Poll: Are squier trems bad?
Poll Options
View poll results: Are squier trems bad?
Yes
3 60%
Fuck Off
2 40%
Voters: 5.
I just bought a used squier off some guy who wanted to learn guitar but gave up early on.
I changed the horrible rainbow strings, cleaned it up and bought a trem arm off amazon.
At first using the trem put the guitar straight out of tune, unuseable.
However after putting some graphite from a pencil into the nut the tuning stability has improved massively, it takes some massive dive bombing to put it out of tune now.

Did I get lucky with this guitar or a squier trem systems not nearly as bad as people make them out to be?
"I don't think the desire to cram a gerbil up your ass is inherently homosexual." - FrauVfromPoB
They're honestly pretty awful.

A possible reason for why the tuning stability might be okay is that the bridge is currently set up to dive only. That eradicates the need for the bridge baseplate to be of good quality because even if there's friction between the knife edges and the studs, the tension of the springs in the back of the guitar pull the bridge against the body and overcome that friction regardless.

Keeping the guitar in tune with massive dive bombing with a non-locking bridge takes a degree of luck as even if the strings are well lubricated at the nut and the string trees, there's still going to be friction from the mechanical action of the strings sliding through them just by the nature of the design. By the bridge itself being non-locking, the action of fully slackening the strings off can cause the strings to move out of their exact positioning within the string saddles before the bar was moved. Which again, causes tuning stability problems.

While friction can never be eliminated, replacing the nut with a roller string tree and a roller nut does help. As does not diving the bar so heavily that the strings can rattle around loose in their saddles.

If that level of tuning stability still isn't enough, get a Floyd Rose.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
strat tremolos aren't made for dive bombs.

if you have the trem decked it will stay in tune better but you will likely still go out of tune.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
it's not the trem but rather the nut and string trees that do you in most of the time with a Fender style trem. a properly cut nut and making sure the strings are in as straight a line as possible will help a great deal in tuning stability. they weren't designed for crazy dive bombs so if that is what you want to do then a locking trem is a better idea. string trees keep the stings in the nut slots but are also a point of friction. staggered tuners will eliminate the need for string trees. 

i prefer my trems to float as a quick yank will usually unkink strings at the nut. with a little practice you can keep your guitar reasonably in tune. 
I played with my Bullet's trem and it went south pretty fast. If I want whammy action, I'd wait for something good...preferably a Floyd.

Now, to be fair, I only have trems on two of my guitars, and both are low-end models. That said, even on my beloved Washburn RX10 with a Tusq nut, the trem knocked shit out of tune pretty fast, and that was the last time I had the bar in. I've heard positive things about PRS non-locking trems, but even then, I'd rather have a good Floyd instead.
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.

justinguitar.com is the answer