Fender Standard Dimension Bass

My birthday was a couple of days ago so I decided to buy a new bass. My old Thunderbird is neck heavy which has bothered me for a longer time. Sometimes after playing for some time my wrist gets tired, and I guess some of it has to do with my technique, but I don't think the unergonomic design of the Thunderbird helps and I'm pretty sure correcting technique will be easier on a more ergonomic instrument. So I thought it was time to get a new bass. (This is not the only reason why I wanted a new bass, though, but it was a good reason to justify the purchase. )

So why did I choose this particular bass? I tried some Jazz and Precision basses, but they just didn't feel right to me. Maybe I have got too used to resting my thumb on the bridge pickup, and the pickup placement on those basses didn't work for me. On the other hand, the pickup on this bass was just in the right spot which made it easy to play. I also preferred the neck of this bass to the Jazz and Precision basses I tried. It felt easy to play, not awkward at all. The same can't be said about the other basses that I tried. Nothing wrong with them, but it just felt like I would need some time to get used to those basses. Something about the Dimension Bass just felt familiar right away.

My bass is made in Mexico and has passive electronics. It's a really simple bass with just one pickup, and volume and tone controls. Kind of like a P-bass, but the pickup is placed a bit closer to the bridge. It might benefit from an active EQ to give it a bit more tonal variety. Then again, I prefer passive electronics.

I can see why this bass may not appeal to many people (it's not a classic like Precision or Jazz and it kind of seems like a cheapish Music Man rip off with little tonal variety), but I would recommend trying it.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
I like the Dimension bass.  It's a bit on the pricey side, but it looks and plays like a winner.  HNBD!  Enjoy the hell out of it!
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Sweet

Nice colour, what is it?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Nice! HNBD.  I have to agree with Dave_Mc that the color is sweet. 

I'm interested in your comments on the neck though.  I haven't had a chance to try a Dimension--how is the neck different than Precisions and Jazz basses? 
Quote by anarkee
Nice! HNBD.  I have to agree with Dave_Mc that the color is sweet. 

I'm interested in your comments on the neck though.  I haven't had a chance to try a Dimension--how is the neck different than Precisions and Jazz basses? 

It was closer to Precision than Jazz. I don't remember how exactly it differed from the Precision neck. It was pretty much the same size. I don't think the playability had everything to do with the neck, though (even though I did prefer the neck over both Jazz and Precision). I think it also had to do with the pickup placement (because as I said, I usually rest my thumb on the Thunderbird's bridge pickup). It would have taken some time to get used to Jazz or Precision. The Dimension was closer to what I was used to.

Quote by Dave_Mc
Sweet

Nice colour, what is it?

Ghost Silver
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by MaggaraMarine

Ghost Silver

Nice I thought it was maybe burgundy mist or something similar, but now you say it's silver I think that's just light reflecting off the finish. Silver's even more awesome
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Enjoy it, it looks lovely!
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Nice one Mags, I'd like to get a "simpler" bass like that as well, something that doesn't have the 7 knobs my main bass has Not sure if this one would be my style though, how does the pickup sound? Congrats anyway
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
Quote by Kevätuhri
Nice one Mags, I'd like to get a "simpler" bass like that as well, something that doesn't have the 7 knobs my main bass has Not sure if this one would be my style though, how does the pickup sound? Congrats anyway

The pickup sounds fine. My Thunderbird has a pretty weak sounding bridge pickup, but this one sounds pretty powerful. Bridge pickup sound in general is not my favorite bass sound and I'm pretty sure I would prefer the sound if the pickup was placed a bit closer to the neck (though I would also find it more awkward to play - to me playability definitely comes first and sound second, and I bought this bass because it felt right in my hands). Maybe it sounds a bit too "modern" to my taste, but I can live with it and rolling off some of the tone helps. I would be interested in hearing how it would sound like with flatwounds.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115