Hi guys, 

So I've been playing on a Fender Blues Jr. (2009) for about five years now. Bought the amp because I wanted a tube amp which I also could use at home, and liked the SRV/John Mayer sound. I always played on Fender guitars, but recently got me Gibson LP. The Blues Jr. doesnt sound as good on the LP in my opinion. I don't gig very often, but when I do, the Blues Jr. has some trouble staying clean on louder volumes. I'm thinking of buying a new amp which sounds good with single coils and humbuckers, sounds good when played on low and high volumes, stays clean on higher volumes and handles pedals well. I don't really like built-in effects, and my budget is +- €500 (about 600 dollars?) 

I recently played a VOX AC15 which I really liked, but I think it has (like the Blues Jr.) only one sound. Maybe I just liked it because it's something different, I don't know. Do you guys have any suggestions/tips on what amps to look for? Maybe a moddeling amp? I don't really know much about the amp market, so I hope you guys can help me. BTW, I dont mind buying used amps/gear, in fact, i like it better than buying new gear

Thanks!
if you could describe the tone you are seeking a little better we could give you better advice.

I would look at a DSL 40c. they have a nice OD channel to work with, and they will hang with a band to a degree. replace the speaker with a v30 and you should be good to go.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Yea, some concrete examples of tones would help us to give better advice, but a Peavey Delta Blues or Classic 30 could work well for you.
Quote by ~Luke~
Yea, some concrete examples of tones would help us to give better advice, but a Peavey Delta Blues or Classic 30 could work well for you.

+1
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Sshaky89 If you are looking at tube amps, most likely you are going to end up with "one sound" from the amp. Tube modeling is not very common, and tube amps tend to do their voicing only, but do it well. Some amps, like the Peavey Valveking, boast a Fender-voiced clean channel and a Marshall-voiced dirty channel. If you can choose a base "tone" from an amp, you can get other tones from it using pedals, different settings, and the like. However I would not suggest to try to get Metallica out of a Fender, but with the right pedal you could make it work.

If you lean towards the clean/breakup blues sound, maybe a solution is just to get a higher headroom Fender amp. A few suggestions for that area are the DRRI (22w), Hot Rod Deluxe (40w), Twin Reverb (85W!). The Twin Reverb will likely tear your house apart before you get it to break up, though.

VOX amps can do blues, but I would prefer a Fender voicing before VOX for blues. Another option may be the Fender Bassbreaker series, which will resemble the Fender cleans you know but will get a bit of Brit-inspired drive when you turn them up. The Classic 30 is roughly a VOX voicing with some American inspiration. Either way, if you want the amps to remain clean when using humbuckers, you will likely need more headroom (more wattage).

You could also consider modeling. In your budget there is the Atomic Amplifire. Below your budget are floorboards like the POD HD500. With either one of those modeling systems, though, they will need external amplification like a powered wedge FRFR monitor. Most modeling amps with speakers are the cheap SS practice amps. If you boost your budget around $300 USD more you might could snag one of the new Line 6 Helix LT's, which you would likely never need to buy an "amp" ever again after purchasing.
Last edited by Will Lane at Apr 11, 2017,
SRV and John Mayer make me think of loud American voiced amps with a little bit of grit here and there.  Check out the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Hot Rod Deville, DRRI, or maybe something like a used Egnater Tweaker 40 or even a Rebel 30.  Then throw in an OD pedal for some grit options.  I like the Fulltone Fulldrive Mosfet 2, and I think Mayer even used it for a while, too.  And SRV was all about stacking a bunch of Tube Screamers, so you can't go wrong with one (or more) of those, either.
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
barden1069 
I have both the fulldrive 2 mosfet and the TS808. I also use a TC darkmatter for more of distorted sound. The thing is, I already have that JM/SRV sound, but I would love to get that Joe Bonamassa dirty blues sound, the Guns n Roses sound, I love James Bay and I also play a lot of country. I just can't find the amp that does it all, on stage and at home. The Fender Hot Rods are way to loud for playing at home for me, so is the Twin Reverb (wich I LOVE btw, it's just to expensive for me). I'll have to sell some gear to get a Twin, and thats not really an option for me now. However, I am willing to sell the Blues Jr. to buy a new amp.

