Page 1 of 2
So there are some activities in life that you would regard as more social activities, and in my experience, people feel a bit self concious about doing on their own. My question is, what do you feel weird about doing alone, and what are you comfortable with doing on your own?
I'll start with some of my examples:

Going to the cinema - I actually enjoy going to the cinema alone. I have a fairly good social life, but in the past, I've missed a lot of films at the cinema due to the fact that my friends have either been to busy to go, or the film I wanted to see just wasn't really their thing. I find that going on your own is quite liberating, as you can just work off your own schedule, and watch whatever you want. I wouldn't say no to going with friends, but I've kind of stopped seeing the film part as a social activity, as you are just sitting in silence for an hour and a half or so. 

Getting coffee - Not such a weird one, but I've had people ask me if I think it's socially acceptable to sit in a cafe on your own. Personally, I find it pretty relaxing.

Getting food - I've had dinner alone a few times, but it's always been at fairly casual places like pizzarias or burger places, and usually when I've had time to kill before meeting a friend. I don't think I would feel comfortable taking myself out to a fancy dinner.

One thing that I find a little weird is drinking alone. I've done it before and it feels weird when it's more than just the occasional pint. The only time recently when I felt like it was justified was when I nailed a job interview, so I had a beer afterwards to celebrate. 

Inb4 anything sexual.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
Watching movies
Photographing
Listening to music
Writing
Eating food
Reading
Walking
Verb
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
I do most things alone so I see that as normal. It's when I'm with other people that I get self-concious about the things I do. I feel like I'm dragging them down to my level and expecting them to enjoy it.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Masturbating.
See I enjoy doing this with other people
ha-haaa
Quote by Banjocal
See I enjoy doing this with other people

Yeah, but this really only works as long as you stay hidden.
Eating alone isn't as frustrating since you don't have to take other people's choices into account.
Gets lonely though.

I prefer to listen to music and watch movies alone too but I watch horror movies every now and then with just one friend and we order out then. Makes for a pretty cosy night. I often put on music while studying or something in my room when the same friend is the room, although I usually just put on blues or classical then so it can stay in the background. 
Last edited by Spinnerweb at Apr 5, 2017,
Quote by ultimate-slash
Yeah, but this really only works as long as you stay hidden.
I was actually thinking mutual handies

defo a fave
ha-haaa
I definitely like watching shows and having a coffee or grabbing a bite alone.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by Banjocal
I was actually thinking mutual handies

defo a fave

It's not masturbation when you do it to someone else.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
I'd rather do most things alone than with people who might just get on my nerves or talk my ear off. Even close friends have tendency to act so fucking weird or stupid in public it annoys me.

I hardly go to the movies alone, but I wouldn't mind it, it's good experience either way. Same thing with watching tv series at home. I don't eat out alone often either, but I wouldn't mind it depending on the place, like fastfood idgaf, there's really no formality there.

I consider myself introverted, so I gain energy doing things alone so I can self reflect, but I enjoy doing hobbies with friends more (videogames, producing music, hiking, skating, going to concerts, clubs, smoking, drinking, etc) all more fun with a human connection.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

I had my lunch in a coffee shop today, I was alone and reading my book. I do it all the time so I hope others don't find it weird, if they do oh well it not like I can magically conjure up a friend to make my lunch more socially acceptable
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
Thanks for sharing, Blode.

Quote by slapsymcdougal
It's not masturbation when you do it to someone else.
"mutual masturbation"
ha-haaa
Quote by Banjocal
Thanks for sharing, Blode.

"mutual masturbation"

A phrase that well deserves quotation marks to indicate the poor choice of words to describe it.

It's on the same level as "solo cooperative".
Quote by Diemon Dave
slapsymcdougal
From oxford dick (sorry)

masturbation
NOUN
mass noun
Stimulation of the genitals with the hand for sexual pleasure.
Take yr prescriptivism into the trash (it goes it goes guillotine)
ha-haaa
Quote by Banjocal
slapsymcdougal
From oxford dick (sorry)

Take yr prescriptivism into the trash (it goes it goes guillotine)

Isn't quoting the dictionary pretty prescriptive?

