philippines...getting anything sucks.
2. My budget is relatively small (SWMBO says so) so think the lower to mid range of getting me set up
3. Usual music styles - RHCP, Iron Maiden, DragonForce, Aerosmith and just getting into some Joy Division and New Order (went and watched 24 Hour Party People again didn't I )  Basically, some Rock, a little bit of hard rock, a tiny bit of metal
4. Current equip - few geeTARs, Zoom G2.1u, Peavey Rage 158 (from about 15 years ago that is somewhat snap, crackle and pop these days) and Amplitube 4 demo but I'm about to give up on that one.
5. Mainly recording purposes and bedroom levels, may move into small gigs when I get some confidence and a set I can play through

So, versatility is quite key. USB recording is required. Volume levels that won't blow my daughters ears out would be great. Want quite a few pedals to do a few bits but would be happy with the Zoom G2.1u still and some accompaniments. Effects loop would be nice.....

I have really enjoyed using amplitube 4 BUT I am so pissed off not being able to get a midi foot controller for it and because of my location prices are stupidly high (limited used market) - a Behringer FCB1010 runs at 270USD here, add onto that a MIDI/USB adaptor and UNO chip then the set up hassle of it all and I get something that is probably ok for home recording but not for small gigs, etc.

So, where do I go now, what do I do.....

Probably looking at a modelling amp or a small combo (but feel like I should be upgrading from the Rage158) so 15 watts is more than enough but I should probably be getting more.

Marshall stuff is stupidly expensive here - a DSL15C - 900USD and I have to put it on a plane to get it down to me.

Pedals that I probably want.....

Chorus
Boost (Mooer PureBoost??)
Fuzz
Looper (Mooer MicroLooper)
Tuner (G2.1u)
Phase 90 maybe

adding on later an envelope filter and wah (G2.1u pedal will do that wah for now, I'm not much of a wah'er but I'm trying).

I can get plenty of mooer pedals here that can keep some costs down a bit whilst I build up a board.

Amps that seem to be available to me....

MicroTerror head (don't like the 8'' speaker though so would need a cab)
Mojo Diamond (very small speaker)
Marshall MG50cfx -  MG101cfx - MG30cfx
Laney - LV300T
Marshall CODE25
VHT Special 6
NUX Frontline 30
NUX Might 50x

What the f-duct should I do to get myself set up - just at a complete loss now and will probably make some terrible purchasing decisions if I just bite the bullet on something now. Should I use a cheap BM800 and mic a new amp?

Edit to add: Zoom G5/G5n with the Zoom G2.1u in front or behind???

Hope someone can chime in - and remember, a sensible budget that SWMBO will tolerate. Right now my head is screwed with this mess....

Thanks everyone - from a lost guitarist in the tropics
Last edited by hydreliox at Apr 5, 2017,
Quote by guitarsngear
you state a small budget but don't actually tell us what it is - we need a number.

Absolutely.

SWMBO's perception of budget might be radically different from that of people who are very involved in the gear market.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Sorry all - you are right, I didn't really set a budget. To be honest because I'm really not sure where I should be putting the cash anymore. I could probably throw $1000 bucks at the lot if I kept quiet, but I'd prefer to keep it less. Amp and pedals. Extras not included and guitars not needed.

Will probably go and have a look at a Zoom G5 today, it's got some discount on it and could fill up a nice pedal board for me.

Really the 'amps that are available to me' are my only options anyway, didn't even consider a budget - it's just all that is available!
Which tropical island? I ask so we can gauge if you'd be hit by import taxes if we found you something from Reverb or the like, and if so, how much.

Because in the continental USA, assembling a decent rig for $1k is relatively easy. Looking at AK,, HI, and American territories & protectorates, it gets tougher. Outside the USA, tougher still.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Out in the Philippines

90% import duty here. A guy we have staying at our resort has just sent a camera lens here - don't know how much he paid for the item originally but they stung him for $300 to get it released from customs....Unfortunately not prepared to take the risk on it

Which then leads me to a question of if I needed to ever replace tubes - how much of an issue would that be?! So is it best to look towards solid state options....?

Mine field of confusion for me at the minute! A Zoom G5 (lots of pedals and combined with the G2.1u for volume control and maybe something else) and a CODE25 or MG30CFX or VHT Special 6 would run me to about $550 (which would certainly keep SWMBO happy!)
Honestly, amp tubes don't need frequent replacement unless you're gigging a lot, have unreliable power supplies. Etc. My Fender combo amp is still on its original set from 10+ years ago.