I''ve been looking on the internet for that Rebel 30, thing is, I live in The Netherlands and those amps are nowhere to be found round here. (BTW, sorry for my bad grammar). While searching, I came across a Fender Superchamp X2 tube head with 80W fender cabinet. It's a tube amp, but is has some profiling/moddeling options in it which you can update/change trough USB. Any experience with those kindda amps?
Last edited by Sshaky89 at Apr 12, 2017,
Will Lane 
Can't find that Peavy Valveking and  Atomic Amplifire in my country (Netherlands). I also use a pedalboard (fulldrive 2, ts808, qtron, tc darkmatter, aqua puss, RV-6, a wah, DD-6 and a MXR micro amp) which i really like, so I'm not really into those floorboards. Thanks for the response tho, I'm rechearching everything you guys suggest!
Sshaky89
Consider Quilter. Solid state, but non-modeling. Good tone, takes pedals well. Here's one of their 101 heads: 50w on some channels, 100w on others. @$300; @4lbs.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
InB4 Danny recommends Quil...

Sigh

Danny did you buy some stock in Quilter amps a few months back?
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Evilnine

Just slightly less than I bought in Reverend.

Quilters were some of the amps that almost took me off the path of buying my Orange, even though they didn't sound anything like what I was actively seeking.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

dannyalcatraz

Yeah yeah I'm still gasssing for a Reverend

Thanks Danny
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

The DSL40C is a good option, also some of the H&K amps, like Tubemeister series might be a good option. Laney Lionheart series might be voiced more for what you're after.
Egnater Tweaker is also an amp that offers a lot of options and in a way it could be called an all tube modeling amp. OP, for what you need probably a Tweaker 40 watt would be perfect.
Quote by dannyalcatraz

- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

I'd be all over that, but I'm tapped right now.

The Vox AC15 is a 1 trick pony. It is a great sounding amp but not versatile. It also lacks a lot of bass like the Blues Jr. It has built in reverb and tremolo.

The Fender Hot Rod Deluxe is voiced similar to the Blues jr but it has way more bass than the Blues Jr. It is very loud and can easily keep up with a drummer while still having clean headroom. It is a great blues amp. It has a gain channel but it is not that great, the clean channel with the Fender voice is what makes this amp a great amp. It takes pedals very well. 

There is also the Marshall DSL40C. It is a great rock amp. Has good bass projection, better than either the Blues jr and the AC15 but not as full ad the HRD. It has good cleans that sound like rock cleans and 80s metal cleans. The greatest feature is the crunch sound of this amp. It get breakup but not too distorted or compressed. Then there is the lead channel with 2 different tones. Very usable distortion.
I have a HRD, and I love it. But the dirt channel is pretty bad. I haven't personally tried this, but Phillip McKnight posted this vid about a simple tube swap that could make the dirt channel more usable, and also tames the HRD's notorious volume control issues.

Quote by Will Lane
Sshaky89 If you are looking at tube amps, most likely you are going to end up with "one sound" from the amp. Tube modeling is not very common, and tube amps tend to do their voicing only, but do it well. Some amps, like the Peavey Valveking, boast a Fender-voiced clean channel and a Marshall-voiced dirty channel. If you can choose a base "tone" from an amp, you can get other tones from it using pedals, different settings, and the like. However I would not suggest to try to get Metallica out of a Fender, but with the right pedal you could make it work.

If you lean towards the clean/breakup blues sound, maybe a solution is just to get a higher headroom Fender amp. A few suggestions for that area are the DRRI (22w), Hot Rod Deluxe (40w), Twin Reverb (85W!). The Twin Reverb will likely tear your house apart before you get it to break up, though.

VOX amps can do blues, but I would prefer a Fender voicing before VOX for blues. Another option may be the Fender Bassbreaker series, which will resemble the Fender cleans you know but will get a bit of Brit-inspired drive when you turn them up. The Classic 30 is roughly a VOX voicing with some American inspiration. Either way, if you want the amps to remain clean when using humbuckers, you will likely need more headroom (more wattage).

