I am looking for a new tube amp head to balance out my EVH 5153. I love the EVH and am just looking for a different sound tonally to balance that out. I do need a clean channel and preferably high gain. Budget will probably be $1000 max, I am a bedroom musician and do not gig.

Wattage does not matter I can dial in 100w and 50w provided theres a master volume, I tend to stay away from lunchbox heads because in my experience they generally lack the low end thump because of the OT. I am always ready to be proved wrong though.

Music styles are Opeth to Mastodon to dirty blues. 

I will probably be buying used and online via GC or Rerverb. I am near many stores unfortunately I do lack time to get out there and devote time to trying them out.

Currently I am looking at a Mesa Dual Rec Tremoverb and a MKI Orange Rockerverb.  
Thanks in advance for any guidance. I'm open to suggestions.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Charvel So Cal Pro Mod, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
What is the EVH head not doing that you are wanting? The EVH should be ~British in nature so the immediate solution would be to get an ~American natured amp, so a Mesa. The Orange would be similar to the EVH as they are both Brit-based but the Orange might would be a bit thicker.
That is why I was thinking of the Orange, granted they are Brit based but the Orange is just its own animal. 
The EVH is a great amp, Not really missing anything out of it, I just like having two amps for versatility. The EVH gets to high gain very fast and channel 2 is shared (EQ) with channel 1, sometimes it makes a mid-gain sound a little tough but other than that its stellar (IMO).
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Charvel So Cal Pro Mod, Schecter Banshee 7
Line 6 M13
Used Mesa Roadster.  I found a 212 combo in mint condition for $1100 locally so deals pop up from time to time.  
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
I actually just got a Rockerverb 50 MKI.  It's definitely its own beast.  Lots of low mids and low end.  It can get very saturated, but it's not tight.  It's looser and fuzzy.  I would think it would go well with an amp voiced for upper mids to fill out the sound.
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
I'm one for a Rec. Open, fat, a nice complement to the tight, compressed nature of the 5150.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
I was veering toward the Rockerverb but I used to love my old single rec but the clean channel was not too great. I have heard that the tremoverb cleans are superb to the single and dual.
Line 6 M13
Quote by bobafettacheese
Currently I am looking at a Mesa Dual Rec Tremoverb and a MKI Orange Rockerverb.  
Thanks in advance for any guidance. I'm open to suggestions.

Can't go wrong there with either one, even with the MKII Rockerverb.
Look up the Mesa Mini Recto - I don't think it lacks "thump", I put it back to back with the full version of it and it was almost identical in terms of voicing and sound.
The Mark V, Mark IV or Mark V (Petrucci's amp which is Mark II) are all great amps that will do everything well.
I am afraid that once you'd go any of the ^ you might ditch the Peavey altogether

BTW - original Opeth up to Damnation/Deliverance were on Laney amps, VH or TT heads, like these, which BTW are fantastic gigging amps if you can still find one:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/laney-vh100r-100w-tube-guitar-amp-head
http://en.euroguitar.com/amp/laney/tt/100h/114881.html

Laney GH series might also be worth checking out:
http://www.laney.co.uk/products/gh100r/
^ Great info. I was actually very close to coming to terms with a Mark IV but the seller didn't negotiate too much. I have thought about the mini Rectos and always wondered about the low end due to the smaller tranny.
Line 6 M13
I've had my Mesa Mini right next to a big one that is voiced the same (newer Recto, I think they're 120 watt). It was almost identical in sound, can't say it was much different, pretty much at same settings sounded almost identical up to a certain volume, of course. I am very happy with mine.
I have a Tremoverb and love it. I also have a Rockerverb 50mki and I love that too.

pairing a 5150 to a Rockerverb would net you more versatility.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Thought it's not a "lunchbox" but only 30 watts, I suggest you check out the Orange TH30. I've been using one for about the last year and I am in love with it.

First off, the amp has PLENTY of low end/low mids and can absolutely thump, if that's what you want. Despite being lower wattage, I have no doubt it has all the thump you could ask for.

The dirty channel nails the "Orange" tone and can do classic rock to high-gain madness. The clean side, however, is maybe one of the best kept secrets about this amp - I absolutely love it and to be honest I haven't watched any demo videos that do it justice. It's got just a little bit of a compressed feel that I find super comfortable and the notes really pop. It can handle clean picking to a "clean but chewy" kind of blues tone on its own if you crank the channel a bit.

The clean channel really shines when boosted into dirty territory with an OD that's got a decent amount of gain in it, like my Blues Pro. My default lead sound exactly this combination. It cuts through the mix as well as any amp I've played.

The EQ options are very minimal (single tone on the dirty side, high/low on the clean) but I personally think this helps the amp really accentuate each guitar you plug into it, and I feel the end result is very "natural" sounding tones.

I'm also a total slut for EL-84's, but that's a different (amp releated erotica) story.
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
Last edited by sjones at Apr 13, 2017,
@dannyalcatraz you could put some weight in here if you manage to hook yours up one of these decades...
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
I actually used to have a TH30, great amp. Once I got used to the jump between the channels I loved that amp. Eventually I got to the point where I started to notice the lack of low end. Throwing an EQ helped that amp greatly as well.
Right now I am watching a TH100 on the bay, but still have my sights set on a Rockerverb or Mesa. I have been back and forth with a guy over a Mark IV, but his pricing has been all over the place.
Line 6 M13
MkIVs are great too. That or a Rockerverb.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
If you can find one on EBay or Reverb the Kustom Double Cross was another creation by James Brown after he left Peavey,  He was the guy responsible for the 5150, 6505 , JSX, XXX and a few others,  The DC was his Masterpiece so to say, Although due to production issues and Kustom just dropping the ball very few were made and the DC went under the radar and out of production soon after,   This amp will go from smooth clean to rough and dirty to insane distortion  like a duck goes from air to land to water,  Totally tweakable on all fronts,   Choice of cab is optional, I like it with it with its DC Coupe V 30 cab but it also sounds killer with a custom built 412 Tone Tubby Red and 40/40 set up, 
Last edited by nastytroll at Apr 14, 2017,
Quote by trashedlostfdup
@dannyalcatraz you could put some weight in here if you manage to hook yours up one of these decades...

F.Y.I., two of the last 3 times yet I've tried to use the "@" function on me, its failed for some reason.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
bobafettacheese
I'm like you- I don't gig.

As you may or may not know, I just got my TH30 for Christmas and a 212 cab early this month. Haven't had a chance to try it at home, but gave it some test laps at my FLMS. I bought it to do stoner/doom stuff my HRD couldn't touch...and IMHO, it delivered. The last time I tried it in store, I was using a guitar equipped with a trio of Bareknuckle Stockholm P90s, tuned to CGDAEG. No pedals, just axe & amp, at a volume respectful of the ears of other shoppers.

When I hit some chords that let the C ring, the low notes hit like Thor's hammer. My salesman almost got whiplash turning around to see what I was doing. I knew then it was a keeper.

Besides that or the other amps mentioned already, you might want to consider Carvin's modern lineup. The Vai Legacy 3 (100w), V3 (100w), and V3M (50w) all have a lot of of tones on tap. As I recall, all 3 are three channel amps. And though most players use them for cleaner tones, I've found a few vids where players had coaxed convincing high-gain metal tones out of them good enough for gigging...because that's how they were using them,

To put it in perspective, the Carvin amps were one of the main reasons it took me so long to decide on the Orange...and one of them will probably still find it's way into my home.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!