Mamma mia :0
2 25%
Mehhhh :\
5 63%
You're a monster >:[
1 13%
Voters: 8.
Hey peeps

I picked up a used G400 for dirt cheap.  It plays well and sounds good, but the finish had a couple chips and quite a few dings, so I decided to give it a light relic job.  I was going for a VOS look and I think I achieved that on the finish.  As for the chrome hardware, my only option was to scuff it up with scotchbrite because I didn't want to deal with harsh acids.  If I had a sandblaster, I could get a more frosty or tarnished look but oh well.. someday.  If you have better ideas for dulling chrome please share!

Last edited by Grlzzly at Apr 11, 2017,
In my opinion, (and it can only be my opinion) it's a fail.

This guy explains why pretty well.

Reliced guitars should be something the owner earns. And anything less than that is fraudulent.

Another problem is if the s/n shows that the guitar was built far more recently than the appearance of the guitar would suggest, then it's immediately apparent to anyone that the guitar has had a fake relic job. Not good.

But all the same, enjoy your guitar.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
I agree. If you want to put some age on it, play the shit out of it. Break some strings, throw it up against a wall vs a stand, leave it out instead of a case/gig bag. Etc
I don't see the point in getting all soulful about some dents in wood and plastic finishes, it honestly seems ridiculous to me. I'm sure plenty of those dings such-and-such player "earned" were some pillock accidentally dropping a screwdriver or whatever as often as they were hard playing (which doesn't do all that much to the finish).

As far as this one is concerned, what you did to the chrome is reasonably convincing judging by the photos, though it doesn't look "vintage" or anything, just a reasonably well-used modern guitar. The finish just looks like an Epiphone finish with a couple small dents - I'm not really sure what you did to it.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
33db yeah i'm really happy with it.

K33nbl4d3
I went over the finish with 3000 grit sandpaper, followed 6000 grit micromesh, then some polish for a VOS-type haze

guitarkid8
T00DEEPBLUE
I see.. The thing is epiphone guitars are finished in polyurethane and fitted with chrome hardware, which dont age like the original gibson nitro finishes and nickel hardware... so while my epiphone did have some authentic wear in the form of dings and chips, the fact that the polyurethane and chrome didnt age accordingly looks wierd... especially considering its supposed to be a copy of a gibson... just my two cents
Quote by von Layzonfon
I applaud you for avoiding using 'relic' as a verb and therefore making a pig's ear of the spelling like everyone seems to.

Relicked means "licked again?"  

[h]English[/h]

Etymology 1
Noun
relick (plural relicks)

1. Archaic form of relic.

Etymology 2
re- +‎ lick
Verb
relick (third-person singular simple present relicks, present participle relicking, simple past and past participle relicked)

Last edited by dspellman at Apr 11, 2017,
    Quote by Grlzzly
    33db yeah i'm really happy with it.

K33nbl4d3
    I went over the finish with 3000 grit sandpaper, followed 6000 grit micromesh, then some polish for a VOS-type haze

guitarkid8
    T00DEEPBLUE
    I see.. The thing is epiphone guitars are finished in polyurethane and fitted with chrome hardware, which dont age like the original gibson nitro finishes and nickel hardware... so while my epiphone did have some authentic wear in the form of dings and chips, the fact that the polyurethane and chrome didnt age accordingly looks wierd... especially considering its supposed to be a copy of a gibson... just my two cents

Never makes sense to me to attempt to make a new guitar look old, particularly when the new guitar isn't using the same finishes as the old guitar it's trying to emulate. Why not just hang around 50 years and see how polyester and chrome really DO age, as opposed to trying to make it look like nitro and nickel?
    Quote by Grlzzly

T00DEEPBLUE

But the fact that Epiphones don't use anything like the same finishes as the Gibsons of the 60's, it makes it even more evident that it's a fake relic when it appears to be aged in the same fashion a nitro finished guitar would be. It makes such an aesthetic on such a guitar all the more pretentious.
    Quote by Axelfox
    Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
    Quote by Grlzzly
    T00DEEPBLUE I would prefer a decent relic job over the "beat-up copy guitar" look any day.

What's the difference?
    Quote by Axelfox
    Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
    I still don't see a difference.

I dislike fake relic guitars on principle. And making a guitar look like it's been aged in a way it could never do naturally defeats whole point of it being a relic when you actually think about it.

Just my opinion of course.
    Quote by Axelfox
    Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
    Quote by dspellman
    Relicked means "licked again?"  

[h]English[/h]

Etymology 1
    Noun
    relick (plural relicks)

1. Archaic form of relic.

Etymology 2
    re- +‎ lick
    Verb
    relick (third-person singular simple present relicks, present participle relicking, simple past and past participle relicked)

Indeed, relic is not a verb but I think it's inescapable now so if we're going to do it we should do it properly, including reassigning relick to re-lick. It's all in my blog post.
      Quote by Grlzzly
      T00DEEPBLUE whatever, i love my axe even more now and no amount of convoluted reasoning can assuage that :P

You did ask... (Epiphone G400 relic job - success? )

BTW, I do not think that word means what you think it means. 

as·suageəˈswāj/verbverb: assuage; 3rd person present: assuages; past tense: assuaged; past participle: assuaged; gerund or present participle: assuaging

1. to make milder or less severe; relieve; ease; mitigate: to assuage one's grief; to assuage one's pain.

2.  to appease; satisfy; allay; relieve: to assuage one's hunger.

3.  to soothe, calm, or mollify: to assuage his fears; to assuage her anger.
      Last edited by dspellman at Apr 11, 2017,
      dspellman my love is an inward-burning wound. so yes, it applies

and Yes, I asked... even for the shitty opinions XD XD XD

sorry im very cynical
      Quote by Grlzzly
      Well it's not too visible in the photos but I imagine it looks good in person
      Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
      Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
      3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
      I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
      Quote by Grlzzly
      dspellman my love is an inward-burning wound. so yes, it applies

and Yes, I asked... even for the shitty opinions XD XD XD

sorry im very cynical

You asked for my opinion and you got an honest answer. You have no room to complain.

And I also don't think 'cynical' means what you think it means either.
      Quote by Axelfox
      Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R