You could also consider modeling. In your budget there is the Atomic Amplifire. Below your budget are floorboards like the POD HD500. With either one of those modeling systems, though, they will need external amplification like a powered wedge FRFR monitor. Most modeling amps with speakers are the cheap SS practice amps. If you boost your budget around $300 USD more you might could snag one of the new Line 6 Helix LT's, which you would likely never need to buy an "amp" ever again after purchasing.

Problem with the valveking is that it doesn't do the "fender clean" or the "marshall dirt" very well. I changed the speaker in mine and tried every pre-amp tube combination imaginable and the amp just sucks. The only word I can use to describe it's tone is harsh. I gave up on it and bought a monoprice 15w tube amp ($180) that sounds 1000 times better. It only has 1 channel though. A few pedals(and guitars) however can get you where you want to go with most amps.
Quote by Sshaky89
barden1069
I have both the fulldrive 2 mosfet and the TS808. I also use a TC darkmatter for more of distorted sound. The thing is, I already have that JM/SRV sound, but I would love to get that Joe Bonamassa dirty blues sound, the Guns n Roses sound, I love James Bay and I also play a lot of country. I just can't find the amp that does it all, on stage and at home. The Fender Hot Rods are way to loud for playing at home for me, so is the Twin Reverb (wich I LOVE btw, it's just to expensive for me). I'll have to sell some gear to get a Twin, and thats not really an option for me now. However, I am willing to sell the Blues Jr. to buy a new amp.

I''ve been looking on the internet for that Rebel 30, thing is, I live in The Netherlands and those amps are nowhere to be found round here. (BTW, sorry for my bad grammar). While searching, I came across a Fender Superchamp X2 tube head with 80W fender cabinet. It's a tube amp, but is has some profiling/moddeling options in it which you can update/change trough USB. Any experience with those kindda amps?

I am guessing you are in the UK so amps to consider are Marshall DSL, Valve King, and Laney for decent clean and Brit crunch.  I have the Super Champ XD and it does SRV/Mayer/Bonamassa pretty well.  It is a good practice amp at low volume and also my pocket rig for small pub gigs.  With a V30 in your cab she will be just loud enough to run with a drummer but probably not much louder than your BJr.  Certainly worth a look as I picked this one up for $200 used and the vintage amp tone is quite tasty.

Protip:  No amp "does it all" at home and on stage.  They are all a compromise in one way or another.   Choose the best tool for your needs now and expect your needs and tastes to change over time.  I have owned over 30 tube amps in my life and I am now pared down to just 4.  It's what we do.  
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at May 23, 2017,
Quote by hotrodney71
Problem with the valveking is that it doesn't do the "fender clean" or the "marshall dirt" very well. I changed the speaker in mine and tried every pre-amp tube combination imaginable and the amp just sucks. The only word I can use to describe it's tone is harsh. I gave up on it and bought a monoprice 15w tube amp ($180) that sounds 1000 times better. It only has 1 channel though. A few pedals(and guitars) however can get you where you want to go with most amps.

Sorry you didn't like it. It is surely not exactly a Fender and a Marshall in the same box, and for sure it would not be my first choice for professional use- but for a > $300 amp it is a good choice for many players to get into the tube amp world. It does the Fender and Marshall voicings well enough for me considering their price tag.

Probably the reason you liked the Monoprice amp more is (iirc) because it was based of a Laney which was based off a VOX AC, which we all know are the most superior amps in existence.
Last edited by Will Lane at May 24, 2017,
Yeah I've read that the monoprice was the same amp(re-branded) as one of the laney models. I toiled with the valve king for a few months which actually had a lot of features I liked, but just couldn't get the tones out of it no matter what I tried. Grabbed the monoprice 15 on sale and it was a revelation - this was the classic rock tone I had been searching for, even with the stock chinese tubes and stock 70/80 speaker. Even my girlfriend who knows nothing about guitars or amps commented on how much better my new amp sounded. I've since put better tubes in it and swapped the 70/80 with a wgs reaper. The upgrades were marginal however. It sounded pretty damn good stock. I've since bought the monoprice 5w which is a completely different amp and tone from the 15 but also a very good amp.