Hi everyone

Basically i have up to £2500 to spend on a rig

Currently i have:
-Gibson les paul 91 standard tobacco
-Fender Standard american strat 2003 daphne blue 
-Martin 00015m

I basically am after an amp, pedals and perhaps a bit of spare change for a pickup or two. 

i wanna be able to spend 700-1000 on pedals so an amp under 1600

What i want from the rig is versatility. Im an aspiring young proffesional musician who is interested in many styles of music and will be using this amp for recording and live purposes. 

What im unsure of is do i go down the route of getting a nice Fender (fender 68 custom deluxe or hot rod deville or something) or a Vox ac15 and then using pedals to get more specific distortion tones....or do i get a more practical amp with multiple voicings/channels for overdrive and clean tones like the mesa mark v or the marshall jvm 410 c for example.

Here's a few of the amps im interested in currently 
-Marshall jvm 410c 
-Egnater Tweaker 40 112
- vox ac 15
-Fender 68 custom deluxe or hot rod deville-Marshall bluesbreaker

Any ideas of some great versatile amps would be great and also do i get a combo or buy a head and cabinet (baring in mind i have no cab)???
thanks in advance
Last edited by djaburnett1 at Apr 6, 2017,
rivera and mesa have some nice offerings for that.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Just as a kind of guide, do you have examples of sounds you might be interested in? I know you said versatility was a priority, and to that I have an easy default answer: buy a high-end modeler like an Line 6 Helix, Axe-FX, or Kemper Profiling Amp, and take your pic on your means of amplifying that (power amp and cab, powered monitors, tube/solid state, etc.)

Now if you want a stand-alone amp, these days you are not without a few options.

First, are you looking used or strictly new? Either way is fine, obviously there are deals to be had going used, but if having a new piece of gear is a priority, then we can work with that.

Off the top of my head, some very versatile amps to consider:
Marshall JVM410 (not my favorite, but a solid amp)
Fryette SIG:X (not sure what prices are for this in your area)
Engl Special Edition/Blackmore/etc. (lots of channel switchers, all are pretty solid)
Mesa Roadster/Road King/Mark IV/V/TC50/etc. (these might be cost prohibitive given you are across the pond from the US)

There are really lots of options, these just were all at the top of my head.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Mesa combo - roadster, Rectoverb, Express etc.  Not sure what the prices are over there, but you'll get much more out of those than any Fender or Vox, which are one-trick ponys ( they're great amps, just not versatile). 

The Mesa Lonestar Special 1 x12 is amazing if you can afford it - better cleans than any Fender I've played ( and I've played  many - vintage 60's Deluxe, Vintage vibroluxes, twins etc.) and great drive sounds - you can even play pretty heavy with it, but not full blown metal. The amp sounds amazing, but more importantly, it sounds amazing at any volume level - quiet gig or loud gig, you get great tone.  You have to watch out with Fenders because they tend to have one sweet spot and if you can't reach that volume you're tone suffers drastically. I rented a Deluxe Reverb before buying the Mesa and that was my main issue with it - it sounded great cranked, but if you didn't reach that breakup point, it was a weak tone.  

Whatever you do, avoid buying a 2x12 or a 4x12.  A 1x12 combo is enough for any gig and if you plan on playing a lot the extra weight and size of the 2x12 becomes a huge nuisance. I used to own a 2x12 fender hot rod deville  - I would not recommend that amp unless you have no other options. It's not well designed - it's too loud and you can't get breakup tones - although maybe the newer models have addressed that issue.   

I wouldn't suggest buying a modeller for live use because you're stuck buying a power amp and a monitor anyway, and then having to drag all of that to shows, which ends up being more hassle than just owning a small combo in most cases. That being said, they sell a Kemper with a built in power amp - that seems like the way to go if you choose that route.  
Yes I can provide some tones im interested in getting.

-Clapton cream era bluesy overdrive sorta sound - basicaly classic rock plexi sorta of sound. THink hendrix/page/petergreen
-Van halen brown sound - more modern sounding gain channel - slash/van halen

so basically an amp with a vintage/modern gain swtich/channels 

-An amp that could cover a large variety of styles of music, cleans up nicely 

New or used doesnt bother me mate

With regards to higher end modeling amps im just so unsure, they sound amazing online but i think i amp just interested in a real amp-tho ugh do you guys think i'd be missing out?

