My son is asking for a guitar and since he's pretty young and small, I thought a 3/4 size would be nice to learn on.

I showed him some options and he liked the Ibanez Mikro guitars
http://www.ibanez.com/usa/products/jumpstart/GRGM21.html

I just wanted to make sure there isn't a big gotcha with the 3/4 sized guitars.  If he starts to play, I'm more than willing to buy him something nicer, but I've already bought a guitar and a couple of drum sets that neither of the kids have picked up in the past, so I'm just trying to be smart with this purchase and make sure its something he can play and enjoy.
If it's an electric, I'd look at full-size for a 10-year-old, but I'd probably go for something with a 24.75" scale rather than longer. 
Easier to sell if it doesn't pan out, easy to grow into and stick with and no stigma of a "toy" guitar from his peers. 
He's plenty big enough.
maybe a fender offset? 24" scale would be easier than a strat or LP for a kid.

i personally waste money on a 3/4.. the kid is only going to grow.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by dspellman
If it's an electric, I'd look at full-size for a 10-year-old, but I'd probably go for something with a 24.75" scale rather than longer.
Easier to sell if it doesn't pan out, easy to grow into and stick with and no stigma of a "toy" guitar from his peers.
He's plenty big enough.

Quote by trashedlostfdup
maybe a fender offset? 24" scale would be easier than a strat or LP for a kid.

i personally waste money on a 3/4.. the kid is only going to grow.

I'm picking up what you're putting down.  But you can also pick up a "used" Minion for like $90.  I say "used" because they were just released for 2016.
Quote by AcousticMirror
How young is he exactly?
Just start him on tapping. He can learn chords later.

Kids adapt pretty quickly to full size instruments at all levels. Might be an issue with a tube, of course, but I was beating on a piano at 5 and played my first solo professional gig (seriously -- a 4 hour wedding reception) on piano and a Hammond spinet organ at 11. 
I would suggest a full size guitar. When I was young my first guitar was a 3/4 guitar and when I got my next one it was very hard to adapt. Hit your local guitar store, craigslist or flea market and see what you can find used. I see squire strata, epiphone Les Paul varieties, as well as many others for the 200 or less range. Coupled with a 30-40 dollar micro combo amp you can get at any music shop you should easily come in at a good price.
At 10 I'd go for a full size maybe with a 24 3/4 scale at 10 it won't be long before he is ready for a full size anyway, if you can find a good 3/4 for cheaps that is used but decent then maybe (like XanderX said a Jackson Minion for $90), but again a used full size should be affordable as well.

If you go full size just avoid any extreme shaped guitars V's, Explorer, X bodies, etc. and stick with more traditional shapes like Strat. LP, SG etc. now the extreme shaped guitar will likely appeal to a youngster but will be more difficult ergonmically to play.

Buy something traditionally shaped, buy used. A 10 year old will grow quickly into a full size guitar which means they wiill outgrow a 3/4 just as fast.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Apr 7, 2017,
I think Dean had a bunch of guitars like "baby Z" and "baby v" that are 24 3/4 scale but smaller body that might be worth looking into. 
That little girl in the video I posted has No trouble with a full scale. The problem isn't the neck it's the massive guitar body. Start them on a headless or a travel guitar.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
AcousticMirror 
steinberger? 
Quote by AcousticMirror
That little girl in the video I posted has No trouble with a full scale. The problem isn't the neck it's the massive guitar body. Start them on a headless or a travel guitar.

Not a bad idea: