Page 1 of 2
Hi guys a few years back i got pretty handy on the guitar (pun intended) stopped playing and sold my axes, and now 3 years later feel the need to start playing again... problem is although i could play one pretty well i never really learned what specifically was good about my guitars, or very much about them at all, different fret boards, pick ups that kinda stuff.. my previous guitars were a jackson king V 600 model i think, and an ibanez MTM2 (the most beautiful thing you will ever play if your lucky enough to get one) cant find another MTM2 anywhere, dont really fancy another V and honestly dont really know what other guitar i could go for...... i like to play alot of slipknot and lamb of god, but i dont know what guitar would be best for that style of music...

im setting my budget at £250-£300, and would like something with a great action.. iv been looking at LTDs and the IBANEZ S series (got told to steer clear of the RG series) but all video reviews i see are classic rock so im yet to see either guitars really perform how i want them too........ all ideas and help greatly appreciated thanks in advance
Thread was moved to forum: Electric Guitar
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
why would someone tell you to stay away from RG's?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
why would someone tell you to stay away from RG's?

Unless they meant the Gio's/GRG.
RG's are well regarded. The S-series are good as well, but it just comes down to preference. It might not be a bad idea to hit up some guitar shops and get a feel for what's available and what you like from there.
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.

justinguitar.com is the answer
bjgrifter i think it was the Gio version yeah, just since being told it iv felt uneasy about getting any RG,..... was looking at jackson js32q dinky, last night, any thoughts on it??

also my closest guitar shop is in a whole different city, without spending a ton on travel ill need to order online
at that budget you really don't want a trem. ibanez rg421, rg321, etc would be a good starting point for ibanez RG's.

if you go Jackson try to avoid the JS series. if possible I would look for a mij jackson.

ltd may have some offerings. try to hit the 400 series if you can.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by trashedlostfdup
at that budget you really don't want a trem. ibanez rg421, rg321, etc would be a good starting point for ibanez RG's.

if you go Jackson try to avoid the JS series. if possible I would look for a mij jackson.

ltd may have some offerings. try to hit the 400 series if you can.

whats wrong with the js32q? heard nothing but good reviews... which would you say is better between the rg421 and rg 321, both look the same to me (as stated i know nothing about the different equipment on guitars haha)

also only ltd models i can find within price range are m10, m50 or an f10
Quote by brok3nxemail
Hi guys a few years back i got pretty handy on the guitar (pun intended) stopped playing and sold my axes, and now 3 years later feel the need to start playing again... problem is although i could play one pretty well i never really learned what specifically was good about my guitars, or very much about them at all, different fret boards, pick ups that kinda stuff.. my previous guitars were a jackson king V 600 model i think, and an ibanez MTM2 (the most beautiful thing you will ever play if your lucky enough to get one) cant find another MTM2 anywhere, dont really fancy another V and honestly dont really know what other guitar  i could go for......  i like to play alot of slipknot and lamb of god, but i dont know what guitar would be best for that style of music...

im setting my budget at £250-£300, and would like something with a great action.. iv been looking at LTDs and the IBANEZ S series (got told to steer clear of the RG series) but all video reviews i see are classic rock so im yet to see either guitars really perform how i want them too........ all ideas and help greatly appreciated thanks in advance

Can you tell us what music you like to play? I currently own a couple of ESPs and I love them! I owned an Ibanez Gio at one time and hated it! There's quite a number a really good ESP guitars around $250 US dollars.
Quote by intheJungle
Can you tell us what music you like to play? I currently own a couple of ESPs and I love them! I owned an Ibanez Gio at one time and hated it! There's quite a number a really good ESP guitars around $250 US dollars.

love playing anything by lamb of god, laid to rest was the first real song i learned haha, lots of the older slipknot, some machine head, disturbed, the heavier old linkin park songs,.. if it helps ill add that im no good with solos and shredding, i preffer to go wild with some heavy low riffs, throw in some pinches and add some little stuff from the middle strings... my main comfort zone is middle-top of the neck, trying to stay on the e, a and d strings... hope that helps
Quote by brok3nxemail
love playing anything by lamb of god, laid to rest was the first real song i learned haha, lots of the older slipknot, some machine head, disturbed, the heavier old linkin park songs,.. if it helps ill add that im no good with solos and shredding, i preffer to go wild with some heavy low riffs,  throw in some pinches and add some little stuff from the middle strings... my main comfort zone is middle-top of the neck, trying to stay on the e, a and d strings... hope that helps

ESP definitely seems like your place to get a guitar then in my opinion. I've heard pretty good things about this guitar http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/esp-ltd-ec-100qm-electric-guitar

