I previously had an HP laptop Pavilion DV4 which is over 10 years now, but just recently, It suddenly shut down, and can never be repaired by the computer technicians. I was using Presonus audiobox ITwo as Hardware and Jam Vox as Software for practicing when the laptop shut down. The technicians couldn't point out the cause but they just say it was the motherboard that had burns and got damaged and was already impossible to replace because they said HP laptop parts are rare in our country.

I bought the Presonus  Audiobox ITwo for the purpose of recording Guitar Covers.

Now I'm planning to buy a desktop to replace my laptop, but before that, I would like to consult you guys,

So my questions are:

1) Are Preamps, specifically the Presonus Audiobox ITwo really safe for PC? (I thought they were made for desktops,laptops & Iphones/Ipads)
2) What could have really Damaged the laptop? was it
     a. The Jamvox Software?
     b. The Presonus Audiobox?
     c. or was it because the HP laptop could not handle Preamps?
3) And finally the ultimate question, I'm planning to buy a desktop with an Asus H81M-D plus LGA1150 Motherboard. Can it handle the Presonus Audiobox ITwo?

Thanks in advance for your answers guys.
Last edited by iampeterparkerjr at Apr 6, 2017,
It's far more likely that your 10 year old laptop died of natural causes(or at least, of something other than the Audiobox).

What the Audiobox passes to your PC isn't an amplified signal; it's passing digital data, exactly the same as syncing an iPod.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
I think the interface/preamp/software/guitar you were using at the time has absolutely NO bearing on the damage done to your computer.  With that particular interface, assuming you are connecting it to your computer via USB, the preamp and converters are already out of the picture and it is just transmitting data to your computer.  As was mentioned above, this is no more dangerous than syncing your phone to your computer.  If that's what fried it, there was a big problem elsewhere.  

The places I would look - especially on an older laptop are:
- overheating - Laptops tend to run hot.  Older laptops will run even hotter.  Laptops placed where they cannot circulate air easily are even hotter again.  
- power surges - We had a TV get knocked out in a lightning storm.  Any electronic device can be fried this way, but more sophisticated electronic things are more vulnerable.  Your electric shaver being plugged in to charge is a lot less likely to be fried than is your $5000 gaming PC.  
- connecting things incorrectly.  USB carries data and power.  This is why you can recharge your phone when you plug it into your computer via USB.   Power in USB cables is meant to flow in one direction.  If you were able to plug one device that sends power into another device that sends power - and thus not expecting to receive power - you could fry something.  For instance, a powered USB hub expects to send power.  The USB output on a PC expects to send power... not receive it.  So, if you plugged the output of your USB hub into one of your USB ports on your PC, bad things could happen.  This is why the ends of USB cables are different at each end.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
axemanchris thanks Chris. i don't think i connected something to the USB Port of my laptop that would inflow power to my pc.
this would be how my set-up looked:

Power ---> Laptop --> Preamp via USB Port --> Electric Guitar via Preamp's audio jack

I did not have any pedals that would have batteries in them, i just used jamvox or studio one with VST biasfx plug-in
The third scenario is highly unlikely, yes.  I would be most likely to consider either #1 or #2 as the reason for your laptop frying.  If it fried while you were using it, and there was no lightning storm nearby, it probably just overheated.  If it worked fine the last time you used it, and then didn't the next day or the next week you went to use it, then I might blame #2.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Last edited by axemanchris at Apr 6, 2017,
The iTwo according to Presonus' site says it is a USB interface, so you should be fine. You might want to check with Presonus on specific model of PC to verify as they test it with a wide range, but in general if it is USB then you're most likely OK.
axemanchris By #1, 2 & 3, You mean Jam Vox, Presonus Amp & HP laptop respectively right? It worked for I would say a couple of weeks but not more than 6 months for Presonus ITwo on Studio One, and not more than 3 months for Jam Vox. 

My laptop died while I was using Jamvox(software) and Presonus ITwo Preamp USB Interface.
iampeterparkerjr 

By 1, 2 and 3, I mean the three things I listed as probable culprits in the death of your computer, in order of likelihood.  

1 - overheating - Laptops tend to run hot.  Older laptops will run even hotter.  Laptops placed where they cannot circulate air easily are even hotter again.  
2 - power surges - We had a TV get knocked out in a lightning storm.  Any electronic device can be fried this way, but more sophisticated electronic things are more vulnerable.  Your electric shaver being plugged in to charge is a lot less likely to be fried than is your $5000 gaming PC.  
3 - connecting things incorrectly.  USB carries data and power.  This is why you can recharge your phone when you plug it into your computer via USB.   Power in USB cables is meant to flow in one direction.  If you were able to plug one device that sends power into another device that sends power - and thus not expecting to receive power - you could fry something.  For instance, a powered USB hub expects to send power.  The USB output on a PC expects to send power... not receive it.  So, if you plugged the output of your USB hub into one of your USB ports on your PC, bad things could happen.  This is why the ends of USB cables are different at each end. 

^ I don't think it was either of these 3, most likely some motherboard components failing due to being 10 yrs old. Caps most likely...although overheating due to blocked fan could possibly also cause some damage to the mobo.