Also, from your source

[h]masturbate [/h]

verb
[NO OBJECT]
  • 1Stimulate one's genitals with one's hand for sexual pleasure.
Quote by Diemon Dave
slapsymcdougal
nah it just means that the common usage of these words transcends simply one person doing the wanking

I would say that, if I were giving you a top quality handy, I would be masturbating you
ha-haaa
Quote by Banjocal
slapsymcdougal
nah it just means that the common usage of these words transcends simply one person doing the wanking

I would say that, if I were giving you a top quality handy, I would be masturbating you

I'd say sexually assaulting, but tomato, to-rape-o.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Taking a piss/shit should defintalely be a solo activity unfortunately that is not always the case with some people.

#fetishes
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Quote by slapsymcdougal
I'd say sexually assaulting, but tomato, to-rape-o.
>implying you wouldn't absolutely say yes if I offered you a handjob

Quote by Evilnine
Taking a piss/shit should defintalely be a solo activity unfortunately that is not always the case with some people.

#fetishes
And don't get me started on swallowing people alive
ha-haaa
Banjocal

LOL duly noted!
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Well, murder is probably best done alone.  Witnesses can complicate things.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by The_Blode
And I went to sleep in my bunk one night and it was soaking wet, I got out and smelled. . .it was urine, when I had noticed, everybody started laughing, so I flipped the mattress and just cried quietly. . .

Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Everything Blode posts is like a kernel of a copypasta.

I bring this up because when I went to army cadet camp as a kid, that sort of thing happened in the barracks. . .and I couldn't sleep while the dudes just messed around literally all night. . .

And I went to sleep in my bunk one night and it was soaking wet, I got out and smelled. . .it was urine, when I had noticed, everybody started laughing, so I flipped the mattress and just cried quietly. . .my big brother was in the top bunk but we're not fighting types, we're lovers not fighters we should have never joined the ACF we should have joined a book club or we should have just stuck to being librarians at school . . .

Plus, I couldn't shoot good so that was a big mark down on my file. . . the more things change. . .
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Masturbating.

What about masturbating while watching The Prestige?
Quote by TheChaz
What about masturbating while watching The Prestige?

So you mean watching The Prestige?
Quote by The_Blode
microphilia is where it's at. . . 
no it's not you're just gross
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 
Quote by -Mantra-
donender 

You mean going to the pub alone? Or do you mean drinking alone at home?

You're never alone at the pub.

I do drink alone at home, at least when I used to drink frequently, which I do not these days.
I have to say that it's not a very healthy thing to do.
Nothing wrong with a beer or a glass of wine, but I would put away a 6 pack or more, not good.
I cba to go to these places alone. Before going to a fancy place alone, I prefer staying at home. Instead of going to a restaurant/pizzeria/etc alone, I go home and order delivery. I don't really watch movies so going to the movies alone doesn't motivate me much. I think I would be fine with doing any of those alone. Meh, might be a good idea to try sometimes, might like some of them. But if that's the case I could also just invite someone too.

When going clubbing my friends usually go home early and I spend 1 or 2 hours alone inside without feeling self-conscious or anything like that
No other only children here? As an only child, I can tell ya', you're typically comfortable doing any given thing under the sun alone.
“High fly ball into right field. She is… gone!" - Vin Scully
Quote by Standard_A440
No other only children here? As an only child, I can tell ya', you're typically comfortable doing any given thing under the sun alone.

No youngest of five children here? As the youngest of five children, I can tell ya', you're typically comfortable doing any given thing under the sun alone.
Especially when all your siblings are over a decade older than you.
Last edited by Spinnerweb at Apr 6, 2017,
Funny how when you do things alone everything seems to work out, I don't have to ask myself a bunch of question and do an analysis just to get something to eat.

Question, could I technically say that I am alone while masturbation in a room while somebody is in the next room, I'm still alone...right?
Flying in a blue dream
I do pretty much everything on my own and if I happen to have other people I know involved while doing it, then great but if not then whatever. If someone invites me to something specific, I'm usually on board but I don't let needing other people around stopping me from going to do something. In the past having someone along meant dealing with worrying about whether they were enjoying themselves, being concerned about taking too long or going to quickly with stuff (notable thing when going museums/galleries or general sightseeing) and having to keep tabs on them if it's an unfamiliar environment.

eg. I got to gigs/shows a few times every week, for a long time I was genuinely there alone. these days, I've know a lot of people who turn up to the same stuff so we hangout but I'm always going to the place by myself and just bumping into them there.