I own this one, however it's a bit more pricey
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/esp-ltd-ec-256-electric-guitar/h96672

the other one I have was discontinued a while back
Quote by intheJungle
ESP definitely seems like your place to get a guitar then in my opinion. I've heard pretty good things about this guitar http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/esp-ltd-ec-100qm-electric-guitar

I own this one, however it's a bit more pricey
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/esp-ltd-ec-256-electric-guitar/h96672

the other one I have was discontinued a while back

rather surprised there, didnt expect the les paul shaped ones to give me what i wanted, expected them to suite more of a rock vibe.. but then i know very little,other than how to play haha.. would you say its worthing adding the little extra cash for the one you have?
An LP shaped guitar with EMG's, like the ESP/LTD Eclipse suggested above are probably a good choice. LP's don't have the best upper fret access or particularly fast neck but that sounds like something that won't worry you anyways. 

As long as you got a hot humbucker in the bridge you will be good to go.  If your'e not going to be playing much lead I would skip the floyd and stick with a fixed bridge of some kind.  Does Ibanez still make the SZ series?  I've been out of the loop for the past few years.  Those guitars were pretty cool.  Neck through body and fixed bridge.  Nice playing guitars. Maybe see if you can find one used. 
Last edited by risingforce1 at Apr 13, 2017,
Quote by risingforce1
An LP shaped guitar with EMG's, like the ESP/LTD Eclipse suggested above are probably a good choice. LP's don't have the best upper fret access or particularly fast neck but that sounds like something that won't worry you anyways. 

As long as you got a hot humbucker in the bridge you will be good to go.  If your'e not going to be playing much lead I would skip the floyd and stick with a fixed bridge of some kind.  Does Ibanez still make the SZ series?  I've been out of the loop for the past few years.  Those guitars were pretty cool.  Neck through body and fixed bridge.  Nice playing guitars. Maybe see if you can find one used. 

yeah im definitely no lead guitarist haha,, how will i know if its got 'hot humbuckers' and a fixed bridge.. sorry if thats a silly question but i litterally know mothing about pickups, bridges, different fretboards etc. i couldnt even tell you what a floyd rose is and im pretty sure thats common knowledge haha.

what particular SZ models you got in mind? ill have a search
An EMG 81 would be a "hot pickup" meaning high output which is what ESP typically puts in their guitars.  EMG's look like solid black/grey plastic boxes with EMG written on them, they are active so run off a 9V battery typically placed in the route in the back.  Of course SD and Dimarzio make some good high output pickups as well.  I have a Seymour Duncan JB4 in my Jackson and it works great.  A fixed bridge means no whammy bar to do divebombs/flutters/etc. on.  A floyd rose is one of the more advanced typs of floating bridges.  GREAT for whammy work but the bridge floats on springs, and tuning it is more involved, so something you probably don't want to deal with if you're never going to use the whammy feature in the first place.  If there is no whammy bar, it's fixed unless someone removed it.  Les Paul's typically are fixed from the factory, so are most other Gibsons (Explorers, SG's, V's).  
Quote by brok3nxemail
rather surprised there, didnt expect the les paul shaped ones to give me what i wanted, expected them to suite more of a rock vibe.. but then i know very little,other than how to play haha.. would you say its worthing adding the little extra cash for the one you have?

Quote by risingforce1

I play some lead on this guitar and don't find too much trouble in doing so. I would honestly say from experience, if you have the money to get the EC-256, do it! I bought that cheap Ibanez when I first started on the electric and I hated it and I eventually got the MH-301 (The discontinued guitar I talked about) Which I enjoy, but I like my EC-256 a lot better. Rhythm parts feel more natural on the EC-256 in my opinion rather than a lead guitar like the MH-301. I've learned a couple of easier solos on the EC-256 and now I'm starting to learn a bit more difficult solo, and while using the metronome of course, I  have not found the EC-256 any more difficult to play. Overall, I think the EC-256 works great, but if you want to get the EC-100QM, I'm sure you won't be disappointed either way. But like I said get the EC-256 if you've got the money for it. The MH301 is a Floyd rose, and while I really like it the bridge has given me so much trouble.
Quote by risingforce1
An EMG 81 would be a "hot pickup" meaning high output which is what ESP typically puts in their guitars.  EMG's look like solid black/grey plastic boxes with EMG written on them, they are active so run off a 9V battery typically placed in the route in the back.  Of course SD and Dimarzio make some good high output pickups as well.  I have a Seymour Duncan JB4 in my Jackson and it works great.  A fixed bridge means no whammy bar to do divebombs/flutters/etc. on.  A floyd rose is one of the more advanced typs of floating bridges.  GREAT for whammy work but the bridge floats on springs, and tuning it is more involved, so something you probably don't want to deal with if you're never going to use the whammy feature in the first place.  If there is no whammy bar, it's fixed unless someone removed it.  Les Paul's typically are fixed from the factory, so are most other Gibsons (Explorers, SG's, V's).  

