For an A5 humbucker, I like my Seymour Duncan '59n pickup, but the more I listen to vintage voiced pickups made with A3s and A4s, etc, the more sterile I've found it. But my guitar is an SG, a notoriously dark guitar. I'm calling on all-mahogany guitar players, based on your experience have you found that A3 and/or A4s are muddy or do you find they work just as well as in brighter guitars?
Last edited by andersondb7 at Apr 8, 2017,
I can't answer your question directly, but if you're looking for a brighter vintage guitar tone, TV Jones might be your ticket to happiness.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
first i will admit that I am not a magnet buff.

but magnets are just part of the equation when it comes to pickups. Number of windings is one thing, gauge of the wire, pole pieces, and even covers all add up regarding how the pickup will sound.

Could you tell us more specifically what you were looking for and what amp you're running it into?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
first i will admit that I am not a magnet buff.

but magnets are just part of the equation when it comes to pickups. Number of windings is one thing, gauge of the wire, pole pieces, and even covers all add up regarding how the pickup will sound.

Swapping out the magnet isn't going to make a major difference, but a very minor one. 
Second, solid mahogany guitars are not (repeat, NOT) "notoriously dark."  Internet Mythology.  
I have far too many solid mahogany guitars staring me in the face right this very second that will give lie to that description. 
Magnets can dramatically change the EQ of a pickup. 
Dave @ Seymour Duncan
Quote by Mincer

Are you talking "dramatically change" when you're talking A5 vs A4?
Quote by Mincer

Which of these statements would you agree with?

A2 - Lots of mids, not much treble, loose low end, low output, and lots of vintage dynamics.  Used in the bridge and neck.  

A3 - Like an A2 but with more treble and less low end.  Pretty  much used in the neck slot, but has potential for fattening up the  bridge.  

A4 - Flat EQ, and for that reason some consider it bland.  Lets  the natural EQ of the guitar and PU come thru.  Moderate output.  Good  in the neck or bridge.

A5 - Most popular alnico.  Fairly high output, lots of treble and  bass, scooped mids.  Great in the neck slot (if not too bassy), and can  be thin in the bridge.  

All of these can be found as 'roughcast' too (lumpy pitted  surfaces), that smooth out the high end, probably due to a more complex  magnetic field.  RC's are probably used mostly in the bridge location.  

A2, A3, and A4 are all unoriented.  A5's are almost always  oriented.  Unoriented A5's (UOA5) became available recently from  Addiction FX and sound like a blend of the best characteristics of A2's  and A5's.  They're much warmer than a typical A5, but with more treble  than an A2.  Lots of dynamics.
I agree with A2. The A3 sounds really weak and bland to me. 

A4s are a little cutting in a PAF. I agree with your assessment of A5. For instance, a Jazz (A5) is tight and scooped. Add an A2, it becomes an Alnico II Pro, which has wonderful mids and a loose bottom. 

A Custom has a ceramic (hot and brash). Add an A2, and it is a Custom Custom (my fave) with great mids. Add an A5 and it is a Custom 5, which is seriously scooped and tight. I use a Custom 5 in a poplar bodied Music Man that sounds like mud with most pickups. 

If I have a choice I like A2 for almost everything...but I also like roughcast A5, as it takes away some of the upper harmonics which sound a little harsh to me. 
Dave @ Seymour Duncan