Page 1 of 2
I have been wondering which Tube Screamer to buy recently. My main contenders are the TS9, TS Mini (which is litterally a TS-808 put in a smaller stompbox), TS-808, and Maxon OD808. I am open to other suggestions, but I want something with a mid hump that can be used as a (mostly) clean boost.

I mostly am debating between the TS Mini and the TS9. The Mini is cheaper, but I like the enclosure of the TS9 more. Not just looks, but the larger foot pedal would be nice since I play without shoes a lot, and it's easiest to controll it on a TS9 without shoes. I also like that it has a barely noticable extra volume boost (only difference circut-wise between the 808 and 9).
Just a teenage girl who loves playing guitar way too much, if that's even possible.

I live for my girlfriend. <3
there is a whole world full of TS style pedals so don't just stop at Ibanez stuff. while all of the pedals you listed are good and will do the job there are may others that have better options that will do that sound. i personally use a Digitech CM-2 overdrive which has a far better tone control setup as well as a boost switch to up the gain (no longer in production but still fairly easy to find). i also use a T-Rex Crunchy Frog overdrive which has a seperate built in clean boost which can be combined with the overdrive section of the pedal.,. this pedal has great dynamics and really responds to how hard or soft you pick individual notes. i'm sure others will respond with other options. the Tubescreamer is probably the most copied pedal ever. it is also a pedal that many have tried to improve on while maintaiining what has made the TS such a long lived pedal. take your time and do some research on this 
Quote by monwobobbo
there is a whole world full of TS style pedals so don't just stop at Ibanez stuff. while all of the pedals you listed are good and will do the job there are may others that have better options that will do that sound. i personally use a Digitech CM-2 overdrive which has a far better tone control setup as well as a boost switch to up the gain (no longer in production but still fairly easy to find). i also use a T-Rex Crunchy Frog overdrive which has a seperate built in clean boost which can be combined with the overdrive section of the pedal.,. this pedal has great dynamics and really responds to how hard or soft you pick individual notes. i'm sure others will respond with other options. the Tubescreamer is probably the most copied pedal ever. it is also a pedal that many have tried to improve on while maintaiining what has made the TS such a long lived pedal. take your time and do some research on this 

I have done reasearch, and there's just way to many clones to keep track of. I'll have to check out the pedals you mentioned.
Just a teenage girl who loves playing guitar way too much, if that's even possible.

Quote by gogiregion
I have done reasearch, and there's just way to many clones to keep track of. I'll have to check out the pedals you mentioned.

oh yeah there are tons of TS style pedals and i certainly haven't checked out all of them or even close  . there are a few that get recommended often though so all i'm saying is don't stop with Ibanez. i used a TS for probably 30 years until it finally died. they certainly work but there are better options at this point. 
Quote by monwobobbo
oh yeah there are tons of TS style pedals and i certainly haven't checked out all of them or even close  . there are a few that get recommended often though so all i'm saying is don't stop with Ibanez. i used a TS for probably 30 years until it finally died. they certainly work but there are better options at this point. 

Okay. What's your personal favorite one?

Looking at my stuff, the T-Rex Michael Angelo Batio overdrive is a nice TS descendant. The Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde V2's OD is TS based, as is the OD part of the Route 66 V2 and both sides of their Double Trouble- all discontinued, but fairly easily found used.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by gogiregion
Okay. What's your personal favorite one?

well i plug the Digitech CM-2 here th most so i guess that one. i t works well with all of my guitars and i like the EQ setup on it as well. the T-Rex Crunchy Frog (aside from having a funny Monty Python inspired name) is more versatile but is fairly bright sounding so works better with my humbucker equiped guitars than my strats. i also have an Eno Music OD-9 which is a mini TS clone that is a cheapie that i use for practice and as a throw in the case OD to take to jams or whatever. (it's cheap so if something happened it would't be a big deal)

i highly suggest trying overdrives with your amp if at all possible. what works for me may not be the best option for you. i'd go with a pedal that has more than 1 tone knob as your amp doesn't have much in the line of tonal options. 
Quote by monwobobbo
well i plug the Digitech CM-2 here th most so i guess that one. i t works well with all of my guitars and i like the EQ setup on it as well. the T-Rex Crunchy Frog (aside from having a funny Monty Python inspired name) is more versatile but is fairly bright sounding so works better with my humbucker equiped guitars than my strats. i also have an Eno Music OD-9 which is a mini TS clone that is a cheapie that i use for practice and as a throw in the case OD to take to jams or whatever. (it's cheap so if something happened it would't be a big deal)

i highly suggest trying overdrives with your amp if at all possible. what works for me may not be the best option for you. i'd go with a pedal that has more than 1 tone knob as your amp doesn't have much in the line of tonal options. 