Do you know if the jvm410 can give a bluesy plexi tone or is it more of a modern sounding marshall sound?

Do you guys have any knowlege on heads vs combos? cos i could aways get a 1x12 cab and a head if the 2x12 or 4x12 are a pain?
Last edited by djaburnett1 at Apr 6, 2017,
Quote by djaburnett1
Yes I can provide some tones im interested in getting.

-Clapton cream era bluesy overdrive sorta sound - basicaly classic rock plexi sorta of sound. 
-Van halen brown sound

New or used doesnt bother me mate

With regards to higher end modeling amps im just so unsure, they sound amazing online but i think i amp just interested in a real amp-tho ugh do you guys think i'd be missing out?

Do you know if the jvm410 can give a bluesy plexi tone or is it more of a modern sounding marshall sound?

i don't like the JVM's and i have played a few.

mesa is your best bet used IMO .
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
djaburnett1 there's no difference between a head and a combo really.  The combo is just simpler to deal with - it's a head and a cab fused together with one handle to carry.  If you plan on playing shows I would suggest a combo. Even with a combo you can connect it to external speakers, so it can act as a head if you want to try a different cab etc. You still have that flexibility.

OKAY LADS

so i will narrow this down a bit 

i want a combo under £1700

What are some great versatile combos? 
-Clapton cream era bluesy overdrive sorta sound - basicaly classic rock plexi sorta of sound. THink hendrix/page/petergreen
-Nice clean channel that i could use for blues/indie/funk

reverb66 any other ideas for great combos under 1600?

-Marshall jvm? 

The mesa's are very right at the expensive end of the spectrum, i know how good they supposedly are but remember im young so less money will be handy!
djaburnett1 Take money out of your pedals budget and spend more on the amp - trust me.  You're better off having a great amp and no pedals for a period of time, than having a mediocre amp with a bunch of pedals. This is advice I wish someone had given me at the start. With a great versatile amp you can get by with the footswitch for gain changes and use the onboard reverb. Then buy pedals as you can afford them. If you have a great amp you can keep it forever. The amp is what dictates your tone - a great amps sounds professional without any fighting. 

Also, don't buy pickups - wait until you get your new amp. Guitars sound drastically different through a great amp and you may not need to change your pickups at all. 
I think his guitar pickups are good as they are. For all single coil I usually like to go with Lace Sensor pickups as I hate single coil noise, but honestly...I'd start with a great amp.
In my case the to go amp I am thinking of is Mesa Mark V or the Triple Crown (if I want Brit voicing), the 50 watt or 100 watt version and I could probably do everything I want on that amp, maybe with one overdrive in front and a chorus and echo/delay pedal in fx loop.
If that were impossible to acquire, I'd hunt down a USa-made Peavey JSX if there are any in England...or the amp that Peavey made after that, for which I don't know the name.
reverb66 The thing is, while i want the plexi/van halen/nice clean sounds, the band i want to start is gonna be centered around pedal based sounds, think queens of the stone age, bark market, radiohead, - more pedal based so i need some money for pedals

anyother suggestions for combos under 1700?
Honestly, I think a used Marshall JCM2000 DSL would be just the thing. I'm sure they are plentiful. Maybe a Marshall 6100 as well, gnarly amps. Look into Splawn, they are not as common but top knotch.

Friedman probably has something for you, though it may be over budget. Also, Laney VH series would be good, as well as some other Laneys (not super knowledgable, have to wait for others...)

Really the JCM2000 DSL would be a good bet. Great amps.
dementiacaptain  splawns gotta be hard to find in euope. probably not in budget there either, but i do love my splawns.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
dementiacaptain  splawns gotta be hard to find in euope. probably not in budget there either, but i do love my splawns.

Kind of what I'm figuring, but if they are available, even used, that would be the amp to go for, eh? Maybe a Quickrod or similar? Not up on all the models at this point, just thinking outloud.
In the USA, used Mesa Royal Atlantic 100w heads are going for about $1k these days, the combos a bit more.

