Poll: Which would you pick?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which would you pick?
Orange
13 57%
H&K
5 22%
Egnater
1 4%
Vox
4 17%
I play drums
0 0%
Voters: 23.
Vote in the poll for the head you would pick.
If you have any other mini heads in mind, that can be dialed down in wattage, post it.

Orange OR15H 15-watt Tube Head
15W Tube Guitar Head with Switchable Output to 7W, and 3-band EQ

Hughes & Kettner TubeMeister Deluxe 20 - 20/5/1-watt Tube Head
2-channel Guitar Head with Selectable 20/5/1 Watts, Power Soak, Effects Loop, and Built-in Red Box DI

Egnater Tweaker 15-watt Tube Head
15-watt Tube Guitar Amplifier with Configurable Tone and Voicing Options

Vox AC15CH 15-watt Tube Head
15-watt 2-channel All-tube Guitar Amplifier Head with Tremolo, Reverb, and Reactive Attenuator
Mesa Mini Rectifier 10 watt / 25 watt
Mesa Mark V 25 watt
Laney IRT series

Might have to look for these used:
Orange Dark Terror
Orange Tiny Terror

I think the H&Ks are hybrid, so not sure you'd want these but try them out.
diabolical 
I would love a Mesa/Boogie, but they are expensive.
The Orange dark and tiny I have considered but they were "high gain" and I need something that does cleans well.
The OR15 can do the cleans, and I like my little Orange Micro Dark, I think it sounds great so if that's their low end amp I imagine the OR15 would be real nice.
Your post didn't mention that you need "clean" cleans, just a generic list of amps I guess...

Might not be a bad idea to revise kinda what you're looking for in terms of tone exactly.

I think the Dual Terror actually had a "cleaner" clean channel. The Tiny Terror is not a high amp by any means, mid gain at best maybe.
Quilter 101

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by diabolical
Your post didn't mention that you need "clean" cleans, just a generic list of amps I guess...

Might not be a bad idea to revise kinda what you're looking for in terms of tone exactly.

I think the Dual Terror actually had a "cleaner" clean channel. The Tiny Terror is not a high amp by any means, mid gain at best maybe.

You're correct about the tiny, it's their dark series that tend to the high gain.
The thing is I can't imagine buying an amp that didn't do a good clean sound even if you want to do rock, but that's me, a good clean is important to me.
I kind of like that Vox but I'm concerned how pedals would sound through it, seems like Voxs whole thing is "super clean".
Quote by diabolical
Vox are not what I'd call clean, they're "pushed" clean at best. Good amps, but definitely on the bit of the retro side.

Youtube vids of the AC15H are crystal clean, and yeah their crunchy side is clean crunch.
Laney IRT-Studio - 3 channels, FX Loop, Recording & USB interfaces, Re-Amping, 15W and <1W settings.  The cleans are fantastic, the Rhythm channel goes to Thrash easily and the Lead Channel is good too.  Lots of tweaking options on the EQ if you want them.  

And the <1W setting through a pair of V30s with the volume at 6 (right before the 2x EL84s start to break up) would piss off apartment neighbors.  

I've owned it for a few months now, it's a great amp.  The only thing I would change at this point is the native speaker emulation.  
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
diabolical I play at home with it and just run it into my laptop running Peavey ReValver and just load up those impulses.  The HK Redbox looks great for just going to the front of the house.  
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
metalmingee 
That's one of the criteria, I need it to be fairly quiet and still get tone out of it.
That Laney is definitely interesting and feature packed for the price, as for the HK redbox the HK Amp up above has one built in, the downside of that HK amp is a powersoak which heats the amp up, seeing complaints of over heating.

Also not sure how I feel about their tube life auto bias dealy.
Last edited by 33db at Apr 11, 2017,
Orange DUAL terror . Same first channel (tiny terror) and a little bit more aggressive 'fat' channel. 30 watts is nice IMO.

can you stretch to a rocker 30 or thunder 30?

OR15s are neat little amps though.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I owned and gigged with an Orange TT for a while.  It's a nice amp if you want to get into Plexi territory and the clean tone is Hendrix clean, nor Doobie Bros clean.  I like the lil AC15 but have never owned one.  I would get that.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by trashedlostfdup
Orange DUAL terror . Same first channel (tiny terror) and a little bit  more aggressive 'fat' channel. 30 watts is nice IMO.

can you stretch to a rocker 30 or thunder 30?

OR15s are neat little amps though.

The OR15 is in my price range, I think the one you're suggesting is ~$900 but it appears to shut tubes off to get its lower wattage rather than use a power soak, can't say for sure though.
I like the orange sound.
Quote by Cajundaddy
I owned and gigged with an Orange TT for a while.  It's a nice amp if you want to get into Plexi territory and the clean tone is Hendrix clean, nor Doobie Bros clean.  I like the lil AC15 but have never owned one.  I would get that.