Honestly, one tone knob is fine, especially if it's a mids knob. My amp is REALLY bright with max tone, although I do use single coils, so take that with a grain of salt. I definitely would at least go to my music store and see if they have any good overdrives. At some point I'm going to go there to try out both models of Carbon Copy delay, as I know that they have both models (they have that, but only 2 boss pedals, wierd).

Edit: Has anyone tried the Moor Green Mile? I might need to try that one out on my amp, but it sounded just slightly not as good as an Ibanez TS9.

Last edited by gogiregion at Apr 5, 2017,
gogiregion  Mooer , Joyo and Eno Music are all pretty much the same just rebranded. as i mentioned i have the Eno Music OD-9 and it does sound pretty much the same as my old TS-9 did. not exactly but close enough. as a back up it's fine. 
mxr micro amp is my favorite.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Check out the Keeley red dirt, or some of their modded Tube Screamers too
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
Quote by Tony Done
The humble Bad Monkey is my favourite TS type smooth overdrive. The SD-1 is good for rough.

I tried out an SD-1, and I wasn't actually a fan. It didn't have a very big mid hump.

Quote by monwobobbo
gogiregion  Mooer , Joyo and Eno Music are all pretty much the same just rebranded. as i mentioned i have the Eno Music OD-9 and it does sound pretty much the same as my old TS-9 did. not exactly but close enough. as a back up it's fine. 

Yeah, since it would end up being my primary overdrive, I want the best. The TS9 is probably the best I've heard (though there is practically no difference between that and the 808).

I have owned nearly every Ibanez TS pedal that came out. My favorite is the TS10. The best bargain is the TS7 that you can pickup on EBay easily for $40-50. If you don't want to get an Ibanez I do like the Bad Monkey both for sound and price it is very much like an Ibanez TS9 sound. If you want TS sound on steroids get the Ibanez Jet Driver. They go new for $80 on most sites but it largely depends on what you are looking for as far as sound. The Jet Driver has the TS sound but lots more gain. Very balls-to-the wall.

Here is a portion of my TS pedals that aren't currently on one of my pedal boards. The TS10 in this pic I bought used and had modded by Bob Keeley about 15 years ago to 808 specs. Bad move, not because of anything Keeley did (he does excellent work) but because I started using and liking my orginal TS10 so much that I wished I had a backup. Now they go for $150-200 on EBay. Not bad for a pedal I bought back in the mid 80's new for $30.

Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Apr 6, 2017,
Quote by Rickholly74
I have owned nearly every Ibanez TS pedal that came out. My favorite is the TS10. The best bargain is the TS7 that you can pickup on EBay easily for $40-50. If you don't want to get an Ibanez I do like the Bad Monkey both for sound and price it is very much like an Ibanez TS9 sound. If you want TS sound on steroids get the Ibanez Jet Driver. They go new for $80 on most sites but it largely depends on what you are looking for as far as sound. The Jet Driver has the TS sound but lots more gain. Very balls-to-the wall.

Here is a portion of my TS pedals that aren't currently on one of my pedal boards. The TS10 in this pic I bought used and had modded by Bob Keeley about 15 years ago to 808 specs. Bad move, not because of anything Keeley did (he does excellent work) but because I started using and liking my orginal TS10 so much that I wished I had a backup. Now they go for $150-200 on EBay. Not bad for a pedal I bought back in the mid 80's new for $30.

That's a nice collection! I'll have to check out the Jet Driver and TS10. Personally, I don't think I would like the Bad Monkey and it's two tone controll thing. The Jet Driver sounds like I would like, for the mids knob and from what Ive heard, not extra drive, but a much better clean boost potential. I'll check them out when I have time.

