Hey Folks!  
Recently had an incident where a friend unfortunately knocked over one of my guitar stands and snapped the tuning peg off of my Takamine GN30CE Electo-Acoustic Guitar (Wonderful instrument all-round). The local music place recently shut down for renovations and I don't have the time to take it elsewhere (nearest place after that is a 2hr drive!).   

I cannot seem to find the exact tuning pegs associated with the instrument so I've chosen to replace the entire set, I've ensured that the ones I am purchasing are the correct type and form but I have no idea how to unwind the string (D in Standard) since the tuning peg itself is snapped off.   

The best way I can describe it is that the screw that holds the peg to the actual mechanism has snapped, picture included to show what I mean here: http://imgur.com/a/1Cp1T

If anyone has any idea of how I can remove the string (since the tuning peg itself can't be unwound) it'd be greatly appreciated.   

Kind Regards,
S. Shrew
Individual strings usually cost a little over one dollar here... it sounds like you're ordering the set of tuners from somewhere online? Maybe instead of getting a whole set, you could just buy the one tuner, and one string?