Page 1 of 2
What do you guys think of the Fender Hot Rod Deville? I'm thinking of maybe getting one cause you can find them for pretty cheap used, and it would be nice to have some American sounds in my rig. Any thoughts?
Roc8995

Who cares if it was in the wrong thread? Why can't someone just reply to it? Literally no one replies to my threads and it's so annoying lol
They're cheap because they're not great - it's a functional amp but lacks the magic of their other better amps.

I owned the 2x12 for about 5 years - it's too loud so you can never reach the natural breakup point - that's the amp's main weakness. Still has good cleans and takes pedals pretty well. The reverb is atrocious
Though - basically unuseable.

You need a reverb pedal with that amp .

I wouldn't recomment that amp unless it's all you can afford.
I like em.  I think it is a solid gig rig if Fender clean is on your want list.  Larry Carlton toured Europe with one for 5 years and left his Dumble at home.  Not for everybody and the OD channel is pretty lame but the clean channel goes head to head with a Blackface Twin Reverb.  That is no slouch amp in my book.

Others will certainly have different opinions...
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
They are what they are,  Have that nice Fender clean tone, but if looking for an American Peavey, Mesa, Soldano, Kustom or other tone I'd avoid it, 
look into music man amps.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I guess I'll have to play one and hear how it sounds.

Any amps that could get something like this sound? (sorry about the terrible quality): ;
reverb66 I don't really use reverb, and can't you just turn the master volume down and the drive down? I won't use it for heavy distortion, that will come from pedals (a Wampler Slostortion, Pro Co Rat, and Moog MF Drive are my main drive pedals).
trashedlostfdup I've heard them. The cleans sound great, but can they breakup like in the video I linked without blowing your head up? In other words, do they have a drive channel (or channel volume) and a master volume knob?
They have a drive channel and it was terrible when i owned it, but i think they've improved it on the newer versions. I used pedals for my overdrive sounds with that amp. Research that issue - i think there is a specific year that they changed the drive channel.
you won't get a music man to break up until you level the block. the OD isn't great, they are clean machines.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by kaiburns1
trashedlostfdup Yeah, that's not really what I'm looking for then. Whenever I need some really good Fender style cleans though, I'll look into them.

you do realize that the HRD would make you deaf long before you get powertubes to distort also, right?

if you want breakup go for a DRRI.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
trashedlostfdup

The Hot Rod Deville has a drive channel. Isn't that breakup?

DRRI's are a bit too expensive for me. The only drive I want from the amp is about the same amount as in the video I linked.
Last edited by kaiburns1 at Apr 9, 2017,
the OD channel of the HRD sucks.

You would be best using a boost in front of a clean amp.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
trashedlostfdup Here, let me ask a better question:

Can the OD channel of the Hot Rod Deville get the sound I linked? If not, then what amp can? (without blowing your ears off)
Quote by kaiburns1
trashedlostfdup Here, let me ask a better question:

Can the OD channel of the Hot Rod Deville get the sound I linked? If not, then what amp can? (without blowing your ears off)

I haven't played a HRD in years, i just remember that the od is atrocious.

just put a ts in front with a tiny bit of gain and put it out front. add reverb and you are close enough.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
you should just demo one then you would know.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
you should just demo one then you would know.

The only way to really demo any amp is to rent one, take it to a gig, put it in the backline, and play it for real. It's not going to sound the same in a music store as it will in a performance venue. Then again, it won't sound the same in every venue, either. 
Yes, a HRD will do the guitar tone in your link.  A Blues Jr, and SuperChamp will do it as well.  Clean channel with a TS9 or OCD in front for a little dirt.  As I said I like the HRD but it is a lotta amp if you are not gigging.  60 lbs of loudass tube Fender.  The BJr and SC are a lot more manageable for a bedroom player or small pub gigs.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Cajundaddy Alright, thanks for the help! I'll try one out sometime and let you guys know what I think of it. It might be in a while, because I have to wait until I'm done building my Peavey Wolfgang replica.
Quote by kaiburns1
gerdner I don't really play gigs yet, could I play with a backing track?

You can do whatever you want. I was only referring to trying out an amplifier. Giving an amp a demo in a music store isn't really the best way to see how it sounds, or to determine if you are going to like it or not. Neither is giving it a test drive with a backing track. The best advice I can give you is to buy the best rated amp you can afford, with the understanding that as you get used to it, as you play through it, as you adjust the EQ and other tone settings, and as you improve your personal skills at playing, you'll get used to the amp. When you're ready to actually use it for real and not just for practice, you'll find it either suits you, or it doesn't. If you bought a mainstream make and model of amp, with a reasonably good aftermarket demand for used versions, you can always sell the amp you don't like and then buy one you like better. Buy some boutique brand that a few internet folks recommend, but that have little to no demand on the used market, and you'll have an amp you're pretty much stuck with. Now, if you can buy a Hot Rod Deville used easily, that should tell you that you'll be able to sell a Hot Rod Deville easily after you've used it.

I've said this in thread after thread, and I'll say it again in here. "Tone" is a subjective, personal thing. What you like someone else might not. Asking, "What amp has the best tone?" is like asking, "What chocolate bar tastes best?" And never forget (as most people seem to) that what song you play is at least as important as your "tone". No magical tone will compensate for a terrible tune.  
Last edited by gerdner at Apr 9, 2017,
gerdner Yep, I know all of this. I just want to get some American sounds like that in my rig, and I just want to know if the Deville can do that. I'll test it out the best I can Thanks for the help.
If you want good cleans and good drive in one box from Fender... look for an early 00's Fender Pro Tube Pro Reverb.  A slightly more pricey and harder to find option would be the Fender made Sunn T50C which is very similar to the Pro Tube Pro Reverb.  A few circuit differences, cosmetics, and a different stock speaker separate the two.  

The Hot Rod series of amplifiers can be improved with a few tweaks... stock form leaves a bit to be desired for some folks.

Speaker needs to be upgraded from the stock Fender Special Design.  I like the Eminence Private Jack or other higher wattage 'Greenback' style speakers in the Hot Rod series of amplifiers.  That's my own personal preference though.  
Volume Potentiometer needs to be switched from the stock linear to an audio taper.
Switching the V1 to a lower gain 12au7 / 12at7 / 12ay7 improves the drive tone and also makes the over-all volume more controllable as well.  
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
fender already makes an amp with a great clean channel and great distortion.
it's called the 5150 III
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
I've heard good things about the new Fender Bassbreakers. Supposed to have a similar clean channel and much better drive channel. 
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Most_Triumphant I've tried them. It doesn't have a gain/drive/channel volume knob so to get drive you have to turn the master volume up... which is no good. It would be way too loud
Page 1 of 2