I'll plug the Xotic AC Booster here - it doesn't have a mid hump - but that's actually what makes it way better than a Tubescreamer - it actually retains the sound of your amp and guitar in a more organic fashion.  

I owned the TS 9 before replacing it with the AC Booster - the TS9 sucks tone, even with the gain on 0,  whereas the Xotic doesn't.

Not sure what your intended use is, if it's to drive a Metal tone than maybe the TS9 the right fit, but for any other style of music check out other options.  
Way Huge Green Rhino. Get one. Especially the Mark IV version.

It kicked my TS9 straight off my board and onto ebay. The GR is far better sounding (more harmonically rich, keeps more of the character of the amp in the signal) and has a lot of very useful EQ options to fine tune how it reacts to your amp. It also has a much wider range of gain than a TS.

With so many TS-style pedals with additional EQ controls at very similar prices to a TS9, it's silly these to get one of the Ibanez TS pedals. They're not bad pedals, but there are far superior options for the price.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by reverb66
I'll plug the Xotic AC Booster here - it doesn't have a mid hump - but that's actually what makes it way better than a Tubescreamer - it actually retains the sound of your amp and guitar in a more organic fashion.  

I owned the TS 9 before replacing it with the AC Booster - the TS9 sucks tone, even with the gain on 0,  whereas the Xotic doesn't.

Not sure what your intended use is, if it's to drive a Metal tone than maybe the TS9 the right fit, but for any other style of music check out other options.  

I mostly need it because my amp is more of a classic gain type amp, that only has 2 gain stages in the preamp, and can't really get that high. I also would like to have a solo boost with a mid hump. I mostly just need a good boost pedal that has a nice mid hump. Transparency is not exacly what I'm looking for (by transparency I mean very little EQing). Honestly, a boss FB-2 might be good for me.

Edit: I don't know about the JD9 anymore. Now that I've had more time to look at it, I prefer the TS9.

Last edited by gogiregion at Apr 6, 2017,
TS Mini because it's the cheapest and also tube screamers sound exactly the same especially if you're just using it to drive your amp harder.
Quote by pinheadslts75
TS Mini because it's the cheapest and also tube screamers sound exactly the same especially if you're just using it to drive your amp harder.

That was my original thought, but I would be less likely to lose a TS9, the footswitch is a bit better IMO, and just the idea of owning a TS9 would be cool (though the least important part, by far).

If you're only using a micro terror, and only going to use it as a boost, I wouldn't spend too much. You can spend as much on a TS-type as you could on a better amp. I guess if you don't want to cheap out too much the ts mini is probably the one (though I haven't tried it), but joyo etc. would do the job, at least enough to see if it does what you want and works the way it should with your hybrid amp (since not all solid states/hybrids take boosts very well).

or the boss sd1, though they can have bypass bleed and need another buffered pedal in front to cure it. but they're awesome apart from that.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
For a clean boost, I've gotta give it to the Maxon 808.  I just got one a couple weeks ago and it's fantastic.  If you wanna get that classic bluesy, slightly driven tone, there's nothing better than a Keeley modded TS808 or the Keeley Red drive.  Both will cost a decent penny but are well worth it imo.
Quote by Dave_Mc
If you're only using a micro terror, and only going to use it as a boost, I wouldn't spend too much. You can spend as much on a TS-type as you could on a better amp. I guess if you don't want to cheap out too much the ts mini is probably the one (though I haven't tried it), but joyo etc. would do the job, at least enough to see if it does what you want and works the way it should with your hybrid amp (since not all solid states/hybrids take boosts very well).

or the boss sd1, though they can have bypass bleed and need another buffered pedal in front to cure it. but they're awesome apart from that.

That's a good point about price, although my guitar is over 4 times the price as my amp . I'm not a big fan of the SD-1 (I chose my current Mexican overdrive over it in store). If I find a good used TS9, I might get that, but that argument about price makes me want a TS Mini.

Quote by Cathbard

Fixed.

The MkIV is the superior version. The Curve control (which was honestly pretty useless in the MkII) is replaced with a 500HZ control, which is a lot more useful.

It also has a 'classic' switch that bypasses the EQ controls altogether, and turns the pedal into an exact clone of the original GR.

