I am not sure which modulation pedal fists my board/ style. I have a Fender Micro compressor, EHX Crayon overdrive, ProCo You Dirty RAT, MXR Carbon Copy. I play blues, rock and funk. Occasionally I play with a brass band too. I need 1 versatile modulation pedal.

Modulation pedals I have are: Boss TR2 tremolo, EHX Small Clone and MXR Phase 90. I also have MXR Micro Flanger but I do not think it fits most of the stuff I play.
you just need to think what fx would you use the most and on what songs.  personally i'd look at a wha considering what you play 
Quote by monwobobbo
you just need to think what fx would you use the most and on what songs.  personally i'd look at a wha considering what you play 

I do not play the same songs. I need something as versatile as possible. I do not like to use the wah, it feels awkward operating it by foot.
So you want a multi effect pedal? Various modulation types are so different (flange, trem, vibe, chorus, phaser) that I don't think one is any more versitile than any other.
www.facebook.com/yourbadinfluence
Quote by Gab_Azz
I do not play the same songs. I need something as versatile as possible. I do not like to use the wah, it feels awkward operating it by foot.

ok but still you have to look at the songs you are playing or thinking about playing to determine what you need. for instance a tremolo is great if your playing Pink Floyds Money but i can't think of much more i' use it for. a flange is good for 80s metal and a few other things i can think of but no so much for blues or funk. dude no wah and you play funk???? wow thought it would be mandatory. takes a little practce but i love mine and consider it essential. i'm a phaser guy myself so perhaps you might look into them
Quote by monwobobbo
ok but still you have to look at the songs you are playing or thinking about playing to determine what you need. for instance a tremolo is great if your playing Pink Floyds Money but i can't think of much more i' use it for. a flange is good for 80s metal and a few other things i can think of but no so much for blues or funk. dude no wah and you play funk???? wow thought it would be mandatory. takes a little practce but i love mine and consider it essential. i'm a phaser guy myself so perhaps you might look into them

Tremolo is also very good for country (particularly Western movie soundtrack sounding stuff) and surf rock, although it is not really useful without an expression pedal to control the speed. Like try hitting a big Em chord with a long spring reverb and slowly speed up or slow down the tremolo speed as the chord rings.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by monwobobbo

Yeah tremolo is useful to sound like old blues. A phaser is really cool for rock and can sound like a wah. A chorus is really versatile and works for rock but not so sure for blues. Yeah the flanger sounds too much 80s. We do not play funk really. More of blues or rock influenced by funk.
some of the more involved flanger pedals can sort of do the other modulation tones. i'm not sure if the mini flanger can, though, since it only has the two knobs.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The Subdecay Starlight MkII is pretty flexible as flangers go, and can mimic some other pedals. Good phasers, likewise.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
What's your budget?  The most obvious choice, if you can afford it, is the Eeventide H9 - grab the basic one and load up the algos you need.  That's what I intend to do soon - I don't want 5 pedals that I'm only going to use once every three gigs, so the H9 can handle all the random stuff I don't use often, plus you can save presets and name them - so you can  organize the banks to your gigs. 

Sell your other mod pedals to help finance it and it may not cost too much.

Quote by reverb66
What's your budget?  The most obvious choice, if you can afford it, is the Eeventide H9 - grab the basic one and load up the algos you need.  That's what I intend to do soon - I don't want 5 pedals that I'm only going to use once every three gigs, so the H9 can handle all the random stuff I don't use often, plus you can save presets and name them - so you can  organize the banks to your gigs. 

Sell your other mod pedals to help finance it and it may not cost too much.

No budget, I would like to use one of the pedals I already own. I am placing a modulation pedal to add a bit of movement/texture to the music I play if required . Also, I have little space available on the board, the small clone is the biggest I can fit and it only fits as the connections are not at the sides. I forgot I also have a TC Corona Chorus.
Gab_Azz Have you used the TonePrint editor for your TC Corona?  There are a ton of sounds you can get out of it.  Scroll through the Toneprints to get an idea and then go crazy with the editor.  
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Based on what you have the TC seems like the best choice - you can either set it for a subtle effect or go full Scofield ( i.e. extreme settings to make it sound like a faux organ - see John Scofield A Go Go album)
Quote by dannyalcatraz
The Subdecay Starlight MkII is pretty flexible as flangers go, and can mimic some other pedals. Good phasers, likewise.

that's a fair point, I haven't tried any of the more involved phasers I just know that there was an article in the tone report a few months back with sample settings for flangers, and my mxr evh one (i'm guessing the regular 4-button one would work, too) could do pretty reasonable approximations of other modulation types when set to those settings.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Have you considered a multi effects pedal to experiment with? I have a Zoom G3 in my loop for the occasional times I need modulation (and delay) and it does a great job for the few times I need something.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
EHX The Worm is a Phaser, Tremelo and Vibe all in one pedal.  
If you just don't like wah that's one thing but if you don't like the feel of using one then perhaps a spring loaded wah would work for you. Essentially it pushes back to the zero position so you only have to worry about pushing down the toe for "wah" and lifting off it for "ow" which I find a lot more intuitive. Besides that I'd say the phaser is probably the most widely usable of the modulations you listed - purely my opinion, not fact - but I'd say try each out for a while, see whether it makes you want it to stay there.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 
Quote by Gosss
EHX The Worm is a Phaser, Tremelo and Vibe all in one pedal.  

i asked about it a while back, and apparently it's terrible. i never tried one, though.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i asked about it a while back, and apparently it's terrible. i never tried one, though.

I had one - it's not "terrible" but it's certainly not great - I sold mine.  It doesn't cut through - the tremolo is very weak and it doesn't do any of the fx particularly well.  
Quote by Dave_Mc

The wah effect is quite good, I use it on my board instead of a 'manual' wah (I've never got on with expression pedals).  Fortunately the songs I need it for are of similar enough tempo that I don't need to mess with the settings each time I use it.  Never even tried the other effects on it.

Trouble is, you really want wah before your amp/distortion, with the other effects being after.  That kind of limits its use depending where you put it.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by K33nbl4d3
If you just don't like wah that's one thing but if you don't like the feel of using one then perhaps a spring loaded wah would work for you. Essentially it pushes back to the zero position so you only have to worry about pushing down the toe for "wah" and lifting off it for "ow" which I find a lot more intuitive. Besides that I'd say the phaser is probably the most widely usable of the modulations you listed - purely my opinion, not fact - but I'd say try each out for a while, see whether it makes you want it to stay there.

That is what I am doing, tying them out. Phaser is my favourite modulation effect, but in pop or with the brass band it is hard to fit. Another problem I encountered is that I do not like the Corona build quality, that is why I overlook it but it features a cool regular/tri-chours switch that allows me to instantly change the intensity. It used to be the modulation on the board. Also, the small clone needs a mod as it pops when I engage/disengage the effect. I am starting to like the MXR Flanger a lot.