Only thing I haven't really done by myself yet is go on holiday, pretty much every time I've gone some place it's been because a friend has invited me along and I'm like "sure why not". Even though I have fun with everyone on the trip, I often make a point to go off by myself for a while and explore the place at my own pace, which usually results in the most memorable parts of my trip

Eg. I went to Amsterdam a few years back with friends for a long weekend thing and it was kinda fun but kinda annoying for the most part. The best time of the whole trip was when I got up early and spend most of the day wandering around town alone and checking out whatever I felt like without having to go and consult someone on whether they are interested in being dragged along, or having to give a shit about whether they are having fun. kinda half planning to do a solo trip abroad at some point soon for a week or two maybe to really absorb that experience.

Quote by donender
So there are some activities in life that you would regard as more social activities, and in my experience, people feel a bit self concious about doing on their own. My question is, what do you feel weird about doing alone, and what are you comfortable with doing on your own?
I'll start with some of my examples:

Going to the cinema - I actually enjoy going to the cinema alone. I have a fairly good social life, but in the past, I've missed a lot of films at the cinema due to the fact that my friends have either been to busy to go, or the film I wanted to see just wasn't really their thing. I find that going on your own is quite liberating, as you can just work off your own schedule, and watch whatever you want. I wouldn't say no to going with friends, but I've kind of stopped seeing the film part as a social activity, as you are just sitting in silence for an hour and a half or so.

Getting coffee - Not such a weird one, but I've had people ask me if I think it's socially acceptable to sit in a cafe on your own. Personally, I find it pretty relaxing.

Getting food - I've had dinner alone a few times, but it's always been at fairly casual places like pizzarias or burger places, and usually when I've had time to kill before meeting a friend. I don't think I would feel comfortable taking myself out to a fancy dinner.

One thing that I find a little weird is drinking alone. I've done it before and it feels weird when it's more than just the occasional pint. The only time recently when I felt like it was justified was when I nailed a job interview, so I had a beer afterwards to celebrate.

Inb4 anything sexual.

on your stuff:
cinema: I'm sitting in the dark and I like watching random stuff. sure there is something nice about having someone to immediately discuss the movie with afterwards but going with someone pretty much always means watching some "big" movie. I often go to the cinema after work or sometimes before going to some show on the weekend if I'm up early enough and couldn't wait until a free work evening to see something.

coffee: I only ever use cafes when I'm waiting for something really, usually just get coffee and read for however much time I have to kill. have never been much into just going out to chill at a cafe, since all I'd be doing is drinking coffee and reading and I could easily do that at home.

food: similar thing as cafes, have gone to eat out by myself a bunch but only really do it if I hadn't eaten and had time to kill before doing whatever was the main thing I left the house for (usually a show). sometimes do it if I've been shopping though, but often after shopping I just wanna go home.

I do often get a pint and something to eat when I have a meeting in another part of town and notice I can probably sneak in a long lunch before getting back to the office.

actually on this note, I've got a stag to attend on saturday evening but the guys involved are pretty dull by my standards (proper good muslim boys, it's just gonna be restaurant and shisha and no booze or dirty stuff) so it'll prob be done before midnight. I'm thinking of going cinema alone in the afternoon before it and then after the stag do, very likely going alone to a club or perhaps late night cinema if I just want to chill.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
The first 3 years of college, I commuted and rarely spent more time on campus than was necessary for class/lab. Even still, there was lots of down time because I lived so far away, I couldn't afford to drive home between classes.

I did most everything alone, and it was quite peaceful. It allowed me to sit and observe, and to think. Looking back now I get this distinct "Beautiful Mind" feeling, like I was fucking nuts and in my own little world while everything else just went on around me. Not that I am brilliant like John Nash. It was cool nontheless.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Page 1 of 2