So I've decided to downsize my pedal board. I'm looking for a overdrive, a tremolo and a reverb.

I currently have a strymon mobius, which has a wonderful tremolo algorithm, but I like to use tremolo in conjunction with other mod effects, and the mobius is not capable of this. For this reason I've kept a joyo tremolo on my board, but would like to upgrade to something with tap tempo and a bit more flexibility [hard/soft waveshape]. I'm pretty open to suggestions here - was thinking about the strymon flint as it would also fulfill me reverb needs. All things considered I'd probably prefer having the option of a square wave tremolo [which the strymon doesn't offer] but I don't think that's a deal breaker.

At the moment I don't have a reverb pedal. I've been gas'ing for a neunaber wet for a while but they have really limited availability in Australia, and I've never been able to hear one in person. I'm not convinced I need the more extreme options [bigsky, eventide space, empress reverb], I think I want a simpler option. Mainly I want a hall and plate that can do big long ambient but can also be backed off to be more subtle as a general purpose reverb.

The flint sounds great, but not as good as the ambient of the stereo wet. However it seems more than sufficient when backed off to a subtler level. I know it's tremolo sounds great, and I know strymon make great pedals with great resale value. Hence, I'm leaning towards the strymon. But suggestions are welcome.

For overdrives, I'm looking for a marshall in a box style pedal. I'm currently alternating between a joyo plexi drive [pretty sure it's based on a lovepedal purple plexi?], ultimate drive [based on OCD - I had a danelectro OCD clone too, but sold it as I prefered the joyo] and mooer cruncher [based on MI crunch box]. They are all pretty different - with the mooer probably being my favourite for high gain, the ultimate drive for chunky mid gain, and the plexi drive doing it's own thing.. But I was thinking of moving to just a single pedal. I guess appetite for destruction is a good approximation of what I'm aiming for tone and gain wise. I'm not well versed in my pedal options here though, so suggestions are definitely appreciated.

The strymon riverside perked my interest - especially as I could use it as a preamp, and the gain staging seems like a good idea for 'amp in a box' tones. But again - I don't know how I feel about too many strymon pedals on my board. I think it has a bit of a british character and could plausibly be the most versatile option in terms of useable gain range. But if I was going this option I'd probably hold off a while and see if they come out with a big box option soon.

The other option would be a versatile marshall in a box style pedal. Preferably something that sounds good when backed off, but mid-high gain tones are the priority. 

I don't even know if I have an issue with a majority strymon pedal board - it's probably just psychological. But I'm a bit worried that the strymon hi fidelity gloss that I associate with their pedals will be somewhat cumulative - and not in a good way. I don't mind it with the mobius, but I definitely feel that when I was running a bunch of analog mod pedals I had less of a hifi high end - and that was a positive thing on my rig with my strat. I know people complain about tone loss like this, but I liked what some of those analog pedals did in that regard. My concern is that with more strymon pedals this will get accentuated. 

My current main amp is a mesa f30 - which has wonderful clean tones, and pretty decent high gain tones, but isn't the best at mid gain crunch tones. Hence my desire for marshall in a box pedal, to add versatility and act as an extra gain 'flavour'..
I also have an egnater renegade - which does the marshally thing reasonably well but the cleans are not in the same ball park as the mesa's.

My budget for all these pedals is probably around $800 - so I'm looking at the more boutique side of things - but I'm not opposed to saving money...

tl;dr
Want a tremolo, reverb and marshall in a box overdrive. Looking at strymon options, are their any good alternatives to consider?
Suggestions?
RIP Gooze

cats
No idea on the tremolo but look at the Friedman BE-OD $200 for the Marshall in a box and a TC Electronic Hall of Fame for the Reverb.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
good but cheap is the 4 knob voodoo lab tremolo. i like mine, very tweakeable. IIRC you could find one for $70-85 and are quite common.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Reverbs...

On the inexpensive side, the Line 6 Verbzilla is surprisingly good- one of only 3 in the Tonecore line with an ongoing fan base.

The Walrus Descent does a lot of what you want, but doesn't have a Plate setting. The Blackout Effectors Cadavernous is another great one, but doesn't have

Of course, there's always other excellent stuff out there- check out Mr. Black, Catalinbread, Dr. Scientist, Caroline, Spaceman Effects and Earthquaker Devices.

And, not for the faint of heart, there's The Reverberation Machine from Death By Audio...
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
+1 for the friedman OD for Marshall style stuff.