thanks for the info dude really appreciate it
Quote by intheJungle
I play some lead on this guitar and don't find too much trouble in doing so. I would honestly say from experience, if you have the money to get the EC-256, do it! I bought that cheap Ibanez when I first started on the electric and I hated it and I eventually got the MH-301 (The discontinued guitar I talked about) Which I enjoy, but I like my EC-256 a lot better. Rhythm parts feel more natural on the EC-256 in my opinion rather than a lead guitar like the MH-301. I've learned a couple of easier solos on the EC-256 and now I'm starting to learn a bit more difficult solo, and while using the metronome of course, I  have not found the EC-256 any more difficult to play. Overall, I think the EC-256 works great, but if you want to get the EC-100QM, I'm sure you won't be disappointed either way. But like I said get the EC-256 if you've got the money for it. The MH301 is a Floyd rose, and while I really like it the bridge has given me so much trouble.

saw a beautiful ec100 well within my price range, https://www.gak.co.uk/en/esp-ltd-ec-100qm-stblk-see-thru-black/17230?gclid=Cj0KEQjww7zHBRCToPSj_c_WjZIBEiQAj8il5FZQ-O_K7cICErWHRc-CiQHxFxuNvRHNu9OUlVFkPlwaArWY8P8HAQ

but if payday is nice to me and i can afford a little extra ill go for the ec256. so far it sounds like either one of these will be what ill go for as what youv described really seems to fit my criteria.

still open to any other ideas that you or anyone else might have though, can never have too many options haha
Whatever you end up buying make sure you get it properly setup (especially at that price point).  You get into an entire other tier of guitars when you go LTD 400 Series or Jackson X Series.  Used is by far the best bang for your buck though - way nicer for less money.  

Some of my deals I got used that will all blow away a Jackson JS Series or LTD 200/100 Series quality-wise:

Jackson DKMGT MIJ with EMG 81/85 for about $350 
Jackson Kelly KE3 MIJ with OHSC - < $150
ESP/LTD EC-1001FR - $480 negotiated ($380 due to some undisclosed blemishes)
Fender MIM Strat with OHSC - $230
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by metalmingee
Whatever you end up buying make sure you get it properly setup (especially at that price point).  You get into an entire other tier of guitars when you go LTD 400 Series or Jackson X Series.  Used is by far the best bang for your buck though - way nicer for less money.  

Some of my deals I got used that will all blow away a Jackson JS Series or LTD 200/100 Series quality-wise:

Jackson DKMGT MIJ with EMG 81/85 for about $350 
Jackson Kelly KE3 MIJ with OHSC - < $150
ESP/LTD EC-1001FR - $480 negotiated ($380 due to some undisclosed blemishes)
Fender MIM Strat with OHSC - $230

i know overall second hand would be the best option, i got my king V for £150 and it was worth roughly triple that.. my concern with that is my V was bought from a friend so i got to try and test it first.. id be worried about getting ripped off with a faulty axe when buying online
brok3nxemail In the USA we have sites like Reverb.com and Guitar Center used that have awesome buyer protection / return policies.  Do you have anything similar in your part of the world?  

Can you take someone more knowledgable with you to look at used guitar from a private seller?  

If you are going to buy new, still make sure you purchase from a retailer with a good return/exchange policy.  There are plenty of stories of dud guitars in that price range so you're going to face the same concerns whether you purchase new or used.  
Guitars:
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
metalmingee

i know the guitar shop closest to me is well known and i beleive is a franchise in this country, big store with big name brands, website etc.. not just some corner shop with one dude selling a few strats and SGs hahaha... i will check out the sites youv mentioned anyway, paying a little extra on postage should still be worth it if im getting a good deal on the guitar
I haven't bought a guitar new since my first guitar and I got 5 other guitars since (1 was for my sister and I sold two). I typically shop on kijiji and I go check out the guitar and play it before I buy it.
Quote by risingforce1
I haven't bought a guitar new since my first guitar and I got 5 other guitars since (1 was for my sister and I sold two). I typically shop on kijiji and I go check out the guitar and play it before I buy it.

is kijiji available worldwide? or at least the uk?
metalmingee

major thanks for mentioning reverb.com.. the site seems perfect, set to preowned, uk delivery, and my price range.. already seen some great deals, including a previously mentioned ec256 for less than what i was gonna spend on an ec100 time waste a few hours bargain hunting

so far the 400 series still seem out of price range, but at least i know for a fact now that no matter what i go for ill be saving alot of money
Last edited by brok3nxemail at Apr 13, 2017,
right guys, i comprised a list of what i think is the best deals iv seen on here so far.. i have but one more favour to ask of you and that is to say what you think the best deal, or best few are.. (or if you have time order them best to worst) this way ill have a much better understanding of what to go for..... i also want to say thank you to everyone for helping me here, and for tolerating my lack of guitar knowledge and indecisiveness haha, great community and a great help

schecter omen6 £200, just dont know if it will do what i want it too.