But with those kinds of duties, a good SS amp might be an investment that pays off. I can recommend Quilters as being some of the best out there.* They're small, light and sound great. Since they're not modeling amps, pedals will still be part of your rig.
http://www.quilterlabs.com

Here's their pre-2017 product comparison spec sheet:
http://www.quilterlabs.com/misc/QuilterProductMatrix.pdf

* I'm personally intending to buy one or more in the coming 12 months, no joke.

Power can be intermittent here but I will get a new Auto Voltage Regulator for a new amp anyway. The other issue worth mentioning regarding imports is customs is extremely erm, well, without being political, ughmmmm....you probably get my drift A lot of things tend to disappear on their way into the country. Tend to only send in low risk items here!
Those Quilters do look good for a guy like me - thanks for the product matrix too. This is also the kind of thing I could buy when I head back to Europe and it would be light enough to put in the hand luggage. 
Well, what I meant was that if you're dealing with high import costs, finding replacement tubes might be expensive and time consuming, regardless of why the tube popped in the first place.

Agreed with the above Certainly would be a PITA from around here to get replacements and get them shipped here!
Quote by hydreliox
Those Quilters do look good for a guy like me - thanks for the product matrix too. This is also the kind of thing I could buy when I head back to Europe and it would be light enough to put in the hand luggage. 

A Quilter (head & cab or combo) plus a good MFX unit and a guitar would be a relatively complete and lightweight travel rig. Some of the smaller ones could fit in a gig bag or a pedalboard.

A question: can you find OK cabs where you are? The downside to the Quilters is that most of them- especially the tiny inexpensive ones- are just heads, meaning you'd need a cab.

Again, cabs not easy to come by and are expensive really. Other option I have is building a cab as components are surprisingly easy to get - although I haven't had an in depth look at speakers yet, but I believe there to be plenty of options around - more research is needed!
12" Celestion V30s (8 or 16Ohm, variants) can be had for 130USD each. Could give myself a Quilter head and a DIY 2x12 cab but then I am pushing further up to finishing off 1000 bucks. 
Well, if you have the skills, tools, and parts, DIY makes sense. Might even impress SWMBO, unless you're supposed to be building something for her... if you're serious, you might want to start a thread here:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=53

Lots of good, helpful UGers up in there,

Still, don't know if I'd go for a 2x12 in your situation, though. I just brought my first 2x12 cab home today, and it does take up space and have a bit of mass. A good 1x12 or 1x15 will be able to handle most situations, while remaining portable enough to wrangle singlehandedly. My cab pretty much required 2 hands due to bulk more than weight.

Yeah, I was trying that option but unfortunately no one coming out any time soon. Most of our visitors are divers too - which means baggage allowances are fairly tight. I gave that a run for two weeks before I gave up.

Just ordered the G5 at it's original retail price, about what I expect for here - should be with me middle of next week.

For now I can use that to control it's on board stomp boxes etc with the combination of my G2.1u for other bits (mainly volume control and noise reduction) and run it into Amplitube for rack, amp and cab. Has advantage over the FCB1010 that it is a bit more travel friendly and I can use it as a stomp box when I have a cab built and a head

Will look at ordering a Celestion next week whilst I source something for box building.....finally getting there! 
Thanks for the tip mate Plenty of tools (including myself ) and competent enough for DIY. A 1x12 would of course cut costs in half too - so that's good to hear

And the wife's lists is always getting added to, so she won't mind or notice if I'm doing something for me!

Think I might have a solution - just been to the store and they don't have a Zoom G5 in, so trying to grab one I saw on an online store here!
hydreliox

Y'know, if you do decide on a Quilter, those things top out just under 8lbs for the biggest heads (the ones out of your price range). Smaller ones are under 5lbs. Maybe one of the divers could swing that.

Given that you are used to amp modeling through your pedal or Amplitude, the fact that you want USB recording and the ability to also play out with it getting the Zoom G5 and a powered speaker might be a great setup for you. At home you can use the speaker or headphones and playing out you can bring your speaker and pedal and that's your amp. I imagine it would be fairly cost effective as well.
Since you're pretty well set up with modeling now, all you really need is a solid state power amp (should be something available that was originally targeted at a PA system) and a speaker cabinet. 

Take a look at the fEARful 12/6/1i, which is a DIY cabinet utilizing an Eminence 3012LF 12" LF speaker and an 18Sound 6ND410 or an Eminence Alpha 6A. It's compact, lightweight, has great bottom end extension and it will easily handle up to 700W at 8 ohms. The cabinet is glued construction using Loctite Premium PL (the stuff is insanely strong), which should be available at any hardware store, it's made of thinner plywood than most guitar cabinets (its strength and rigidity come from specially-designed bracing).  Plans are freely available online (here's a sample: http://greenboy.us/fEARful/DL/12+6/fEARful%2012+6.png ), there's a website that supports them and speakerhardware.com has everything you need that you can't get where you are. I'd suggest using them for your crossover bits, but I'm guessing you can source everything else where you are. 