They recently released the 50w Triple Crown, which seems to be the technological and tonal successor to the discontinued Atlantics. I just saw this one on Reverb:

https://reverb.com/p/mesa-boogie-triple-crown-tc-50-3-channel-tube-guitar-amp-head?gclid=Cj0KEQjwzpfHBRC1iIaL78Ol-eIBEiQAdZPVKrh1QIRU8cyH3QvPxaWlfR7WuyWmedefJE3uY5jrXEoaAv9j8P8HAQ&hfid=4805596
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dementiacaptain
Kind of what I'm figuring, but if they are available, even used, that would be the amp to go for, eh?  Maybe a Quickrod or similar?  Not up on all the models at this point, just thinking outloud.

yeah probably a quickrod. i have a promod and a nitro.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
it very much depends on what types of music you like most and what type of player you are- some players prefer those massive multi-channel amps, and others prefer a simple amp with tons of pedals.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by djaburnett1
reverb66 The thing is, while i want the plexi/van halen/nice clean sounds, the band i want to start is gonna be centered around pedal based sounds, think queens of the stone age, bark market, radiohead, - more pedal based so i need some money for pedals

anyother suggestions for combos under 1700?

Supro make nice amps. I've never tried one myself, but a friend of mine played one at a gig and it sounded beautiful. They aren't exactly cheap - after a quick search on google, the cheapest one I can find comes in at just under a grand. Other alternatives are a Fender Blues Junior (think you can pick one up for about £600) or a Laney (about same price, I think).

Even if you went for a Supro, you'd still have a bit of money to throw around on pedals. As a huge fan of QOTSA and semi-fan of Radiohead, I'd say that trying to chase their tone might be a bit more trouble than it's worth, mainly because -

A) QOTSA especially have changed their guitar sound from album to album, and while the emphasis is mainly on fat riffs, they use a shit load of other effects to get the tone that they do. They also have a tonne of modulation pedals that, in a live performance, they might only use for one or two songs.

B) Even if you did nail a Radiohead/QOTSA kind of sound, your tastes might change a year or so down the line, and what you want as a guitarist might be completely different. 

If you want to go for purely analog pedals, I would say start with an overdrive pedal, a wah, and a delay, then build from there. Like I said, some pedals produce a really cool effect (for example, a swell from a volume pedal), but you might find that you would never use it. So for an overdrive, I recommend a Way Huge Red Llama. I have one myself and it gives a really nice, fat tone to elevate riffs into something really meaty. As for delay, you have the money to go for a Memory Man, so there's that. I don't know a massive amount about wah pedals, but I'd recommend a Vox. You might want to look at getting a reverb to take the edge off your tone as well, and if you don't already have one, a pedal tuner - it's impressive if you can tune your guitar by ear, but pedals are rarely wrong and hearing someone tune up at full volume just sounds unprofessional. 

You would probably have enough cash left over to invest in a pedal board, so I'd recommend that, as having all those pedals clunking around in a backpack just feels messy when it comes to setting up. 

If you did want to go for all the bells and whistles like flanger, phaser, etc. I would suggest getting a multi effects pedal, just so that you can get an idea of what you need, and what you don't need. Still go for the Red Llama though, as the distortion on multi effects can be a bit hit and miss.

Hope this helps, you've got a nice amount of cash to play around with there, so you have a lot of freedom in terms of what you can buy. Hopefully I'm not talking out of my ass here, and if anyone has anything to add or correct me on, feel free to do so.

EDIT: Also, try stuff before you buy it. I'm recommending stuff purely on what I've heard and what I would go for if I had the same amount to spend, but because it sounds like you're going for a bit of a weird mix of styles, the things that work for me might not work for you.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
Last edited by donender at Apr 7, 2017,
donender good solid advice across the board.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
donender

My favorite local music store sells Supros, and let me tell you, it was truly difficult to keep my eye on the prize and buy an Orange amp. They don't sound alike, but I have been hunting for an amp better for metal than my HRD for years. The Supros nearly jumped the line.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by dannyalcatraz
donender

My favorite local music store sells Supros, and let me tell you, it was truly difficult to keep my eye on the prize and buy an Orange amp.  They don't sound alike, but I have been hunting for an amp better for metal than my HRD for years.  The Supros nearly jumped the line.