LTD ec256, £213, only downside is its sunburst and iv never been a fan of sunburst :/

schecter C6 plus, again dont know if will do the job.

ibanez iceman ic 120, £250, played one of these before and loved it, but for all i know other things in this list might be much better.

ibanez sas36qm, £268 seemingly discontinued so i cant get an accurate price to compare on, and like the schecters i dont know if it will give me the what 'inthejungle' described LTDs will do.

LTD MH103.. or an LTDM100fm.. . £247 each.. just added a few other LTDs for good measure, as 'inthejungle' mentioned the now unavailable 301 as well.
If you could hold out and possibly find a used LTD in the 400 range you wouldn't regret it. I have Korean made 401 and couldn't stand LP's until I felt it up and played it.
Flying in a blue dream
Quote by risingforce1

I have bought four new, my first four. after that I am upwards of owning over 60 electronics since then, sitting on 20ish now.

I buy a lot of stuff off of reverb,and that will probably the only way I would go for sight unseen from this point. other than a few specialty stores (guitarsandeffects. com, etc) which as widely regarded reputation and ibanezrules. com. things like that.

craigslist type of sites that can be good or bad buyers and some areas have a stupidly high price on some things. but that is where most of mine have come from. good buys, but some times you have to be really patient with bullshit and sometimes after driving an hour and you walk away from the deal with nothing but wasted gas and time. but a lot of times its worth it.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by SanDune65
If you could hold out and possibly find a used LTD in the 400 range you wouldn't regret it. I have Korean made 401 and couldn't stand LP's until I felt it up and played it.

this is certainly an option however it mostly comes down to luck.. or raising my budget a couple hundred, there is a 401 for £330 which would be an easy stretch but payday is nearly 2weeks away and i fear by then it will be sold, leaving only £480+ ones... perhaps waiting til next month might be a good idea, increasing my budget.. i just know my girlfriend is gonna be mad when she finds out iv spent nearly half a grand on a guitar when weve got a house to run hahaha
brok3nxemail

I love Reverb
Guitars:
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
Quote by SanDune65
She'll get over it

its all good, if she doesnt i can drown out her shouting with some sick riffs haha
You'll get the same heat over a $300 guitar as you will a $500 one. Sweeten her up.
Flying in a blue dream
My buddy played similar music as you, he absolutely loved his BC Rich Warlock. You can get them used for dirt cheap. $250 USD.
Some see the glass half full, others see the glass half empty. Me? I see that the glass is refillable.
Quote by NewDayHappy
My buddy played similar music as you, he absolutely loved his BC Rich Warlock. You can get them used for dirt cheap. $250 USD.

looked at one of those years ago as i loved the shape,, got told to avoid them as there prone to fret peeling :/
Quote by brok3nxemail
looked at one of those years ago as i loved the shape,, got told to avoid them as there prone to fret peeling :/

In an ideal world, you wont be playing a beginner's guitar long enough for that to happen.
Some see the glass half full, others see the glass half empty. Me? I see that the glass is refillable.
Quote by NewDayHappy
In an ideal world, you wont be playing a beginner's guitar long enough for that to happen.

actually just wanting to get one for fun, play some stuff that i used too. im almost certain whatever i buy ill be using for a few years at least.
I'd definitely go used, much more guitar for your money.

The LTD 400 range are excellent. I have an ex-400 (explorer type) that I love.

Another good shout would be an older MIJ Jackson. Usually come in around £300ish. I've played a '92 King V and a late 90s RR3 that we're both excellent guitars.

Check reverb/gumtree. Andertons and guitarguitar used sections as well.
Quote by embryo.synthesi
I'd definitely go used, much more guitar for your money.

The LTD 400 range are excellent. I have an ex-400 (explorer type) that I love.

Another good shout would be an older MIJ Jackson. Usually come in around £300ish. I've played a '92 King V and a late 90s RR3 that we're both excellent guitars.

Check reverb/gumtree. Andertons and guitarguitar used sections as well.

seen a couple of 400series on reverb that are within price range, i think LTD might be the road i go down but ill check into the others as well.. never heard of andertones so ill give there sight a look. as for guitar guitar i know there pretty pricey regardless of new or pre owned haha
Page 1 of 2