Okay so this is kind of a two part question.
My bandmate kind of pissed me off the other day when I told them that I had started writing a new song that I thought should be slower and maybe have acoustic. They then proceeded to say "it wouldn't sound lie *insert local screamo band here*, who we will be playing a gig with in the coming future. We are heavy, but we are no where near as heavy as this band. So far, we've written about 4 songs, all of varying sound. Only one of them is slow, but not acoustic. All the rest are fucking fast. 

Well the song I was writing sounds like it should be clean and slow at points and heavy at others. I don't see anything wrong with a heavy band having a slow/acoustic song once in a while. 

So the questions are:

1.) Can heavy bands have slow/acoustic songs once in a while?
2.) Do you need to have a similar genre/sound to the bands you are playing with at gigs?
Quote by xMCR.for.Lifex
1.) Can heavy bands have slow/acoustic songs once in a while?

Yes, although performing them live can be hit and miss.

Quote by xMCR.for.Lifex
2.) Do you need to have a similar genre/sound to the bands you are playing with at gigs?

Usually yes. If you are playing metal or hardcore and all night the crowd is hearing metal and hardcore, putting in a ballad might be a bad idea. Not to say you shouldn't be unique, but vary your setlist depending on the venue and the other bands. If you are supporting a hard rock band then it might work, if you are supporting a deathcore band then it won't.

Slipknot are one example I can think of, unless recently they changed their view on this, but they never played Snuff live because it wouldn't fit their live show. It's still a great song, and it works on the album, but what works on the album isn't necessarily going to work live.
My bandmate kind of pissed me off the other day when I told them that I had started writing a new song that I thought should be slower and maybe have acoustic. They then proceeded to say "it wouldn't sound lie *insert local screamo band here*, who we will be playing a gig with in the coming future.

Sounds like your bandmates are judging the song before they have even heard it. Why not just finish the song, record a demo and show it to your bandmates? If they still don't like it, then you don't have to play it. Not every song you write will fit the style of your band.

Whether you should play the song on a particular gig is another question. But just because it might not be the best song choice for a particular gig doesn't mean you should never play it.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
All I'm going to say is that if you refer to it as heavy metal/screamo as if they were even close to the sane thing probably means that you don't know what either term means and you probably shouldn't use the term screamo until you actually know what it means. Hint -- none of the following are screamo: Avenged Sevenfold, Cannibal Corpse, Bring Me the Horizon, Slayer, Slipknot, Bullet for My Valentine, Attack Attack!, Linkin Park, Koяn, etc.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.