To be honest I haven't had a huge deal of experience with orange amps, but last time I played one at a rehearsal, I had a hard time getting a tone I liked. Maybe I was just having a bad day but I was kind of shocked as I thought it would be right in my wheelhouse. On the topic of Supros, if I had the money to drop on one I would have a really hard time saying no to it.
WHOMP

Mesa is a good choice for vintage/high gain switchable options. Mesa offer 3 modes per channel on some of their amps my Roadster has Raw/Vintage/Modern for the gain channels, also switchable from 100w/50w on all channels individually, Reverb/Effects Loop on/off for each channel etc. very versitile.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Quote by donender
To be honest I haven't had a huge deal of experience with orange amps, but last time I played one at a rehearsal, I had a hard time getting a tone I liked. Maybe I was just having a bad day but I was kind of shocked as I thought it would be right in my wheelhouse. On the topic of Supros, if I had the money to drop on one I would have a really hard time saying no to it.

orange has its own flavor. they are not for everyone. I love both of mine. do you remember what model?

I haven't tried the supros, but I must say that the clips sound delicious.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
orange has its own flavor. they are not for everyone.  I  love both of mine. do you remember what model?

I haven't tried the supros, but I must say that the clips sound delicious.

Think it was an AD30. The place I was rehearsing at at the time had a choice of that, a Vox AC30, and a Laney VC30-212, and I think the Orange was my least favourite of the three. Gotta admit I was kind of spoilt for choice though.
WHOMP

donender

Well, I was looking for something to handle stoner/doom metal, etc., that a Fender just can't do. And that's right in Orange's kitchen. If it weren't for that, I'd have bought a Supro.

The day I bought my TH30, there was a local pro just jamming out on one. When he took a break, he, my salesman and I started talking amps. When I mentioned why I was in the store, he- like my salesman- pointed at the Orange.

Help me buy a rig    

For a second, I thought this was a crowd-funding effort.
Quote by reverb66

I wouldn't suggest buying a modeller for live use because you're stuck buying a power amp and a monitor anyway, and then having to drag all of that to shows, which ends up being more hassle than just owning a small combo in most cases. That being said, they sell a Kemper with a built in power amp - that seems like the way to go if you choose that route.  

I don't know what they have in the You Kaye, but here in sunny SoCal you can get a Carvin PM15A, currently on sale for $289. 

- System Type: Internal Active System, 15-inch 2-Way, bass-reflex
- Frequency Response: 44 Hz - 18 kHz (-10DB)
- Coverage Pattern: 90H x 30upV x 45downV
- Internal Amplifier full range: 400 Watts
- Maximum SPL: 122dB / 128dB peak
- LF Driver: 15-inch Woofer
- HF Driver: 1-inch exit 1.5-inch VC Titanium Driver
- Enclosure: Molded Polypropylene Plastic
- Mounting: 1-3/8-inch pole mount cup with clamp
- Connectors: Two XLRs (one Male, one Female), Two 1/4 TRS phone jacks, Two RCA jacks
- AC Power Requirement: 90-250VAC 50-60Hz
- Dimensions: 17.87" wide X 13.87" deep X 27.87" high
- Weight: 37.8 lbs

Add to that the weight of a modeler and you're good to go. I don't know of any combo amps that weigh 37.8 lbs or that put out 400W RMS or that have that kind of frequency response or that can be put up on a speaker stand (all the better to hear you with, my dear...).  
Quote by djaburnett1
OKAY LADS

so i will narrow this down a bit 

i want a combo under £1700

What are some great versatile combos? 
-Nice clean channel that i could use for blues/indie/funk

Meh, that's pretty easy. I have a Carvin Belair with V30's that was modified by Hasserl (Richard L Hassebrock). Open back 2x12  with a gain channel that "sounds like a vintage Marshall, but with more gain than any vintage Marshall ever had" coupled to a Fender-ish clean channel. 50W, EL84s, *very* loud, pretty lightweight. They're about $700 new, Hasserl mods are about $140 (you can do your own, of course).