If you want more of a TS style boost/mid gain theres loads and loads of stuff out there.

In terms of reverb, I'd say the Strymon Blue Sky (not as much functionality as the Big sky, but is still good for ambient or lesser verbs and has 2 channels).
I dont know loads about trem but have heard good things about the Flint and also the Wampler Latitude I think its called. Also the Moog minifooger sounded lovely when I tried one awhile back.
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
Quote by metalmingee
   No idea on the tremolo but look at the Friedman BE-OD $200 for the Marshall in a box and a TC Electronic Hall of Fame for the Reverb.

Haven't tried the Friedman - they have low availability here. Not too familiar with the brand, but I had access to an axefx a few months ago and it had Freidman amp models which were definitely in modified marshall territory, but I never liked them much. They were too modern sounding, with an altered mid character that I didn't get on with. Basing their amps [and definitely od pedals] based on the axefx's emulation may be unfair though, so I will check it out.
I didn't like the HoF I tried, I compared it with a boss rv6 and prefered the boss - but maybe I just need to really delve into it and play with the software to get the sounds I want...

Quote by dannyalcatraz

I think the super pulsar is probably overkill feature wise. I just want a good sounding tremolo that can do fast and choppy, slow and sultry, plus has tap tempo.   I'm not familiar with the redwitch tremolo, but I remember enjoying their fuzz pedals when I tried them so I'll definitely check it out. 
Quote by trashedlostfdup
 good but cheap is the 4 knob voodoo lab tremolo. i like mine, very tweakeable. IIRC you could find one for $70-85 and are quite common.

I'd prefer one with tap tempo

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Reverbs...

On the inexpensive side, the Line 6 Verbzilla is surprisingly good- one of only 3 in the Tonecore line with an ongoing fan base.

The Walrus Descent does a lot of what you want, but doesn't have a Plate setting.  The Blackout Effectors Cadavernous is another great one, but doesn't have

Of course, there's always other excellent stuff out there- check out Mr. Black, Catalinbread, Dr. Scientist, Caroline, Spaceman Effects and Earthquaker Devices.

And, not for the faint of heart, there's The Reverberation Machine from Death By Audio...

I'll check out the line 6 - I remember playing one of them years and back when it was new and being impressed.  The reverberation looks quite frightening, not what I want here haha. I know most of those brands, but haven't tried many of their reverbs.  
Quote by Shredx
+1 for the friedman OD for Marshall style stuff.

If you want more of a TS style boost/mid gain theres loads and loads of stuff out there.

In terms of reverb, I'd say the Strymon Blue Sky (not as much functionality as the Big sky, but is still good for ambient or lesser verbs and has 2 channels).
I dont know loads about trem but have heard good things about the Flint and also the Wampler Latitude I think its called. Also the Moog minifooger sounded lovely when I tried one awhile back.

Wampler latitude does look pretty great, and moog's stuff is excellent I'll definitely check out their trem - probably doesn't have tap tempo though.

Edit: ugh formating
RIP Gooze

cats
Last edited by mulefish at Apr 7, 2017,
I give up on formating that post, I'm not sure why it's being so weird...

Looking at most of these trem/reverb options it seems increasingly unlikely that I can do better than the flint for the price. Never really thought I'd say that about a small box strymon pedal, but most of the reverbs and trems I'm looking at are over $150US each...

Another Marshall in a box pedal I've heard good things about but never tried is the Catalinbread DLS - does anyone have any experience with this pedal?
RIP Gooze

cats
Last edited by mulefish at Apr 7, 2017,
I got your back.

There's a newish bug: if you quote something that ends with a link- like my tremolo post- you have to insert a "return" after the link within ththe quot, or the rest of your post will be gobbled up by it.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

mulefish

The Reverberation Machine is pretty gnarly. As soon as I heard the Knobs demo, I knew I wanted one. It made me want to compose a bunch of songs based on surfing extraterrestrial seas...
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extraterrestrial_liquid_water

But it can do more than that, of course...

I really like my flint. The harmonic trem is great for some movement, the photo is nice and choppy and the tube trem is just lush.
The verbs sound all very nice to my ears. Much more believable than the Dark Star I have (but the dark star is not supposed to sound realistically anyway).

I also like the option to choose if verb goes into trem or vice versa. No complaints whatsoever. I can fullheartedly recommend it.
"I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and i'm all out of bubblegum"