I've got a larger 15" version of this cabinet and I use a Carvin HD1500, a 1500w power amp (around $300, about 9 lbs) bridged, mono, and it puts out 900W to 8 ohms in that configuration. I'd suggest getting something that will put out close to the max power handling for the fEARful cabinet at the very least.  Speakerhardware.com even has a build video to show you how it all goes together, and even has finishing supplies (you're not going to tolex this one). 
Last edited by dspellman at Apr 6, 2017,
This might get me shot in these parts but I'd be stupid not to ask.....

There is a karaoke based amp going for free from work. It's a Sakura AV-5023 China made - Philippine loved. Nothing really wrong with it as a unit. I'm taking anyway because it I don't use it then our kid can scream her lungs into it but would it be possible to plug the guitar into it from the Zoom G5? I assume these things have a lot of clean head roo. Max output 550w x2. I assume if this works I'll be playing at venue level in the bed room. Volume knob will probably need to be between 0-0.5?!

Bonus is the missus really likes it when I'm not spending cash ;-)

Specs I found online....

[h]Description[/h]

The Sakura AV-5023 is a five channel Karaoke amplifier with pro-logic surround decoder.
Specifications
Frequency response: 20Hz to 20kHz
Total harmonic distortion: 0.08%
Input sensitivity: 5mV (mic), 200mV (line)
Signal to noise ratio: 90dB (line)
Speaker load impedance: 8Ω (minimum)

115USD for a set of Crown 600w speakers if this works out....?! Guess we'll see how well that tube works in the G5 too!
Last edited by hydreliox at Apr 7, 2017,
Yeah I did read the same page earlier on

Just figured it may well work with the cab simulation I am running better than going into a guitar based amp - lots of clean headroom to bring out the cab sim profiles....maybe.

Also the G5 has the tube boost so that may help to blend the sound more. Guess there is only one way to find out!
Try before you buy?

I'll hold out on the speakers. Ampl was free and sat in my car. Same unit is also at work connected to the speakers I'm looking at getting. When the pedal board arrives I fully intend on testing out before I grab any speakers.

Like I say, if the amp doesn't work out still cash in the pocket for other options and a free amp that I can at least mic or let my kid have a sing on  
Hmmm.. tech21 para driver DI pedal which you can connect to a PA system.. but getting it locally where you are might be harder.. if you know someone going to the Phillipines.. let them buy a used pedal and bring it with them.. you would need a power supply for 220v power.. better use a surge protector or something to protect your equiptment.. TC Electronic Corona chorus/ Mojo Mojo OD/ Dark Matter Distortion/ Sparks Booster/ Flashback delay (has built-in looper)/ Ditto x2 Looper, and Way huge Swollen Pickle fuzz. Digitech also has some cool pedals... if budget and availability are issue.. Joyo or Mooer pedal should do the trick..

If your able to get USED Peavey Bandit or Envoy 110 USA made (vintage) the transtube tech is so good some people can't tell which is which in blind test between solid state amp and tube amp.
I have Washburn guitars 'Maverick Series' and bass 'Bantam Series' and a few pedals and amps, but man I wish to have more patience and drive practicing my playing, if it's equal to the modding itch, then I'm golden.
psp742

Is this to act as an amp model or?! Sorry, not clear to me what I would require this for given the Zoom G5 modelling and tube boost? Could you please clarify where this would sit in the rig and what it will help me to do

Thanks!
It's a analog amp simulation that allows you to connect to PA system (instead of bringing large guitar amp head, speaker cabs or large heavy and bulky combo amps) - http://en.m.audiofanzine.com/guitar-amp-simulation-pedal/tech-21/SansAmp-Para-Driver-DI/user_reviews/r.109523.html [you can read reviews of it]

Joyo copied Tech21 Character Amp series pedals.. California sound, American sound (Fender), British sound (Marshall), AC Tone and more... Mooer has micro series (same concept but smaller) - http://www.tdpri.com/threads/favourite-character-series-pedal-or-joyo.514010/ and - https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/25140-mooer-unveils-series-of-micro-preamps

Joyo is the cheaper option.. there are demo on youtube.. just search.
I have Washburn guitars 'Maverick Series' and bass 'Bantam Series' and a few pedals and amps, but man I wish to have more patience and drive practicing my playing, if it's equal to the modding itch, then I'm golden.
Last edited by psp742 at Apr 8, 2017,