So my co-guitarist just recently got himself a Peavey Bandit 112. He's been playing on a Fender Mustang before but we could barely hear him. So while the sound itself is really cool, the amp produces some really nasty hiss and feedback when turned up louder. I for my part play on my Valve King 112, which is already 6 years old. I play it practically vanilla. I only use a Weeping Demon and a cheap Harley Benton noise gate. Other than that I use the dummy jack mod (¼” jack plug converter in the high-gain input, guitar in the low-gain input) and the FX loop patch mod (simply a 15 cm patch cable in the FX loop). My noise gate settings are quite low. It only filters as much as necessary and keeps my tone unaffected as possible. 

Now to my co-guitarist: He has a Zoom Multieffect Pedal, which comes with several digital onboard noisegates, but they suck donkeyballs. I tried using my noisegate both between the amp and guitar as well as in the FX loop. Then I also did the dummy jack mod, just to test it out. And in the end, both the noise gate in the fx loop and the dummy jack mod DO improve things a bit, but he still has this insane amount of hiss and feedback. Later my bassist and I figured out that a cable was somehow responsible for part of the hissing, but not for all of it. So far, I don't think it's the EQ-settings because I've set them quite conservatively: Modern voicing, Pre-Gain 3/10, Low 3/10, Mid 8/10, High 7/10, Post-Gain 7/10, Reverb 0/10 and Boost 10/10. I also tried fiddling with the Boost and Post-Gain controls in one or the other direction, trying to clean things up but still keeping the volume. 

So do you people have any idea what else might be the source of the problem? All help is appreciated

Dragonfyre
Ibanez S570DXQM-BBB
DiMarzio Evolution HSH
Ibanez RG927WBBZ-TGF
DiMarzio Evolution 7 & DiMarzio LiquiFire 7
Peavey Valve King 112, Peavey Vypyr 15
Harley Benton NG-100, Ibanez Weeping Demon

Quote by metalmingee
In fact, wanting different tunings is one of the best reasons to convince others that you need more guitars.
Zoom into a Bandit is probably a no go.  The front end of that amp was not designed to take a DMFX pedal and is probably heavily overloaded especially on the Lead channel.  I suspect gain, boost, and post gain will all have to be set very low if this is to work at all.  Zoom is designed to go into a pristine clean amp with no input gain or dirt at all.  They may not be compatible.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Apr 10, 2017,
We night try that again, but as I said, we tried replacing the Zoom with my Harley Benton Noise Gate. It was originally a cheap noise gate (25 &euro from Thomann but it does a splendid job. There was a difference, but only a small one.
Ibanez S570DXQM-BBB
DiMarzio Evolution HSH
Ibanez RG927WBBZ-TGF

Quote by metalmingee
In fact, wanting different tunings is one of the best reasons to convince others that you need more guitars.
I think Cajundaddy gave you the correct answer. I have a Digitech RP500 that I use with a VOX amp.The Vox is a VT40 modeling amp and is already loaded with it's own effects so the only way to get a good sound from the Digitech RP500 is to use an ultra clean setting on the VOX with no additional effects.I make a patch with low gain and the master volume high. Loud and clean and let the Digitech do my effects and distortions. Then again that is what I bought the Digitech for. 
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Apr 11, 2017,
I'm not trying to be ungrateful here, but as I said: When I replace the digital Zoom pedal with my own noisegate, the problem is still there. The noise is slightly reduces, but only slightly. The difference is minimal.
Ibanez S570DXQM-BBB
DiMarzio Evolution HSH
Ibanez RG927WBBZ-TGF

Quote by metalmingee
You have a input gain mismatch problem.  This is not possible to overcome with any noise gate.  It's the wrong tool for the job.  Get your gain matched first as I posted above and the noise is gone.  No noise gate needed. 
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Dragonfyre137 Hey look, you're quoting me!   

Anyway, the boost set to 10/10 is where I would start looking. You're saying that you have this hiss with the Zoom removed correct?  

What type of guitar is he using?  Single Coils?  
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Cajundaddy  And how would I do that? Sorry for the noobish question, but as I said I never had this kind of issue before... 

metalmingee Yup, the problem is also persistent with the Zoom removed. Putting my Harley Benton noisegate into the effects loop helps a bit, but only a little bit. I don't know the exact model he's using, but it's an LTD superstrat with a fixed bridge and two humbuckers. We also once plugged his guitar into my setup and there was no such noise.
Ibanez S570DXQM-BBB
DiMarzio Evolution HSH
Ibanez RG927WBBZ-TGF

Quote by metalmingee
Dragonfyre137 Was the Bandit used?

I'd start with cleaning all of the jacks with electrical contact cleaner like DeOxit D5 - spray down a cable and then insert it a few times.

Are any of the knobs scratchy or have dead spots? If so take off the plastic knob and spray pot with contact cleaner and rotate it through the entire range of motion a few times.

Make sure you unplug the power before cleaning anything on the amp.

Try a different power cable and wall outlet - preferably a different circuit if available.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
metalmingee those are some good suggestions, I will make sure to try them next time we rehearse (usually on saturday, but we're skipping it on easter). The amp is brand new, so you can imagine that I'm wondering a bit.

diabolical yes, the amp has an fx loop. I tried to use the noisegate both between the git and the amp and in the fx loop. It helps more when the noise gate is in the fx loop, but there's still a lot of noise.
Ibanez S570DXQM-BBB
DiMarzio Evolution HSH
Ibanez RG927WBBZ-TGF

Quote by metalmingee
Are you using the Zoom on the clean channel?  Because if you are using it on the crunch channel then you can expect the problems you are having.  Sounds like your problem is using the crunch channel with the gain turned up too much.
I'd suggest bypassing that amp's preasmp section completely.
So guitar - Zoom - fx return of Bandit

Then adjust the internal noise gate of the Zoom. If you have external noise gate pedal you can try that right after the guitar.

Is the guitar singles coil? Sounds like you might be piling up too much gain.
Quote by diabolical
I'd suggest bypassing that amp's preasmp section completely.
So guitar - Zoom - fx return of Bandit

Then adjust the internal noise gate of the Zoom. If you have external noise gate pedal you can try that right after the guitar.

Is the guitar singles coil? Sounds like you might be piling up too much gain.

^^ This exactly!  Use the amp as a powered speaker to amplify the Zoom only and turn all the input gain knobs to zero.

fly135 Nope, we are using the zoom in the lead channel. We tried all three voicings (vintage, modern and high gain) and the problem still persists. As I already mentioned, we also tried using my noise gate instead of the zoom and the improvement was barely noticable. I don't think we have too much gain. As you see in the initial post, it's 3/10.

diabolical Bypassing the preamp sounds like a really intersting idea. I will try it next saturday. Oh, and the guitar is an ESP LTD with humbuckers. And as I said, the gain is at 3/10.
Ibanez S570DXQM-BBB
DiMarzio Evolution HSH
Ibanez RG927WBBZ-TGF

Quote by metalmingee
The lead channel is the crunch channel.  Stop using it with the Zoom.  And it sounds like you have the gain turned up too much.  That causes hiss and feedback.  Even 3 of 10 can be too much.  I agree with using the FX return with the Zoom.