It's also in a more compact enclosure then the original and the MkII. Which is most welcome as the enclosures in the original pedals were needlessly large and took up more real estate on one's pedalboard for no good reason.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by Dave_Mc
If you're only using a micro terror, and only going to use it as a boost, I wouldn't spend too much. You can spend as much on a TS-type as you could on a better amp.

I can understand the logic of this, but honestly I think in this situation, it's better in the long run to get a great OD out of the gate that offers additional EQ options than to settle with one that doesn't just because it was marginally cheaper. The benefit to tone that EQ-able TS-style pedals offer is worth more than the price of admission. Some of them (MXR Badass Modified OD) don't even cost any more money than a new TS9 anyway. Sure the MXR is more based on a BOSS SD1 than a TS9/TS808, but it still illustrates the point.

But if price is a real concern, TS should go used so he doesn't lose any money when he comes to sell it on when he upgrades to an EQ-able OD.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Yeah I guess. I was just working on the basis that even a TS9 is a fair whack of money, but yeah used will help with that.

The Digitech CM-2 than monwobobbo mentioned is pretty good in that respect, has most of those extra features while still being cheap. Discontinued, though. And it doesn't quite compress like a TS (I guess that's the higher voltage within the pedal).

Also I think she's female.

(Not that I care about binary gender or whatever, but just in case she does. )

gogiregion: What mexican OD do you have? Do you have a link to it? It may well already be a clone of something, quite possibly a tubescreamer.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Yeah I guess. I was just working on the basis that even a TS9 is a fair whack of money, but yeah used will help with that.

The Digitech CM-2 than monwobobbo mentioned is pretty good in that respect, has most of those extra features while still being cheap. Discontinued, though. And it doesn't quite compress like a TS (I guess that's the higher voltage within the pedal).

Also I think she's female.

(Not that I care about binary gender or whatever, but just in case she does. )

gogiregion: What mexican OD do you have? Do you have a link to it? It may well already be a clone of something, quite possibly a tubescreamer.

You are right about me being a girl. Sounds like someone has read my sig.

Anyways, I know it's not a TS clone. The tone knob goes from 100% nuetral at 0%, to mid boost below 12 o'clock, to trebble booster territory (it functions exactly like a trbble booster on high tone levels). The unity volume is at 100% on the level knob, and the drive sounds exactly like speaker distortion. Not at all like a Tube Screamer. I'm 100% sure of that.

If you're handy with a soldering iron (or if you aren't), check out BYOC. They have some awesome 808 clones. I have an OD-2 by them which is the 808 circuit that has switchable mods as well as a boost built in. Check it out. 
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I can understand the logic of this, but honestly I think in this situation, it's better in the long run to get a great OD out of the gate that offers additional EQ options than to settle with one that doesn't just because it was marginally cheaper. The benefit to tone that EQ-able TS-style pedals offer is worth more than the price of admission. Some of them (MXR Badass Modified OD) don't even cost any more money than a new TS9 anyway. Sure the MXR is more based on a BOSS SD1 than a TS9/TS808, but it still illustrates the point.

But if price is a real concern, TS should go used so he doesn't lose any money when he comes to sell it on when he upgrades to an EQ-able OD.

gotta agree. if it's affordable then get the best you can. a good overdrive should work with almost any amp and if chosen wisely you won't have to replace it for years to come. i doubt that i'll ever let my CM-2 or Crunchy Frog go as they both perform really well. hell i use my TS for a lot of years so no reason to think these won't have the same longevity. 

oh and dave's right (it had to happen sooner or later   the CM-2 doesn't compress as much but that translates to better dynamics which is a big plus in my book. 
Quote by monwobobbo
gotta agree. if it's affordable then get the best you can. a good overdrive should work with almost any amp and if chosen wisely you won't have to replace it for years to come. i doubt that i'll ever let my CM-2 or Crunchy Frog go as they both perform really well. hell i use my TS for a lot of years so no reason to think these won't have the same longevity. 

oh and dave's right (it had to happen sooner or later   the CM-2 doesn't compress as much but that translates to better dynamics which is a big plus in my book. 

But not exactly a plus to me, because I would mostly be using it for a high gain boost, in which a strat might not have enough compression. So it does depend on the person. I honestly don't know if I should get the TS Mini or 9, because it's practically the same tone wise, but I don't kbow if the Mini is as sturdy.