For the way I play these days I think the Vox would be a good amp, and it appears they have a good rep too.
Gee the lowest watt amp I have is 72,  the rest are all 100 or above,  They have these funny little knobs on them, the ones you might be interested in would be the Master Volume and Channel Volume,  Believe it or not if set correctly even a full stack of V-30s can be whisper quite and clean as a whistle or as dirty and obnoxious as a 5 dollar whore,   Personally I think these micro heads are just another money making marketing ploy by the manufactures to shove more Chinese made crap down the youth of todays throats,   Yea but master volume amps change the sound. Yea ok go buy some old vinyl LP's and a vintage phonograph and join the audiophile fan club, Other than that just play the damn guitar and shut up,  
nastytroll
Quote by nastytroll
Gee the lowest watt amp I have is 72,  the rest are all 100 or above,  They have these funny little knobs on them, the ones you might be interested in would be the Master Volume and Channel Volume,  Believe it or not if set correctly even a full stack of V-30s can be whisper quite and clean as a whistle or as dirty and obnoxious as a 5 dollar whore,   Personally I think these micro heads are just another money making marketing ploy by the manufactures to shove more Chinese made crap down the youth of todays throats,   Yea but master volume amps change the sound. Yea ok go buy some old vinyl LP's and a vintage phonograph and join the audiophile fan club, Other than that just play the damn guitar and shut up,  

There's a difference in the way the amp I have now sounds at "2" than at "7", I believe that to be true of most amps as it was that way with my previous amplifiers.

I often see people talking about how great tube amps sound when cranked up.
So am I wrong in this? Do amps not sound different in tone when cranked up?

Also i don't gig, so why pay for a 100 watt amp if I only need 15 to 20, and most of the time not even that.
I should probably just buy that hand wired Vox at 4 watts.
Tube amps do sound and respond to your playing differently when you crank them up, but that being said even 1 watt is going to be really loud cranked.  As in, too loud for apartment use.  Personally I'd say the OR15 is my favorite out of those, but I'm an Orange fanboy.  Have you checked out the Vox Night Train?  They currently offer the G2 version of it, which has more options than the original but not selectable wattage.  The originals can be had really cheap, and have selectable wattage.  Or if you want something voiced differently, maybe check out a Carvin V3M.  It's 50 watts, but it has a super clean channel and good distortion and has a really small footprint.  Just something kinda out of left field.
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
barden1069
I think Orange is winning with me so far, watched a few demos of it on youtube and it doesn't get muddy with the gain up, plus it has decent cleans.
I'd go Orange but mostly because I dont' know anything about the other brands. 
They can't stop us Let 'em try For heavy metal We will die!
There is a scientific reason why louder things often sound better to us than quiet things. Not gonna get into it, but there's real research behind it. But good amps tend to sound good at many volume levels,

Part of the reason why you'd buy a higher wattage amp is features. Sometimes, there's bragging rights involved too. But there's also what they call "headroom"- essentially, how loudly you can play without distortion from the amp itself. If you were going to have to play a gig where you'd push a 20w amp into blistering incoherence just to keep up with the band and the ambient noise of the space, a 50w amp might be the tool that lets your preferred tones through.

But if all you want is an amp that will achieve your desired (amp) distortion tones, find a good sounding, low power amp.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Also, seconding the V3M.

Well the V3M is packed with goodies at $560, I hate to say it but it makes me wonder how they put that feature set in at that price and made in San Diego.
Carvin doesn't have a huge budget for advertising and so forth. They're like 99% direct sales.

also when you have no r and d budget. they have one idea a day and then they put it all together every 10 years and put out a new thing
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by 33db
The OR15 is in my price range, I think the one you're suggesting is ~$900 but it appears to shut tubes off to get its lower wattage rather than use a power soak, can't say for sure though.
I like the orange sound.

it shuts two down on the back when you have it set that way, and it runs (i think forgive me if the word is wrong) but full tube or triode on the front. so 30w/15w/7w you can get out of the amp.

no power soak.

The orange sound is indeed beautiful. I also have a Rockerverb
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by 33db
Well the V3M is packed with goodies at $560, I hate to say it but it makes me wonder how they put that feature set in at that price and made in San Diego.

don't worry, they are solidly built and IMO sound great. no need to be skeptical
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
+1 for the quality of Carvin no high marketing bills and factory direct sales allows for the low price, out of those you listed I'd go for the Orange .
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

^ also when you try to get something repaired at Carvin you usually get scowled and gotta fight them at every step...that at least is my experience with PA gear that my band had. One of the power amps failed and it was a nightmare to fix, ended up paying a local guy to do the work as it was 1/2 what it would've cost me to ship to Carvin and back.I think still their gear is good price though and have recommended the V3 line in the past.
Compared to Marshall and H&K whose philosophy of support is "sending letter to the dead", the Carvin support might be considered exemplary
dannyalcatraz have you used your amp yet? or have you not got a speaker cable yet.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
As I was shifting stuff around for holiday prep, I noticed that I had thought ahead and bought my cable when I got the head.

Alas, I haven't had the opportunity to plug & play: been kinda busy, been kinda ill, been kinda unlucky.

For example, after doing some baking and picking my cousin up from his late shift, I was going to make my bed, shower and sack out. The laaaaast thing I was going to do before the last 3 was a partial clean up of the kitchen, including taking out the garbage. When I took out the garbage, I turned around and realized the bag had leaked.

So, at 2:30AM, I was on my hands @ knees cleaning up a 20-30 yard trail of milky white liquid.

dannyalcatraz you are a weird breed. lol. I have something home and play it ASAP. I will get off your ass. for now... lol.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!