I recently picked up a Vox Pathfinder 10 amp and a Boss DS-1 and it doesnt sound all that good. I am fairly new to guitar playing so I dont really know what to do to get it to sound better. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 
What type of distortion tone are you trying to get?

Unfortunately there's a fair chance the answer is, "You need to buy more expensive, more suitable, gear."

The pathfinder is actually pretty nice for getting a voxy sound on the cheap, and the ds1 can sound decent for certain things with certain amps, but there's a fair chance that neither the pedal nor the amp is really what you need.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
twistshadow9 The Pathfinder's SS nature will not react properly to the OD signal from the DS-1. Using a tube amp instead will likely get you better results. However, if you are trying to get metal levels of gain out of the Pathfinder, you have the wrong kind of amp entirely. I would only use an amp like the Pathfinder for clean to crunch levels of distortion. Until you could get some more suitable equipment, I would try to use just the Pathfinder, and save the DS-1 use for when you snag a proper tube amp.
Dave_Mc I am wanting to get a tone like what they have in Metallica songs. 

Will Lane Yeah alright I guess I will save for a tube amp. Do you know of any cheap but good tube amps? But for the mean time do you know if I can get good sounds out of the Pathfinder ? 
Last edited by twistshadow9 at Apr 8, 2017,
Quote by twistshadow9
Will Lane Yeah alright I guess I will save for a tube amp. Do you know of any cheap but good tube amps? But for the mean time do you know if I can get good sounds out of the Pathfinder ? 
Metallica out of the Pathfinder? I'd say no, sorry friend. You could try bumping the gain up and using your bridge pickup on the guitar. Keep the EQ controls flat (pointing at 12 o'clock) at first and then adjust how you need. I would not try to use the DS-1 with it.

Cheap tube amps that could get you where you want to go, most often suggested are Jet City Models and the Peavey Valveking, look used and save some money. You may also be satisfied with SS modeling amps like the Peavey Vypyr, but I wouldn't use the DS-1 with that amp either.
Quote by twistshadow9
Will Lane Would you recommend any of the Vox Valvetronic amps ? 
For getting metal tones compared to the Pathfinder, the Valvetronix would likely be better. But VOX is moreso a clean/crunch kind of amp company, their higher-gain sounds leave a bit to be desired. The Peavey Vypyr would do it better. Other options are the Boss Katana, Yamaha THR10X, and Spider V.
Will Lane Like a Katana 50 ? I might be in a position to buy one of them.

Also the guitar that I am using is the Ibanez GRG250.
Last edited by twistshadow9 at Apr 8, 2017,
yep pretty much what Will Lane said. the pathfinder is actually pretty nice, just totally wrong for the tones you want (I bought the 15 watt version when I started playing ). You don't necessarily have to step up to tube amps to get something which will be a good bit better for what you want- those modellers, as he said, for example.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If you don't have the funds for a new amp at the moment the clean channel on the Pathfinder and a metal distortion pedal (not a DS-1) are the closest you will get for decent metal tones.
OP, how about the amp itself without the pedal, it seems to have overdrive push down button?
Dial that for crunch then try the pedal for light gain to take it over the top.
Maybe just the amp itself will overdrive for what you need if you move gain to maximum.
Boss Katana has been gaining traction as a rather good modeling amp (no personal experience, just some youtube recordings) so i'm sure it will blow your mind away coming from a Vox.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3