Quote by gogiregion
But not exactly a plus to me, because I would mostly be using it for a high gain boost, in which a strat might not have enough compression. So it does depend on the person. I honestly don't know if I should get the TS Mini or 9, because it's practically the same tone wise, but I don't kbow if the Mini is as sturdy.

well i'm a pretty big strat user and play with more than a little gain.  keep in mind that high gain in itself adds compression. dynamics are important and a big part of the strats appeal so i don't want to sacrifice that as much as possible when playing with high gain.  all but 2 of the songs in the link in my profile were recorded with strats (and 1 of those just has a strat for a couple of lead parts) 
Quote by monwobobbo
well i'm a pretty big strat user and play with more than a little gain.  keep in mind that high gain in itself adds compression. dynamics are important and a big part of the strats appeal so i don't want to sacrifice that as much as possible when playing with high gain.  all but 2 of the songs in the link in my profile were recorded with strats (and 1 of those just has a strat for a couple of lead parts) 

That's true. Although most of the strat's appeal is also overdiven stuff. I've also heard that Orange has a bit less compression than Marshall, but I don't know if that's true, considering that I've never played through a good Marshall. With metal, I might need that bit of extra compression, but it might be better as an overdriven solo boost if it has less compression, so IDK.

Edit: Wait. The Mini is True Bypass! Is that good for a TS? I know a lot of people mod theirs to be true bypass.

Last edited by gogiregion at Apr 7, 2017,
Quote by gogiregion
That's true. Although most of the strat's appeal is also overdiven stuff. I've also heard that Orange has a bit less compression than Marshall, but I don't know if that's true, considering that I've never played through a good Marshall. With metal, I might need that bit of extra compression, but it might be better as an overdriven solo boost if it has less compression, so IDK.

Edit: Wait. The Mini is True Bypass! Is that good for a TS? I know a lot of people mod theirs to be true bypass.

true bypass is generally considered good. it won't affect the sound of the pedal but will prevent (mostly) tone suck when off. 
Duncan 805 or Green Rhino MKIV (MKII also good; i've this one but new one has a more direct mid control). 
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Quote by monwobobbo
true bypass is generally considered good. it won't affect the sound of the pedal but will prevent (mostly) tone suck when off. 

Honestly, I think the tone suck (which isn't that bad for some pedals, I don't know how bad it is on the TS) kindof makes up for the click, but some buffers are much better than others. Some true bypass is better than others too (like the Fulltone OCD with no click). There is the capacitance tone suck, but that can be solved with a buffer, and isn't really that bad.

^ Yeah. I mean, if you're talking in those terms about true bypass and buffers, you probably know as much as I do about it.

Personally I'd probably prefer to have mainly true bypass pedals, but then one (or more, if necessary... usually not necessary) good buffer to combat the tone suck from the cables.

that's in theory. in practice I just buy pedals which sound good and which are good value. granted, a really bad tone-sucker might be bad enough to put me off.

also, again in theory, a buffer is better than true bypass. but in practice, true bypass is better than a bad buffer.

and you could argue that, while true bypass is good, the switches they often use on them are prone to failure, more so than the soft switches on (most) buffered pedals.

Quote by gogiregion
You are right about me being a girl. Sounds like someone has read my sig.

Anyways, I know it's not a TS clone. The tone knob goes from 100% nuetral at 0%, to mid boost below 12 o'clock, to trebble booster territory (it functions exactly like a trbble booster on high tone levels). The unity volume is at 100% on the level knob, and the drive sounds exactly like speaker distortion. Not at all like a Tube Screamer. I'm 100% sure of that.

yeah i saw your sig

ah ok, no worries. TSes don't have a ton of level boost, but they do go above unity, even with the gain at zero. so yeah that doesn't really sound like a ts at all, the tone shouldn't be neutral on one either at really any setting on the tone knob.

Quote by monwobobbo

haha

but yeah gogiregion is right- a lot of players act like more compression is bad, but some players (me included) actually really like it. While I would tend to agree that the CM2 is awesome, and kind of like a "better" TS or bad monkey, if you want to absolutely nail the TS thing, then there are better options.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Page 1 of 2